16 replies to this topic

#1 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm assuming most of you are old enough to professionally ghost hunt, or at least old enough to have a job. Im 13 years old and I'm extremely interested in the paranormal.

No, I'm not one of those silly teenagers obsessed with ghost TV shows, I watch them, but thats not exactly the purpose of this post.

I have a goal to become a paranormal investigator one day, the only problem is nobody takes me seriously. I am educated well in this field and I only dream of being able to ghost hunt some day.

I'm saving up to buy equipment, but in the mean time I need to know where to use it and how to get myself started. I know of a few so-called haunted locations in my town, and I am looking forward to possibly investigating there. But is it as easy as calling up the owners and asking permission?

I need suggestions on how to get prepared for my first investigation, what good equipment to use, where to go, how exactly I should investigate, and so on.

If anyone would be so kind and help me out I would deeply appreciate it :)

Thanks!

M
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you donít believe itís true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

Good news is you have several years to save up and get ready to buy your equipment

Bad news is your age, and I don't mean that in a negative way. You may be very dedicated and do everything right. The problem is liability. No private location is going to allow a minor onto their property to do an investigation. Their insurance company would drop them in a heartbeat if they knew that happened. You as a minor cannot enter into a legally binding contract until you turn 18. Thus the reason for the limitations.

What you might do is connect with a local group that allows "junior" investigators to accompany their team. That will get you into some public locations since the legal aspects will be handled by the group, and you, with a parental relaease , may be allowed to go with them. That would be up to the group's policies.

That's about the only thing I can offer right now. You may have a desire to just go without permission, however that is tresspassing and can land you with a stiff fine or even a little jail time. You definitely don't want that!

#3 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

Ok thanks. And safety wise where do I fall there? I've heard many people talk about how its dangerous for a child of certain age and younger to be exposed to the paranormal because of sensitivy, would that include me?
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you donít believe itís true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#4 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

Ok thanks. And safety wise where do I fall there? I've heard many people talk about how its dangerous for a child of certain age and younger to be exposed to the paranormal because of sensitivy, would that include me?

*sensitivity

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

That is something you have to answer for yourself. I personally don't see an issue there as long as you are well grounded in your belioef system and aren't easily swayed if things get a little strange. That is where some book learning comes in before going out. If you have a good idea what to expect then you won't have any trouble reggarding sensitivity.

The biggest danger is what all investigators face; environmental, especially if you investigate in the dark. Easy to trip, fall, or otherwise get hurt if you're not careful. Which is also why the idea of investigating in daylight sometimes makes more sense anyway. (3/4 of my investigations ARE done in daylight. ) After all, where do you suppose the ghosts go in daytime? They don't leave, so why do so many insist on tramping around at night in unfamiliar areas? But I digress....

#6 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:14 PM

The only problem, my opinion, with investigating in broad daylight is that if your in a building or home with many windows, it would be hard to be sure if your evidence is legit. How are you supposed to know when a shadow is something real if your own shadows are bouncing off the walls? In addition, during the day more people are out and about so you could easily mistake something paranormal for the real thing, like a voice.

And not speaking in general, but the local "haunted" locations in my area are generally safe, mostly theaters and old houses, so I doubt there's much of a danger hazard there. But of course it just those specific location, not an old insane asylum or prison for instance.

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

Actually the very things you mention are reasons to work in daylight. For example a shadow originating from a window is very obvious under normal lighting. It is easily seen and discounted. but at night with areas dark sources of potential problems are overlooked. Thus many times what one may think is a spirit or something else is in reality just something obvious you missed.

Then you throw in the fear factor. Often imaginations are heightened at night. People can exagerate what they see or imagine more than what is really there.

True often there is a greater chance of someone interfering with your investigation durring the day. But is also easier to keep track of what is going on and where everyone is.

I'm not saying never investigate at night. Sometimes due to circumstances you have no choice, or sometimes a client specifies that whatever happens occurs at night. Obviously then you do a night investigation. But whenever possible I prefer to do daytime work to improve reliability of the observations.

#8 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Well in that case, are there any up sides to investigating in the dark?

#9 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

Well in that case, are there any up sides to investigating in the dark?

