Das Fetch

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

According to German folklore, the fetch or body double being sighted by its twin was fatal, the twin had to immediately banish his/her doppleganger away lest the twin died on the spot

TBH I've only heard of one doppleganger encounter that made me think of the German origin, a friend told me the story which really is fascinating, 15 years ago her Dad had a nervous breakdown and for the better part of a year, he wandered around the house in his bathrobe, mumbling to himself and checking and re-checking the doors, the curious thing is that my friend, her Mom and her younger sister have seen this fetch of Dad wandering around mumbling and checking the doors, he doesn't respond if they speak to him, doesn't react. Now it sounds like a residual haunt, but the only person who hasn't seen this fetch is her Dad
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

Your fetch would not be a true doppelganger as it is your opposite gender. Not only do indiviuals have a fatch but so do family lines.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hey-ya Freyjasdottir!
Thanks so much for responding! Really? WOW...I didn't realize that the dopp was opposite gender lol I'm not as familiar with German folklore much to my shame, thanks, Miga :D

#4 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

Been studying it more than a bit since you've been gone.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#5 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

I kind of got that from your name change, G...one I'm very fond of

Celtic's been my fascination for more years than I'll admit to having, but Germanic lore is just NEAT

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:43 PM

The Germanic/Scandanavians saw the soul as consisting of 9 parts, one of which is the fetch. However, the fetch is also broken down into parts, the one that is your opposite gender, an animal and a shape. For example mine would be male, a fox and knowing me a square.

For a easy beginngers read you may want to try Northern Magic by Edred Thorsson though some have not so nice thoughts about him. Anything by Swain Wooding is good and he's a great guy from what I know of him.

#7 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

I'll check out both, G thanks, Hon

This is going to sound silly but how do you know its your fetch you've just seen? Is there an instant recognition of the fetch and the original?

#8 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:33 PM

That I could not tell you, I'm not much of a shaman type.

#9 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

But Geeeee, you're supposed to know these things

#10 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

I know many things but since this is an entity that is usually only seen by someone pyshically powerful it would be hard to determine if recoginzed because of what it is or because of who it is that it belongs to. Sort of a catch 22 of the spiritual realm.

#11 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:30 PM

That's an excellent point, G, touche

Suppose that if you saw it but the bloke next to you didn't something was up

#12 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

Very true, but being the practical sort I recommend getting your meds checked first, just in case.

#13 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

ROFL! That's my line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users