Curse of the lottery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

Do you believe that there is a curse to anyone who wins a substantial amount of cash in the lottery, or is it just a poor judgment by the winners?

Share your thoughts!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#2 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:02 PM

I know a family where the husband and wife each bought a winning lottery ticket, a hair over a million each, they and their now adult children and grandchildren are doing fine. I also know a man who won a considerable bit more, fourteen years later his wife has left him, his mom and sister have both died and most of his surviving family will not speak to him.

In the first case it was good people just living their life as they always did though he did retire from plumbing earlier than planned. The second case was because he was a jerk before the money and he's still a jerk. At his sister's funeral he wasn't even with the family, his ex was gracious enough to sit with their grandmother.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:15 PM

I don't feel the winning itself is a curse, however I do know of two winners and both have had problems in their lives after winning the prize. However in both cases I can see where they have made poor judgements which led to the trouble. There were signs of potential probelems even before they won, the money just allowed them to go to extremes. But I don't think it was a curse of any kind.

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:17 PM

~Honestly, I think it's all in the person/people that win the lottery. I don't think it's so much of a curse. I think that if you use your head and spend wisely, then all is well. But if your a selfish miser before the money, well you'll still be the same jerk as before.

There's this show on tv about Lottery winners and their misfortune after winning. But it's all in how you spend the money. It can be a blessing.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

I agree with Laurie Ann. Well said!!
Posted Image

#6 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

~Honestly, I think it's all in the person/people that win the lottery. I don't think it's so much of a curse. I think that if you use your head and spend wisely, then all is well. But if your a selfish miser before the money, well you'll still be the same jerk as before.

There's this show on tv about Lottery winners and their misfortune after winning. But it's all in how you spend the money. It can be a blessing.

I also know someone who won a large amount of money (around $20k) and after winning something turned around. He and his wife are the nicest and most giving people you'd ever meet. They already had a substantial amount of money in their savings that came from hard work and saving. When they won the lottery money things just took a dive. She became ill and the house they built for themselves 20 years ago had to be treated for mold. Her illness (not because of the mold) and the mold problem ate up the $20k in lottery money. Once the mold problem was cleaned and they were back down to their original money in the savings her health improved almost as if it were a sign.

Edited by Axman, 30 September 2009 - 06:14 PM.
errors

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#7 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:34 PM

~Oh my gosh Axman, how heartbreaking. I do hope she's doing alot better now. :hug:

...there are those out there that would let the $$$ get to their heads. Then there are the few out there that would remember those who helped them when they didn't have a pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#8 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

I would tend to lean towards coincidence in this case but by gosh it makes a person wonder.

As a Christian I feel that sometimes God puts us to the test.

Edited by Axman, 03 October 2009 - 11:31 AM.
Add a line

#9 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

I think it's a more a matter of falling into more money than the person knows what to do with so they go crazy and end up bankrupt... Not a curse, just a matter of totally changing up their lifestyle and getting carried away.
Come to speak of it I won $50 on $5 scratch off last month (went to micheals and bought pendants for my beading) and now I'm in the hole $5 for stealing my sisters juice boxes (eh. It's not like she was drinking them).... I just need to get some jewelry sold.
Lex
Love life.

#10 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

I think it's a more a matter of falling into more money than the person knows what to do with so they go crazy and end up bankrupt... Not a curse, just a matter of totally changing up their lifestyle and getting carried away.

In a way that is a curse of sorts. Not the typical curse but an individual curse where one might not have a grasp of the aspects of a huge windfall.

#11 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

I got a plan. we'll all throw together and buy me some lottery tickets until I win, then we can see if I change, what do you all say? =P

I think it's just a matter of poor people getting more money than 4 generations combined would have ever seen, and then going crazy. I think if I won the lottery I'd be fine. I'm not prepared to go nuts with that amount of cash. You just need to learn to control yourself.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#12 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

I also know someone who won a large amount of money (around $20k) and after winning something turned around. He and his wife are the nicest and most giving people you'd ever meet. They already had a substantial amount of money in their savings that came from hard work and saving. When they won the lottery money things just took a dive. She became ill and the house they built for themselves 20 years ago had to be treated for mold. Her illness (not because of the mold) and the mold problem ate up the $20k in lottery money. Once the mold problem was cleaned and they were back down to their original money in the savings her health improved almost as if it were a sign.

I wouldn't call that a curse on winning lottery money---I'd call that getting just what they needed just in time to pay for an emergency without losing their hard-earned savings! Maybe not so much fun as getting something extra, but not a curse exactly.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#13 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

I wouldn't call that a curse on winning lottery money---I'd call that getting just what they needed just in time to pay for an emergency without losing their hard-earned savings! Maybe not so much fun as getting something extra, but not a curse exactly.

I wouldn't have thought of it that way but it seemed strange that everything happened right after the windfall. Maybe it was a way for them to take care of an upcoming problem. We may never know. :weeee:

Edited by Axman, 28 October 2009 - 05:42 PM.

#14 Marilyn Jackson

Marilyn Jackson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:41 AM

I think those people had problems before they won the money. People who never had money sometimes run through it as if there is no tomorrow. Sadly the people around them donít usually help the situation either. If you understand that money comes and goes then I think it wonít affect you.

Iíd pay off all my bills {If itís a large sum}, get a financial adviser, and buy a nice house. I wouldnít be a people pleaser like some of these people buying peoples love. If you didnít talk to me before donít do it when Iím rich.

#15 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:57 PM

I think those people had problems before they won the money. People who never had money sometimes run through it as if there is no tomorrow. Sadly the people around them donít usually help the situation either. If you understand that money comes and goes then I think it wonít affect you.

Iíd pay off all my bills {If itís a large sum}, get a financial adviser, and buy a nice house. I wouldnít be a people pleaser like some of these people buying peoples love. If you didnít talk to me before donít do it when Iím rich.

In the case of my acquaintances they had no problems before the winnings. They in fact had more in their savings than the total winnings. After the lottery money was gone and they were down to the original amount in the savings, thing were back to normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users