26 replies to this topic

#16 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,364 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Blood and Gore which are mostly overdone, overbudget, brainless, for the moment scares, just dont cut it. Suspense and mind games are king. The individuals mind can paint a custom tailored image that brings forth more fear than any mass-market broad audience visual affects can

I dig the Mind Games and suspense. hands down.

Session 9
Event Horizon (Which does have a good bit of gore, but alot of suspense and mind screwing)
Sixth Sense
Mothman
That Kevin Bacon movie ( I cant believe I forgot the name of it)
The Changling (The George C Scott ghost movie)

Stir of Echos
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#17 Mercury

Mercury

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Well, I have many intrests. The Supernatural is obvious.<br /><br />Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do alot of art, and not to toot my own horn, I'm darn good at it. Its something I'm proud of.<br /><br />Antiques are another passion of mine. Be it furniture, or World War 1 era weapons and collectibles. Which leads to the last intrest I'll post.<br /><br />History. I Love history. Though I do take the most intrest in events after the American Revolution.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

I dig the Mind Games and suspense. hands down.

Session 9
Event Horizon (Which does have a good bit of gore, but alot of suspense and mind screwing)
Sixth Sense
Mothman
That Kevin Bacon movie ( I cant believe I forgot the name of it)
The Changling (The George C Scott ghost movie)

Stir of Echos

Ah Yes..Thank You.

#18 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

I'm with you Merc, I prefer a good psychological thriller more than any gore/slasher film. Especially the one's that are freakishly clever.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#19 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

To be honest, I think I've only ever made it through one or two horror films, and even those weren't too intense. I can't stand it when hollywood over does the blood, I can watch zombies and all thats stuff, but I gag at the sight of blood.
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you donít believe itís true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#20 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

Mind games do it for me. I hate the blood n gore stuff...except Chucky :)

#21 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

Anybody who like a good psychological thriller should check out a film called "Jacob's Ladder". It was made in 1990. Really good.

Jacob Singer (Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam vet who seems to be profoundly affected by his nightmarish war experiences. Is it because of some Army experiments? Is Jacob going insane? Or is something else going on? There seem to be demons everywhere, and Jacob doesn't know who to trust. This remarkable film takes us into Jacob's nightmare and we, like him, are kept wondering what is real and what isn't
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#22 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

I also prefer those movies that make you use your imagination. There is no special effect as frightening as what you can come up with yourself inside your head. The Changeling was just on tv the other day. I'd forgotten what a great movie this is, with minimal effects. This is a great example of a story driven movie - fully developed plot that a great actor like Scott could really sink his teeth into.

I still love those old movies like the original Dracula and Frankenstein. Is there really any better movie than the original Wolfman - remember when Lon Chaney Jr.'s character comes to realize what he has become?
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#23 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:29 AM

Mind games
I just watched "The Strangers" yesterday and it has creeped me out with a capital C.... When Liv Tyler asks why them and (I think it was the china doll mask) says becuase you were home I was just like okay... Unless it's Halloween no answering doors after 8.

Or "Scream"... Mom was watching that on her treadmill when it first came out and there was fresh snow on the ground and she went out to take a hottub and she saw foot print in the snow and got really creeped out... Then she realized my window had been repaired that day (majorly cracked from bad hail storm).

I like movies that have a plot and have to be figured out (although I typically figure them out pretty quick... Like Fight Club... I knew early in the movie that the guy had Disassociative Identity Disorder, the PC name for multiple personalities disorder.

I'm also a fan of Final Destination (can do without the sequels... Liz lovesthe one where you chose how the movie goes), and se7en is good (I think saw was just a rip off of that).... I don't mind gore as long as there is a plot to go with it.
Love life.

#24 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

Blood and gore makes me feel stupid. Mind games and suspense always rocks!
Posted Image

#25 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

I'm from the old school. I grew up in the 80's and quickly fell in love with the 80's era slasher movies. I found the FX very interesting.
I think that alot of movies these days are just an update on the old slasher formula. Blood and gore, but with a bit more story. In the Silence of the Lambs, Buffalo Bill wears the skin of dead women, and Hannibal Lecter is a cannibal. Sounds an awful lot like the original Chainsaw Massacre to me.
In the early 90's Hollywood took alot of cues from the earlier slasher movies. They took the basic idea of the killer running around killing people, and transformed it into some of the biggest hits of the time. Think Fatal Attraction and the rabbit in the pot. Single White Female and the high-heel through the eye scene.
Hollywood just took the basic slasher formula, added to it, and tried to make it more respectable.
Unfortunately these days, horror movies have become way to watered down to cater to the young crowd.
I can't see why they would remake Prom Nght and make it pg-13 other than to sell tickets to kids.
Maybe its because I enjoyed thses movies so much, but it bumbs me out when Hollywood seems to dislike the horror genre, but in a time when alot of people dont go to the movies, they will turn out remake after remake of classic films. They may not like the genre, but they dont mind the money.
All that being said, I dont mind a good psychologial horror film. The Blair Witch Project comes to mind. Basically bloodless, but spooky as heck.

#26 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

I hate blood and gore slasher movies!

#27 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Anybody who like a good psychological thriller should check out a film called "Jacob's Ladder". It was made in 1990. Really good.

Jacob Singer (Tim Robbins) is a Vietnam vet who seems to be profoundly affected by his nightmarish war experiences. Is it because of some Army experiments? Is Jacob going insane? Or is something else going on? There seem to be demons everywhere, and Jacob doesn't know who to trust. This remarkable film takes us into Jacob's nightmare and we, like him, are kept wondering what is real and what isn't

I watched that recently and was soooo confused.... I get what happened to him in the end but don't understand the rest of the movie... Someone please help!
Love life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users