• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:44 AM

the thing that makes me curious about this mostly is not that fact that iv died many times in my dream and have even been a ghost at my funeral afterwards, proving to me that dream death isnt automatically real life death. what makes me the most curious is how this idea started, i mean someone goes to sleep and dies. while its said i dont get where the idea started that death in their dream killed them since well, they didnt exactly wake up to confirm or deny this.

#17 Marilyn Jackson

Marilyn Jackson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:27 AM

Sometimes I think life is one long nightmare with occasional laughs thrown in.

#18 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:07 AM

As this thread grows, I've continued to do research into where people began to believe if you died in dreams, you'd die in real life - all I've found so far is the interpretation of death and dying in dreams. A time of growth and change and so forth. Even falling and 'landing' in a dream doesn't foretell or cause death.

Has anyone found out anything about why people relate death in dreams with deal in real life?

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#19 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:38 AM

i dont agree with dream meanings/interpretations entirely, but atleast the people can be spoken to. so i can see HOW the certain things through lots of life experience and personal accounts could be interpretted to have any kind of meaning. are the meanings legit? i dont know, some make sense but then i feel like that with horoscopes, i often to relate to what it says about my sign, aquarius, but just as often i relate with the other signs as much if not more, its vaguely worded and more or less describes atleast some point of just about every living persons life

but anyway, if anyone findsout where the idea that death in dreams= death in real life please let me know cause the more i think of it, its just making less sense, the only people who have ever told stories of dying in their dreams are 100% undoubtedly living to tell it, and if anyone died in their dream and it resulted in their actual death how the heck did we find this out?

#20 Marilyn Jackson

Marilyn Jackson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

I just had a thought. If you die in your dream/sleep how do you know you’re dead in real life?

#21 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:36 PM

I clearly remember two dreams in-which I died.

In the first:
A series of events led me to a school bus that had the windows painted over a dark green.
I entered the bus, on the last step I grabbed the vertical rail with my left hand, as I began to turn toward the back of the bus I hear the sound of a revolver being cocked. Then I see a bright yellowish flash and hear the loud sound of the gun being fired.
I immediately woke from that dream my body very stiff, arms pinned to my sides fingers splayed out and legs straight with my toes pointed straight up. I was unable to move or blink my eyes for several seconds, as I stared up at the ceiling.

The second:
I was driving down a fairly busy street, pedestrians on the sidewalk, cars parked on both sides of the road.
From my left I see someone randomly shooting a rifle at people, I step on the gas in an attempt to get out of range.
I am shot in the head.
My truck is slamming into a parked car. I want to be able to move, but I know I'm dead, and I am relay P***** OFF.
I want nothing more than to kill him, and take my vengeance.

M

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#22 timestopped

timestopped

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Equestrian, walking, hiking, biking, fishing, the beach, telling stories, camping

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

I have died a few times in dreams. I was shot once, and attacked by a zombie once.. that was frightening..

I don't think that I actually died, but when I was a teenager, I used to wake up paralized. There is not many things scarier than that. I guess its called sleep paralysis. It never happens anymore, but I don't know what caused it back then. I used to have paralysis dreams too, so who knows.
Looking at the world through eyes frozen like pools of ice.

#23 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

If I remember correctly, everyone dreams every night. If that is the case, would make for alot of dead folks I'd think. A dream about dying is a pretty common thing.

#24 juliet_keller

juliet_keller

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • Interests:Nursing, Softball, Kids, and My Man

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

It seems that there are some people who die in there dreams and still live to tell the dream here, but with the coincidence of this topic being posted and my dream about two weeks ago, I think that it could be possible to die in one's sleep from one's death in a dream.

About two weeks ago I had a dream that I was drowning. (I also have a natural fear of lakes and oceans in real life, not sure if this played into my dream or why I was dreaming about drowning and I have always been a very good swimmer, but in chlorinated pools only ) But I woke up gasping for air while trying desperately to catch my breath. It was a very unique experience to me because my dream was so vivid that I remembered every detail upon waking while trying to catch my breath. I actually had thought I was trying to get out of the water and not in my bed. It was not until I inhaled 3 times very deeply that it was a dream and I was safe in bed.

