Are you superstitious?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

Do you change direction if a black cat crosses your path? Feel a need to toss spilled salt over your left shoulder?
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#2 midnight_ravynhawk

midnight_ravynhawk

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:my kids and husband are definately 1st. music, reading, sports (especially Pittsburgh teams!!!), paranormal studies, cross-stitching, animal lover (especially my 2 dogs) Puddin-a very cute but strange shih-tzu and Yogurt-my loving but way too fat beagle. I am trying to learn about all different kinds of paranormal communication,reiki,ghost hunting,EVP's,taking pictures,etc.

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

Hi Oiche, I do NOT change directions when a black cat crosses my path but, yes I do toss salt over my shoulder. I do Not think that I will have 7 years bad luck if I break a mirror, just bad luck putting on my make-up and doing my hair not having the mirror I broke! :lol: The thing that has worked for me for many years is that I consider a black cat crossing my path to be good luck just like I consider any Friday the 13th a very lucky day. Now in a totally opposite tone, I am very superstitious when it comes to sports!!! I won't let my husband shave or even trim his facially hair if our hockey or football teams make the playoffs!!! And crazy :yawn: game day one's also. Everyone must sit in the same seats to watch the game if we won the previous game or everyone has to switch if we lost. If I cook for the game and we lose, no matter what or how good it was, we can't have that food for the rest of the season. Everyone wears their jersey on game day and if we win they can't be washed and if we lose-gotta wash them. Honestly, we have so many about the sports we love, I could write all night. P.S. - Our teams are the Pittsburgh Steelers and Penguins so we haven't washed the Steelers since they won the Super Bowl and the penguin attire is still filthy too!!! :lol: My husband and I don't want to wash the good juju off.
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!!

#3 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hiya, Ravyn! Thanks for replying:D Gosh! I thought performers were a superstitious lot, but athletes and sports fans have it all over them lol. Those were new ones on me and to an extent I understood the reasoning behind each one-the facial hair one kind of evaded me though

I consider myself logical and cosmopolitan but grew up around theatre, so would sooner take a scalpel to my tongue than say MacBeth in a theatre or whistle backstage

#4 midnight_ravynhawk

midnight_ravynhawk

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:my kids and husband are definately 1st. music, reading, sports (especially Pittsburgh teams!!!), paranormal studies, cross-stitching, animal lover (especially my 2 dogs) Puddin-a very cute but strange shih-tzu and Yogurt-my loving but way too fat beagle. I am trying to learn about all different kinds of paranormal communication,reiki,ghost hunting,EVP's,taking pictures,etc.

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

Oiche, I'm NOT a performer and I wouldn't say MacBeth 3 times!!! The facial hair one started because the players won't shave once they reach the playoffs. My husband thinks his facial hair will help-I guess,LOL. And trust me, the few I shared with you are just the tip of the iceburg-and I can't talk because I'm the same way as my husband, except the facial hair, of course!!! :whoohoo: oh well.
Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!!!

#5 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

I deliberately go out of my way to violate superstitious beliefs, except for a few pre-fight rituals that I use to help center myself mentally before I take part in western martial arts competitions.

I know that they do not really do anything other than help with my mental prep. I just don't think about that while i do them. :-)

Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#6 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:50 PM

Ravyn, never underestimate the cumulative effect of facial hair on a team's winning spree :whoohoo:

LOL my Love's a dancer and I accidently told her break a leg before a recital-lucky for an actor declaration of war to a dancer-we're engaged so she only punched me in the stomach

Hello, Canis! I think I understand and let's be honest most superstitions are based on random misfortune or luck, but in crunch time your pre-fight meditation is as important as a workout, you don't need the distraction of your subconscious mind getting side tracked

#7 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hello, Canis! I think I understand and let's be honest most superstitions are based on random misfortune or luck, but in crunch time your pre-fight meditation is as important as a workout, you don't need the distraction of your subconscious mind getting side tracked

Yes, you have said it perfectly! :whoohoo:

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users