Every town has one....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

....to borrow the tagline from the HomeTown Tales podcast (sorry Gene & Bryan!)

Anyway, yes, it seems to me that every town has a house or building that for whatever reason has taken on a sinister reputation for being haunted, even if it isn't.

I can think of some from places I used to live. When I was 10, we moved to Lindsay, Ontario, and lived on Elaine Drive. Now, Elaine Drive and all the other streets in the neighbourhood were late 70's/early 80's suburban houses, built on an old orchard (hence the name of the 'main' street of the subdivision, Orchard Park....lol). Across the street from me, on the corner of Elaine Drive and some other street I can't recall the name of was a house just like all the others. Somewhere I learned that just prior to our moving in to our house, one of the teenagers that had lived in that house had committed suicide in his room (which I could see the window of from my own bedroom window).

This scared me to no end, and every time I saw a light on in that window I freaked out. A few years later I got a paper route and they were on my route. I was terrified to deliver the paper and to collect payment and refused to trick or treat there on Halloween. All the other kids in the neighbourhood were scared of that place as well, we all considered it haunted by the boy although the only stories were the ones we made up. I've no idea if it actually was!

Another house in that town was up on Adelaide Street, just this old, worn out abandoned house that you passed by on the way to the park. There were tales of blood dripping from the walls, ghostly screams, faces in the window, but I don't actually recall anyone ever actually going into the place. It's long gone, they tore it down and built a few townhouses on the property when I was in high school.

When I lived in Mount Forest, Ontario, there was an old Victorian house that had been converted into apartments, in which a friend of a friend lived. The locals called this the 'Jap House' (my deepest apologies to all who are Japanese!). The story was that during WWII, Japanese Canadians were hidden in this house to prevent them from going to a confinement camp that was supposed to be somewhere in the county. It was also supposed to have been a brothel before that (which amuses me now, it was a town of 4000 when I lived there, it was probably a town of 100's when it was supposed to be a brothel, and the town was smack dab in the middle of Mennonite country!).

Of course, it was haunted, with a spooky narrow stairwell to the attic and creaks and moans and the like. I was there a few times and nothing ever happened that I saw or felt. Just stories.

So, what place or places in your town has such a reputation?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

~There is a home right down the block from mine ('C' Street) that used to be a Civil War hospital. There are many claims that it's haunted by soldiers that died while there.

Also there's a clinic down the road from me ("I" Street Clinic) that was built on property that once had a very haunted home built on. This same property is said to have been the path that the Indians traveled and while traveling on this path (in the dead of Winter), the princess to the Indian Chief passed away and now the land is haunted. Many people that work at the clinic has had files flying off the shelves, doors opening & closing on their own, etc...
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Ya know, I think I read about that clinic/location in one of my many ghost story books!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

Does anyone else have a tale of a reputedly haunted house or building in their town? Share! Such tales are sometimes every bit as interesting and enjoyable as tales of genuinely haunted houses!

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

None in my little city. But there was one in the area called the Vanderlip's Mansion in Rachco Palos Verdes (a nearby town.) I've heard of two stories attached to it.

Frank A. Vanderlip created the whole city of Palos Verdes, and he and his family were very wealthy and high class (this part is true).

Legend #1- Vanderlipís daughter fell in love with an African American man, which was considered very bad for a white person to do back then. Vanderlip forbade the relationship from happening between his daughter and her black lover, but she did it anyway, and she later became pregnant with his child. Vanderlip built an insane asylum across the street from his house, and put his daughter in there, and killed her lover and her baby. Vanderlipís daughter committed suicide, and it is said that she still haunts the Vanderlip mansion. I donít know if itís true or not, I thought I would share it with you all.

Legend #2- the wealthy Vanderlip family lived in a mansion in PV, one day the wife, Narcissa, went crazy and chopped up her family and buried them in the walls of the house. She also killed her two dogs and then hung herself from a wooden beam in the living room ceiling. The dogs reportedly haunt the yard and scare away trespassers. The woman and her family still haunt the house itself. Sightings of glowing dogs have been reported and members of the murdered family have been seen in the windows of the abandon house. Sometimes at night you can hear the children crying for help.

Possible Source- One story as to the possible source of the house being haunted is that Elin Vanderlip's father (Elin is the wife of Kelvin Vanderlip, one of Frank Vanderlip's children, who lived in the Vanderlip Mansion Villa Narcissa until her death at the age of 90 in July 2009) was of Norwegian descent and had a full head of white hair and would sometimes wander the streets at night in his nightgown, carrying a shotgun and accompanied by several dogs which had their voice boxes removed to prevent their disturbing Elin with their barking.