That also raises issues too in pertaining to people with sleep apnea about how they struggle for their breath when sleeping. Could it just be their subconscious minds trying to justify why they need air when in full REM sleep that such a death defying dream could be conjured up? I do not have sleep apnea, but my mother does and often she recalls these types of dreams.

One other topic just a little off this topic, but still qualifies under the dream state category. My mom has severe rheumatoid and osteoarthritis so when she sleeps she does not move much in her sleep, but she will often dream of running, jumping, skipping and being chased by some unseen entity. Every dream that she has like this she wakes in an arthritic flair up and is in severe pain as if she had actually had exercised her legs to her dreams extent. I'm not sure how or why her dreaming (or her subconscious) would be able to have such an effect on her limbs while sleeping when they are at rest (any thoughts would be great and appreciated), but from her experiences it seems that her mind does over take her body while sleeping. So, I do believe it could be very possible for the same to happen if someone were to die in their dream that they could also pass from this state of mind (asleep.) ~Julie
You know our love was meant to be, the kind of love that lasts foreverAnd I want you here with, from tonight until the end of time,You're the meaning in my life, You're the inspiration,You bring feeling to my life, You're the inspiration,No one needs you more than I need you...You're the Inspiration~ChicagoI Love You, Baby!Julie and Dave are "The Spirit Stalkers of Ohio"www.thespiritstalkersofohio.webs.comCome see what we are all about, our galleries of evidence, and we would love for you to sign our guest book!

#25 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:14 AM

you make interesting points that i never really thought about.also i have had tons of dreams where i do things within them and am afflicted physically when i wakeup,on occasion i have been sore for days after something that happened in a dream.and i would never question that this COULD happen.it could possibly happen,but the general myth is that if you die in your sleep you die in real life.not:it is possible to die in your dream and have it result in actual death.thats the part that i doubt highly or actually,i dont mind saying in this case,know for a fact to be false.

your points are valid to the point though so i give you thumbs up :]

#26 beulahkilborn781

beulahkilborn781

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:15 AM

Hello Guys
This is good comments for me because many times i thing that Dreams are really right?
I think this all are not true and..i am not agree with that if you die in your dream,you die in really..
This all are superstition...

#27 Jacob_JABP

Jacob_JABP

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

I don't personally belive that... It's too unbelievable
...JSB...

#28 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that &quot;prove&quot; a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

I think that the Idea of truly dying as a result of dying in a dream came from the belief that if your mind thinks that your body is dead it will stop sending critical function signals in order to try to retain as much oxygen in itself as possible to its ability to remain functional, sort of like a last ditch effort, hail Mary pass from the brain to try and hold out for a few critical seconds in case some how it can find a way to get a supply of oxygen in those few seconds.

#29 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that &quot;prove&quot; a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

As far as dreams affecting Arthritis I am not sure if that would be something brought on by the mental state (i.e. it was so vivid a dream that it caused ghost pains which only got worse when you convinced yourself that the dreams were causing said pain) or what. But at the same time that really depends on what part of your Mom's body is afflicted with Arthritis, if it is only her joints then that is a mystery, however if it is her connective tissue that is affected by the Rheumatoid arthritis then that can be explained by the same theory of the brain shutting down primary functions in the event of a dream death in order to try to preserve itself. If the brain is convinced that it is running then it will send signals to your muscles to constrict and relax (maybe not enough to make any noticeable movement but enough to excrete lactic acids and agitate connective tissues, possibly to the point of a Rheumatic flair up.

On a Similar note, along the lines of the Gasping for breath when dreaming of drowning, it is a lot like a panic attack, your brain is convinced it cannot get the oxygen it needs causing you to take rapid, mostly ineffective breaths...basically causing yourself to hyperventilate, which can seem like a lack of oxygen in the blood but in fact is an increase in pH levels of the blood due to lower than normal CO2 lvls...again this all just speculation and theory though, I have no solid proof that that is what happens.

#30 leonie

leonie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Interests:&quot;We keep on going because of hope. The hope that one day for one moment we'll feel the total unwavering bliss of a second of happiness.&quot;

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

I heard that if you are stabbed in your stomach with a sword that you die in real life. Oh and I heard that when you wake up suddenly feeling that youve fallen, thats like some kind of automatic thing from when we were apes and lived in trees!

"Your just a beautiful freak, I wish there were more like you." - EelsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users