Bodie, California ghost town

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

This ghost town is operated as a state park today.

http://www.legendsof.../CA-Bodie2.html

An excerpt taken from the above site.

"Legends about Bodie abound, including the Bodie Curse. Supposedly, if visitors take anything from this old ghost town – even a pebble, they will be cursed with bad luck. Misfortune and tragedy are heaped upon the victim until the stolen item is returned. According to Park Rangers, many who have taken things eventually return them to the park to rid themselves of this curse. Purportedly, the park maintains a log book of pages and pages of returned items. In the museum, you can see the letters from people who have returned items to the park. The curse is supposedly perpetuated by the ghosts of Bodie who guard against thieves and protect its treasures. Some believe that the “curse” is nothing more than a superstition perpetuated by the Park Rangers to preserve Bodie as a historic site. However, I for one wouldn’t take the chance of being haunted by the long lost souls of Bodie."
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:38 PM

I visited Bodie back in July of this year. Got some nice pictures that I still have to get online. I really hope it stays open. It was on the closure list.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

http://www.bodie.com/
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

additional note: never heard of a curse attached to Bodie, before now. I did post my vacation photos, if anyone is interested.

http://s11.photobuck...c...die Jul 09/

#4 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

I've never heard of Bodie...fascinating Axe!

Cryscat, those pictures are lovely and haunting*pardon the well placed pun* :)
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#5 Silvertongue

Silvertongue

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:reading<br />ghosts<br />history<br />writing<br />movies<br />theatre<br />

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

There's a whole website dedicated to all Ghost Towns all over the US and Canada called ghosttowns.com. They have photographs of Bodie there as well. If it is just a story perpetuated by the park rangers, it's the perfect means to deter theft.
Posted Image

#6 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

Love the pun, willow! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users