Edited by Cryscat, 10 November 2009 - 07:17 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thank Cryscat! I especially like the glowing dogs! And I find it interesting that that aspect of the legend can be traced to a person who lived until this summer who wandered about with his dogs.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Sorry to be confusing. It was Elin who recently died. Her father was the guy wandering the streets at night with the dogs and a shotgun. I have no idea when he passed away and since I don't live in that community, I have no idea how true that one is either. There is just so much activity associated with that mansion, if you can get to it.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#8 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

http://en.wikipedia....Disco_Club_fire

The above link provides info to a place people consider haunted here. The fire happened way before my time here. Most of the people I've met though believe that the former Ozone site is haunted.

#9 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

I've heard of a couple places on the Army War College campus that are haunted.

One is Corven Hall. Lucy Pretty Eagle lived in this building and a postie friend of mine from high school said she's seen Lucy bricking up/unbricking a tunnel in the basement. She also knocked over a candle holder when I was there visiting after finals. I felt her in the part of the basement that had the water heater in it.

Another is the Hessian Powder Keg. It's a museum now, but during the Revolutionary war, Hessian soldiers were kept prisoner there. It's been said that occasionally you can see them there some nights after the musuem's closed.

The last is the Letort View Community Center. I heard about this from a classmate in my senior English class. A coworker of her mom's had had to go into the LVCC after hours for something, and saw a woman carrying a bloody knife and wearing bloody clothing heading into the basement and heard screams from there. I could be getting some details wrong, since it's been about 5 years since I've heard about this.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#10 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

I live in Frederick, Maryland, which is in the historic district. When we first moved into my current home (were moving in two weeks) I had no idea what kind of history when on there. The building is pre-civil war, and turns out soldiers were stored in my basement before they could be cremated. Also, I found a link online somewhere that said someone was hanged at the bottom of my staircase, which is weird because of the way the door frame is set up. The wall above it is very thin, a little too thin to hang someone from, and it's also very low, so it must have been someone short. Either way, it's just a myth. I really haven't had too many experiences, sometimes I feel like someone's watching me, but that's no piece of evidence. Sometimes things get thrown down the stairs in the middle of the night, but I'm obviously to tired to get up and investigate. I'm not saying my house is haunted, but because of the history it's a possibility.

I went on a ghost tour of my city, and there were a good few "haunted" locations. One of them is the "Weinburg Center" where they host a lot of plays and recitals. I'm not sure about the history of the location, but apparently two friends of mine were in the bathroom, and they kept seeing a black mass dart around the room. I wasn't there to experience it, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt, yet still remained skeptical. I've lived in this town my whole life, been to the theater too many times to count, and I've never had a paranormal experience there.

I also live around the corner from the Barbara Fritchie house, which I'm sure most of you know the story of. Rumor has it you can sometimes see her through her bedroom window, or sitting in her rocking chair. When we were on the ghost tour, every time her name was spoken, the street light would turn on or off. It could have had a natural cause, but I would never know.

I believe there are several other building that claim to be haunted in my area. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find them on the internet. Given the history that took place here, I wouldn't be surprised if there are many. I hope these few caught your interest :)

Maili
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you donít believe itís true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#11 Roxie Z

Roxie Z

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

We have a great old house in Portsmouth - dates from the early 1800's. It's a beautiful brick building complete with a closed off tunnel in the basement - black marble fireplaces and lots of other great details. Throughout a number of years in the late 1800's the house was a brothel, as Portsmouth had many during these rough and tumble years.

The occupants of the building changed over the years and in the early 1980's it became a local favorite pub. The original owners told stories how they thought that the place was haunted by two women. Strangely enough many of the neighbors commented on seeing two women looking out of he second story windows (coincidently, the women during the brothel days would perch up into the windows and wave to the passers-by). The owners weren't afraid, in face one of the owners really liked the fact that these ladies were there.

The business eventually changed hands, and the new owner told the same tale. Of the women being seen in the mirrors, moving things off of counter tops and tables. The business was sold again and the next owners had immediate issues as they moved in - lights going off and on - things disappearing. They ending up closing and the business is now for lease.

I spoke at length with all of the owners over the years and spent a lot of time in this location - and there is no doubt in my mind that this place is haunted and perhaps by more than just the two women.
Bestselling Local Author & Proprietor of New England Curiosities Tours & Events. Experience local legends, lore and mystery. New England CuriositiesPosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users