• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dvd

dvd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

i read a little bit about the necronomicon in motley crue's 'the dirt' and it got me curious....just wondering if it's an interesting read or not....

saw a three pack on amazon with the necronomicon, the necronomicon spellbook and the satanists bible...might be some good reading to get me through this holiday season....

#2 dvd

dvd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

ha....just came across this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8

#3 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

LOL! Great vid!

The popular editions of the necronomicon that are available may be good reading, but they are entirely fictional, too.

It was created by the great H.P. Lovecraft, who is my favorite author. I would actually recommend just reading his works. They are way better than any of the fake Necromomicons floating around out there.

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Necronomicon

Regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#4 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

The Necromonicon is best with a few of Lovecraft's other stories under your belt to get the best flavor of it. Otherwise, it really sits kinda dry and tasteless.

You'd have a lot more fun having a Lovecraft orgy for the holidays, he's got a good number of stories published and leave the spell book and the 'satanic' bible for the D & D crowd to use in their gaming, where they actually might serve a purpose.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#5 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:00 AM

The Necromonicon is best with a few of Lovecraft's other stories under your belt to get the best flavor of it. Otherwise, it really sits kinda dry and tasteless.

You'd have a lot more fun having a Lovecraft orgy for the holidays, he's got a good number of stories published and leave the spell book and the 'satanic' bible for the D & D crowd to use in their gaming, where they actually might serve a purpose.

ROFLMAO!!

Well put, Greg!

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

D & D come with it's own spells and the like in game.

So sayith the old school gamer. We used the wealth of material within the gaming world of D & D (and of Rifts when we played Rifts, and of WoD when we played WoD and of Warhammer when we played Warhammer......) and had no need for the Necronomicon. You must have D & D confused with Call of Cthulhu, which is based on Lovecraft's work and therefore obviously uses the information in the Necronomicon.

Get yer gaming right! Don't make me smite you!

That said, yes, the Necronomicon is indeed Lovecraft's creation.

Edited by Vampchick21, 13 November 2009 - 10:08 AM.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Something to keep in mind when selecting a necromomicon book:

The most common version, usually refered to as the "Simon" Necromomicon, is really not based in any way on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. It is based on Summerian myth, and so does not contain anything of value for the Lovecraft afficianado.

D&D players may like it, though. :ghost:

Regards, Canis

#8 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

D & D come with it's own spells and the like in game.

So sayith the old school gamer. We used the wealth of material within the gaming world of D & D (and of Rifts when we played Rifts, and of WoD when we played WoD and of Warhammer when we played Warhammer......) and had no need for the Necronomicon. You must have D & D confused with Call of Cthulhu, which is based on Lovecraft's work and therefore obviously uses the information in the Necronomicon.

Get yer gaming right! Don't make me smite you!

Know thee, oh Young One, that I wast gaming before thou was even born. As a pilgrim, gamed with the Grand Master Gygax and learned the craft of the DM. In those times gone past, before the Awful Spectre of Copywrite reared his fearsome head, Cthulu and Cthuga roamed the worlds of the Dungeon. :ghost:

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

Ah, so back in the Dark Ages, eh? :ghost:

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 spooksfield

spooksfield

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:23 PM

yeah the "origins" of Necronomicon are controversial and there is some evidence to support the Middle Eastern origins though more compelling evidence on the side of Lovecraft. I have and have read"Simon's" Necronomicon, The Necronomicon spell book and The Book of dead names whic goes into "Simon's" version of how he came into possession of the book. It is interesting also "simon" has been on C2Cam talking about it a couple of times.

The Mad Arab was the central character and is in both "simon's" and mentioned in Lovecraft if i recall.

B
2012:The Paranormal CookbookConvergence of Reality and the SupernaturalDrops in January 2010spooksfield.com

#11 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Ah, so back in the Dark Ages, eh? :ghost:

So, are these others you mention computer games or the book driven type? And Lovecraft has his own Role Playing Game? The only other game out there of any competition back then was one called Role Master and its companion, Space Master. They actually played better and had better charactor development, at least as far as making a logical charactor progression,

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#12 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

Ah, so back in the Dark Ages, eh? ;)

So, are these others you mention computer games or the book driven type? And Lovecraft has his own Role Playing Game? The only other game out there of any competition back then was one called Role Master and its companion, Space Master. They actually played better and had better charactor development, at least as far as making a logical charactor progression,

Good, old fashioned, multi-sided dice powered Role Playing Games, where you gather together with pen and paper character sheets, a Dungeon or Game Master (preferably evil) and far too much caffine and sugar. And yes, there is a Lovecraftian game, I mentioned it up above, Call of Cthulhu, also referred to as CoC.

I said Dark Ages because when D & D came out, I was still in diapers, and didn't start RPing until the late 80's. :ghost: Didn't often do D & D, or AD & D, generally stuck with Rifts/Paladium and WoD's VtM (World of Darkness, Vampire the Masquerade)

That said, all RPG's now have computer versions of them, and online gaming for them as well.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#13 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Sounds like they have taken all the humanity (DM having a bad day) out of everything. Just passed my bag of multi sided die down to my son, so he can continue the tradition, along with my ancient books, several first additions of the monster, dm guide and players' guide. The first edition MM II had all the Cthulu Mythos critters in it.

Greg
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#14 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Sounds like they have taken all the humanity (DM having a bad day) out of everything. Just passed my bag of multi sided die down to my son, so he can continue the tradition, along with my ancient books, several first additions of the monster, dm guide and players' guide. The first edition MM II had all the Cthulu Mythos critters in it.

Greg

My friends andI still meet twice a month for good ol' fashioned paper & pencil PRG sessions, and some wargames.

We have a ton of fun everytime we do it.

I love the speed and simplicity of PC or online versions, but there is no substitute for face time with good friends and the creative flow of a table top game.

The very best is when you pull some lateral solution out of left field and manage to absolutely surprise the GM and the rest of the people you have been playing with for over a decade. :ghost: You just do not get that opportunity with a 'pooter screen.

Canis

#15 dvd

dvd

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

hijacked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users