4 replies to this topic

#1 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal. music. creating web sites

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:59 AM

is there a certain cassette tape for recorders that are better for getting evps than others?

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:08 AM

I prefer the chrome or metal tapes over regular because it can provide slightly better s/n ratio and high frequency response. Of course that comes with the conditions that your recorder is set up to use metal tape. The response is different and requires different equalization. Recorders providing this feature have a switch to select which mode you want.

Otherwise any good low noise tape should work. Just stay clear of the cheapo tapes; they either are prone to breaking or jamming, and usually don't have as good of a freuency response or linearity. Regarding brands, i have nor found any one particular one better or worse than any other. Just stick with a name brand and avoid the cheapos!

#3 LanceM

LanceM

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:anything paranormal. music. creating web sites

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

I know you are supposed to use blank tapes when doing EVPs but what about using the back side of tapes? Is that OK or does it make the EVP less credible?

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

Provided your recorder is properly adjusted there is no problem using both A and B sides of a tape. however if the head is misaligned it might be possible to get some crosstalk between tracks. Usually though if it is this far out of adjustment other syptoms such as poor frequency respons will become noticable long before it gets to the point it can cause crosstalk.

BTW, regarding "blank" tapes, all tapes should be bulk erased prior to use since certain artifacts from manufature may be left on even new tapes. Bulk erasing them will clear those artifacts. Also note that since this form of erasing completely clears the entire surface of the tape it IS permissable to reuse tapes as long as they are in good physical condition. You do not have to toss out tapes once used as long as you get a bulk eraser.

http://www.highsmith...ser-c_23410695/

You may find a better price elsewhere, I just picked the first link that came up. Note though some erasers won't work on metal tapes if you are using those.

#5 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up on bulk erasers...always feared winding up with a house full of cassette tapes again. I'd wind up going into an 80s flashback scenario for sure Whirly Dude
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users