King Tut's Tomb

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

This is one of the more famous curses in the world.

A lot of the facts behind many of the deaths that occurred since the discovery of King Tutankhamun's burial site have been explained as rather natural and not supernatural. Still, it is an enduring curse that most Egyptians believe today. All you have to do is watch the latest episode of 'Destination Truth' to see how much the curse is still alive today.

At it's heart, the curse was an attempt by the pharaoh and his family to prevent thieves from removing the valuable objects that were so often included with a king's burial to provide him with the same earthly comforts in the afterlife.

Posted Image

#2 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

Hiya, ST!
Now, I'm of Middle Eastern descent and can pfst at most cries of the unexplained, Hun, but a dead man's curse is always something that gives me pause

However...I can't help but thinking that the fate of the '23 expedition by Lord Herbert had more to do with breathing in mold from embalming agents, weapons, tools and food offerings...blood poisoning too in the case of George Herbert
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#3 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

I don't mean to imply that I think any Egyptians are silly for believing in the curse, but the tomb was opened in the 1920s after being sealed off for over a few thousand years. It stands to reason that our bodies and immune systems have changed/evolved over the years and whatever got out as far as bacteria and whatnot would definitely affect anyone going in. Also, though I can't recall exactly when I saw the documentary explaining away what happened to most of the men on that initial expedition, it seems to me that they were all already sick in some form prior to the opening of the tomb. A lot of the time people tend to overlook pre-existing conditions that would affect the outcome of a death.
Posted Image

#4 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

My bad, Silv.
Its odd that one of the members of the expedition declared the inner sanctum to be free of pathogens when they entered Oo You know, the fact that a series of rooms that had been sealed for 3000 years was just compromised would start a chain reaction as the decay was excellerated
The expedition's backer had been bitten by a mosquito several months before was suffering from blood poisoning and was already dieing before they entered the Valley of the Kings

#5 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

~I enjoyed watching that episode too, but have to wonder if maybe they were letting their brain over-power the said curse. I truly believe there is such a curse...but in the same breath I believe that if you truly believe in something, then it will happen because you'll let it happen. The mind is a very powerful thing. But I'm not undermining the curse, I do believe there is one.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#6 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I sure wish mine were powerful, Laurie Ann!! It can barely power me through the day. :)
Posted Image

#7 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

I sure wish mine were powerful, Laurie Ann!! It can barely power me through the day. :)

:lol: I hear ya! Me too lmao
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#8 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Okay, getting things back on topic :) Did anyone see the latest episode of Destination Truth where they spent the night in King Tut's tomb? I haven't sat down to watch it on Hulu, yet, so I don't know if anything extraordinary happened.
Posted Image

#9 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:28 AM

~I watched this episode on On-Demand and actually, everything they have on tape can be explained. One guy buckled over in pain, stating he had the worst stomach pain he'd ever felt, but he *did* just get done eating foreign food that included a bull...ok, just can't say it without getting feeling queezy.
As they were checking out the other surrounding tombs, they caught a shadow image. But again, there could've been someone inside the tomb making their rounds...wasn't good enough to classify as paranormal.
They caught some odd sounds within Tuts tomb, but again, if someone had the key to the tomb, who's to say they didn't allow someone in prior to the investigation for seeking-tourist sake.
All in all, the episode was educating as far as hyroglyphics (sp?) go, and the education behind tut and his curse. I enjoyed watching the show, but everything that happened can all be easily explained. Just didn't have that "wow" moment...like the guy that got tossed out of the circle in the forest ;) .

#10 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hieroglyphics. ;)

Ya know, now that I think about it, I do remember watching some of it last week (while at work) because I remember laughing so loudly at the camel scene that I decided to quit watching, lest I get in trouble. ;) And I do recall seeing them eat the nasty foods. That would make sense for the stomach pains, though.

Posted Image

#11 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hmm...was the curse meant for future generations do you think?

In the old kingdom, desecration of a body or looting a tomb carried terrible punishment, the thief/desecrator was impaled now aside from the slow and painful death, it also destroyed the person's chance at an afterlife since the internal organs were ruined

Oddly though, the tomb had only shown evidence of two break-ins before the expedition, but no one had ever entered the inner temple

#12 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

~Not to get too far off of topic, but is under the same show (Extreme Paranormal)...have you seen the one where they are in the Florida Everglades & all the dolls??? One of the dolls opens their eye's right there when the guy is looking to see if there is any heat coming from her/it. Freaked me the hell out when I saw it....just couldn't help it.

#13 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

It was Destination Truth, silly :P, and yes I saw the freaky doll trip, too. Most of what they experienced can be explained away, in my opinion.
Posted Image

#14 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

It was Destination Truth, silly :P , and yes I saw the freaky doll trip, too. Most of what they experienced can be explained away, in my opinion.

~OMG! What in the world was I thinking??? Anyhoo...thank goodness you knew what freaky episode I was talking about. I agree though, so much of what they were going "oooh & ahhh" over could very well be explained. But you have to admit, when that doll opened it's one eye to that guy, well I admit I jumped slightly.........just slightly though. lol

#15 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

It was Destination Truth, silly :clap: , and yes I saw the freaky doll trip, too. Most of what they experienced can be explained away, in my opinion.

~OMG! What in the world was I thinking??? Anyhoo...thank goodness you knew what freaky episode I was talking about. I agree though, so much of what they were going "oooh & ahhh" over could very well be explained. But you have to admit, when that doll opened it's one eye to that guy, well I admit I jumped slightly.........just slightly though. lol

That was the Island of the Dolls down in Mexico.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users