As I said there are negatives to investigating in the dark when doing general investigations. However certain specialized investigations would be done in the dark. For instance if you are studying something connected with IR light you may get better results. FLIR investigations are better several hours after sundown to ensure any residual radiant heat sources have dissipated. And like I said previously, if a particular case has factors that occur only at night, then obviously you must investigate at night. And if external conditions prohibit daytime work then obviously you have to go at night. But even night does not neccessarily mean dark. You can use lights to aid in conducting research as well.

I personally see investigating in the dark in many cases as placing an obsticle in your way toward finding out what is going on. With certain exceptions I avoid it unless a compelling reason such as those I stated indicates it should be done.

#10 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:33 PM

Ok, good to know.

Well since I've got a long time before I can actually ghost hunt, are there any pointers you can give me in the mean time?

#11 PJay

PJay

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, art, reading, collecting gargoyles.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

Use this time to do research on the history of the known haunted buildings in your area. If there are paranormal groups in your area, ask if you can come to some of their organizing and planning meetings, or sit in on a training meeting (classroom type, not investigating type). Research on the internet sites that have good articles by experienced investigators. Compare one site's theories with other sites theories. That's cross-referencing, and if one group's theories are weird, off the wall strange, be cautious. Visit a lot of forums that seem to be populated by mature, experienced, serious investigators. You can investigate with very little. A camera and a voice recorder to start with. So investigate at relatives homes. Explain the theories to them, in a logical manner, and maybe you'll find some of your relatives are interested too. And that may be the start of your team.

#12 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

Use this time to do research on the history of the known haunted buildings in your area. If there are paranormal groups in your area, ask if you can come to some of their organizing and planning meetings, or sit in on a training meeting (classroom type, not investigating type). Research on the internet sites that have good articles by experienced investigators. Compare one site's theories with other sites theories. That's cross-referencing, and if one group's theories are weird, off the wall strange, be cautious. Visit a lot of forums that seem to be populated by mature, experienced, serious investigators. You can investigate with very little. A camera and a voice recorder to start with. So investigate at relatives homes. Explain the theories to them, in a logical manner, and maybe you'll find some of your relatives are interested too. And that may be the start of your team.

good suggestions. and personally i would say no need to stop at family, you got friends? any who think their homes are haunted? check it out. only if these are like serious kids though not knuckledheads who will want to join in on the search and ruin it, if theyre mature they can tag along without ruing it. the perk to this is it can be done any time of day youre allowed over, over night etc. and i mean if you get hurt there, how many 13 year old kids have been hurt at their friends house? countless. doesnt turn into a lawsuit all too often, and no one 18 or over is asking you to sign any contracts, as far as their concerned it some kids goofing off.

and then you can hold on to any documentation you get from these investigations at your friends/family's houses and use it to show that you have some experience when youre 18 and able to go for a real investigation team you can have an edge on others trying to find a spot.
hope this helped

-tommy

#13 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

Thanks!

Just one more question... are there any ways to convince your parent(s) that ghost hunting isn't so dangerous. My mom is almost as interested in it as I am, but I don't think she takes me seriously when I say I want to do it as a profession, any ways to show her its not that bad?

#14 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

Most convincing argument is that there has been no one proven to be injured directly by a ghost. True there are the risks associated with being out or in old buildings etc. But that would apply to anyone in those locations. If you avoid illegal tresspass, then there are no real dangers.

As for a profesion though, stay in school and study for a real occupation. There's no money in ghost hunting; even the Ghost Hunter guys on TV have a day job as Roto Rooter men!

#15 Zack Lemons

Zack Lemons

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hello there,

The youngest member of TCPSI is 15 as of now. You could show your mom the Youtube site (my signature) below. Vincent is 15 (the youngest) the oldest so far is 44 female Wendy. Wendy, Shane, Vincent and I went to two haunted junkyards last night.

http://michiganurban...n-has-more.html

I am uploading our newest slide show now. So by the time you read this you should be able to see it. As far as ghost hunting for yourself here are my best tips;

1. Don't endanger yourself or others.
2. Get a digital recorder for EVP recording.
3. Get a good cheap digital camera (8 Mega Pixel or better) with flash.
4. Research your target and find out if you can or are allow inside.
5. If you are asked to leave, don't argue just leave.

Ask around at school maybe you have friends or even teachers who want to join up with you. We have a school teacher as a member but so far hasn't been out in the field. Shane is 18 and I am 19 and like I said we won't turn people away due to age. People who over react are not invited to go out with us. You must keep everyone quiet when recording for EVPs. Have all people work in pairs so the data is never manipulated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users