• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:40 AM

I have Nikon and Pentax digital SLR cameras, both capable of shooting in JPEG, RAW and JPEG+RAW formats. My understanding is that the RAW format basically records what the sensor "sees", with no (or very little) image processing, as opposed to JPEG, which may cause image artifacts and "throws out" information that the software deems unnecessary in order to compress the data to a smaller file size.

I have been thinking about shootingh in the JPEG+RAW formats during investigations to see if anything shows up on the RAW image that may not on the JPEG. Also, if I do get something on JPEG, I can turn to the RAW file to be better able to analyze it. I know this will take more space on the memory due to larger files, but since I usually use 16GB cards, that's not really an issue. I also realize that it takes more time to "process" raw images, but both cameras allow me to do that in-camera if necessary. My understanding is that digital sensors are capable of recording a much wider spectrum than the camera processing allows, so maybe there would be more information on a RAW image?

Any thoughts?

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

Everything you say is correct. Regarding the RAW+JPG option that is really not neccesary though. The camera simply takes the existing RAW image and does a conversion to JPG. No camera actually shoots in JPG; JPG is a file created within the camera. Thus anything present on the RAW should also be on the JPG file (asuming no losses). But it is possible for the conversion process to create anomalies, thus JPG is less dependable than RAW. I would just use RAW and avoid the conversion process which should save a little time too.

#3 Ten301

Ten301

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for your imput, Cave Rat!

#4 Zack Lemons

Zack Lemons

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Our teams, use basic cameras you can get at walmart about 8 to 9 megapixel. Mainly you want the highest resolution setting on the camera. For example; 3472 x 2604 is pretty much what we are using. When we download the images to the PC hard disk, we lock them in as READ ONLY so nobody can copy over them by accident. Select all the images then right click, choose properties and under general check the read only box.

Anything we manipulate to see better we rename the new file ALTERED_BC_01.jpg This way we can tell what was done BC stands for Brighting or Contrast. We are using R for cropping. Well you get the idea.

At least this way you will have a perfect set of the original images to look back on for further testing.

Zack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users