• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Tourists used to take lots of lava rock home from Hawaii as souvenirs, so the Park Service started an urban legend about the rocks being cursed. The legend goes that Madam Pele (the fire goddess ) gets angry at whoever removes her sacred stones and curses them.

This urban legend is now so ingrained in the collective conscience that tourists are experiencing real bad luck. Hundreds have sent back the lava rock and asked that the kahuna (priests / witch doctors) do a ceremony to appease Pele.

These are actual quotes from victims:

Please take this rock and put it back somewhere on your island. I have had very bad luck since it came into my life and I am very sorry I took it. Please forgive me and I pray that once I send it back where it comes from, my bad luck will go away.

Ever since we have taken items, we have had nothing but back luck and medical problems. We apologize for taking the items, so we are returning same to Hawaii.

We placed the rock last fall on a cast iron chair in our garden; this spring the chairís leg had fallen off. Thatís the least of the problems we have had since weíve taken the rock.

Please return these rocks to their rightful spot. I never had so much bad luck as Iíve had since I returned from Hawaii.

I picked up a small piece of lava somewhere, (we are rock and crystal collectors), never dreaming of what might come. Since then we have lost half of our retirement savings to a scam artist and will have to go back to work. Please work your magic on the enclosed piece of lava and hopefully nothing worse will happen.

There are thousands more like those. The Volcano Post Office, Volcano National Park and lots of hotels find the returned rocks a nuisance (although they faithfully dispose of them by tossing them onto a big pile right behind the Volcano Visitor Center.)

The Volcano Gallery on the Big Island gladly accepts returned rocks. Once they receive the rocks they carefully wrap them in ti leaves and return them to a special location in Volcano close to Peleís home, along with an offering of orchids to ask for her forgiveness. For the service, the gallery asks for a donation of $15, but will perform the service in any case.

You can return any lava rocks you may have taken to:

Rainbow Moon
Attn: Lava Rock Return
P.O. Box 699
Volcano, HI 96785

Snopes
Volcano Gallery

Edited by aloha_spirit, 12 October 2009 - 09:41 PM.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#2 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

Wasn't there a Brady Bunch episode based on this?
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

#3 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

Wasn't there a Brady Bunch episode based on this?

Very close! they had two or three eppisodes as I recal where the family went on vacation in Hawaii.

The boys got ahold of a "cursed" tiki idol that seemd to be causing them bad luck. Mr. Brady stepped in and gave them a much needed lesson in critical thinking. (who, me biased? :) )

The best part was the guest star.... the one & only Mr. Vincent Price.

Much as I hate the thought of people striping Hawaii of its lava rock, the people that wrote those letters could use a stearn talking to from MIke Brady! :)

Regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#4 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

This reminds me of Bodie, CA. People stared taking things from the ghost town, usually small things as trinkets. They started sending them back when they started experiencing hard luck. I'll have to start another thread on Bodie...
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#5 Pfled

Pfled

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:1. Making my son smile<br />2. Investigating and researching places of alleged paranormal activity<br />3. Hiking<br />4. Cooking

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

Sorry to get off topic but I did not know that about Bodie. I'll need to check out that thread.
"So even if you can't see it, you can still believe in it.It's easier if you lose all the things that prevent you from seeing it."-The Resistance by the Sam Roberts Band

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users