• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Ok, here's the situation. Myself, and most members of my group use Motorola walkie-talkies when out in the field. I had an idea of how we could maybe use these radios as listening-devices.
What I wanted to do was to add an external mic to the radio, set it on voice activated, and set it out near the perimeter of camp or wherever we thought it might come in handy.
We could then, using a scanner, monitor each radios frequency. Each radio will be marked on a map, so if we get a hit from say, radio C, we will know exactly where the radio is, and we can watch that area more closely.
Here's the problem. The jack on my Motorola (2.5mm) is designed for use only with a earpiece-mic combination. I tried a few different mics with the same sized plug, and none of them fit quite right.
By only being able to use that type of ear/mic combination, we would be very limited as to the quality of mic that we could use.
I asked about the potential of using a ear/mic thats meant to be used on a cell phone. Thing is, again we'd have limited sound quality, beside the fact that most cellphone headsets aren't voice activated.
I was also told that sometimes Motorola sets up the radios so they will only work with Motorola accessories.
Now if any of this isn't correct, let me know, this is all from one guy at Radio Shack and they don't really know what they are talking about sometimes.
Now, to the New Piece of Gear part of the post. What I want is the ability to plug any kind of microphone into my radio. Whether someone can take an existing headset, eliminate the speaker, and somehow add a jack that will allow me to do so, or if someone knows of an adapter?
Any electronic wizards out there?

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

Yep, can be done. You need a preamp to boost the audio level of the mic for improved sensitivity. Also a voice activated switch to provide for the transmit function if audio was present. Such a device can be built, I would say at around $50 - $75 per unit. It would work with any general purpose mic too.

I built them years ago for use in conjunction with CB radios when they were popular; same principle would be used for any 2 way radio.

#3 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

Sounds great! A couple other things. It would have to be compact, reliable, fairly weather proof, and be able to stand up to use in the field.
Anything too delicate just won't work. Often times we are carrying all our gear in on our backs. Things get bumped around, dropped, and exposed to the elements.
Of course the radios themselves aren't meant to be beat on and left out in the rain, so anything that we would attach to the radio we would like to be at least as durable as the radio itself, but they don't have to be made of cast iron.
Would it be possible to whip one up for me Jim?

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Durability not a problem, bigget issue would be testing and verifying the device since without actually having a radio to test it final tweaks would not be possible unless you have a tech guy to work with me and answer a few questions on your end once the device is built.

Otherwise yes I have facilities here to put something together and verify the basic operation.

#5 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Well heck, I could send you the radios if that would help.

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:37 AM

I will get in touch via e-mail. If you have definite ideas in mind as to what you need I can put together a quote based on your specs. and the number of units you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users