RCA DVR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:36 AM

I hesitate to ask this question because I know whatever I am looking at purchasing is not going to be considered good enough by those who investigate on a regular basis, but I'm buying based on what I can afford. I know I can't afford the cream of the crop like most people on here, but I'd like to know if the RCA digital voice recorder I'm considering is even worth the time to buy it. If not, then I'll do without rather than spending more. I cannot justify spending additional money when I don't investigate on a regular basis. I'm buying it for an upcoming weekend getaway to an allegedly haunted bed & breakfast. It will be the first time I will be actively searching for proof of anything. If the RCA DVR will work for now, perhaps later down the road I will invest in something a bit better.

Edited by Silvertongue, 30 September 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Posted Image

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

It depends on what you want it for. If your goal is to take notations on the investigation, record comments by other investigators, or do witness interviews then it is fine. Digital voice recorders are fine for the use they were designed; recording human speech.

If you intend to try for EVPs, save your money. There is no point in spending money for something which is not sufficient to do the job you want. Better to hold off until you can afford to get what is needed.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#3 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Now I know why I'll never be an investigator of any level. It's only for the elite.
Posted Image

#4 Kelli Chases Ghosts

Kelli Chases Ghosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:51 AM

Now I know why I'll never be an investigator of any level. It's only for the elite.

Only for the elite? I don't understand that response. All Caverat is pointing out is to at least use something better than voice quality because it's not a tool that's going to do the job. It's like trying to load Windows Vista on a 386. It has nothing to do with anyone being part of the elite, it's just reality. You can pretend it's going to work, but in the end you're just deceiving yourself. If all you want to do is have fun and play with a toy, convincing yourself that what you're recording is really paranormal, by all means do so. Plenty of people do. But if you want to take this field seriously then you're going to have to be willing to give what it takes, and that means spending at least a few hundred dollars on some quality gear.

FWIW, there are recorders available on eBay for less than $200 that will do the job rather nicely. You're going to spend at least $50 on the RCA voice recorder, why not save up $150 more and do it right? Heck, if you really want to do it, right, spend $20 on an analog tape recorder. Even that's WORLDS better than the cheapo digital voice recorders. So you have to spend more time analyzing the recording... So what? I guess I have to ask you and everyone else toying with the paranormal -- do you really want to put in what it takes to make real strides in this field or do you just want to play ghosthunter? It doesn't take a lot of money to take this field seriously, but it certainly does require time and patience.
Speak to me in Gaelic and I will love you. Tell me you know what Inverse Square Law is and I will love you forever.~K

#5 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

Elite = those who have the money to toss around on a hobby. Maybe I'm interested in the wrong field if I can't spend a few hundred dollars on something I'm not going to use all the time. I don't have any friends who like the paranormal; they all just humour me about it. I can't afford to travel anywhere to do these investigations. So I guess I'm not one who is going to make strides in the field and just play at ghost hunting, as you call it. And I didn't spend $50 for the RCA recorder. I'll just keep things to myself, thanks.
Posted Image

#6 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

Silvertongue,

You were given a few alternatives to things being pricey, don't forgot things like E-Bay, Craigslist, freecycle and their ilk to get equipment. Not everyone, if anyone, on the board can just toss money around. I'm a single parent so budgeting is always on my mind.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

I would point out another option for those not wanting to invest many dollars in everything, why not specialize? Many of us researchers do that. Rather than buying expensive cameras, recorders, EMF monitors, FLIR, and all of that stuff, why not just concentrate in one area? Obviuosly you could buy the best video, the best audio, a FLIR system, and much support equipment and spend literally thousands$$$.

But suppose rather than everything you just spent a couple hundred $$ and got a decent stereo audio recorder? Forget the camera, and all the other stuff, just concentrate in one area of study. Let someone else concentrate on video and the other stuff. Team up with them and pool your resources. That way you get the best of both.

That is exactly what our association does. Yes, I have a rather elaborate EVP system. But when it comes to video, I leave that to other associates. Same with other aspects of investigation, each of us has specialized in one main area. And while no one of us has evrything, when you put us together as a team we have the combined resources to cover most large scale investigations. For instance I don't have a FLIR system. But one of the associates does, and if I need one I can have him there with a phone call. And if he needs EVP work, I get a call. ( He doesn't even do audio recording.)

No it's not an elitist hobby, but like everything you do have to put a little into it. But that's true of everything, Even if you take up a sport you need to buy the equipment to participate.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#8 afterlife

afterlife

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal Investigations, playing guitar, music, &amp; the most Important FAMILY!

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

You can try getting together with a local Paranormal team or group and see what they might need. Maybe you can provide something to the team that wont cost you a lot of $$$ like IR lights, batteries, gas money what ever the case may be. If you are truly interested in this field don't give up, because quitters get no where! Also if you are willing to give up on something you really want to do because of frustration you might want to consider another Hobie because like Kelli said, this field takes a lot of patience & time.

#9 bbabin5

bbabin5

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

U can get EVP's on the RCA DVR model available at walmart for 40 dollars. It has the usb attachment for a pc. Once u get the recording i recommend a voice program on your computer. rca or audacity there free.
Brett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users