• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 Cheshire

Cheshire

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:37 PM

I've noticed some pretty interesting user names used here at GhostVillage. I was just wondering if anybody would be willing to share the meaning behind thier name with all of us. I suppose it'd make sense for me to start....my name comes from a long tale of love, excitment, tears, mischief, longing, desire and sex. Sound interesting? Well, it really isn't. It's actually just a nickname that I've had for years for a couple reasons...I have a very distinct, lopsided grin and I pretty much always have an answer for everything. Not quite sure how to work all the tears, longing,, and desire into that yet but give me some time.

Edited by secretsign, 16 January 2008 - 01:29 PM.

Follow no one, break the rules and live life on the edge.

#2 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:03 AM

That's an interesting question Cheshire...... I've always wondered this too so look forward to people's answers  :P

Well mine is pretty wierd I suppose so I'll explain.....
I'm a huge fan of Kylie Minogue (Aussie singer) and have been for 15 years now. One of her songs is called 'Spinning Around' and when I used to go on the Kylie forums I'd use inaspin as my nickname. I had to put a 2 after it on here as it said somebody already had my name when I registered! Not seen them appear yet though  ???
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#3 Freda

Freda

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:47 AM

Mine is a shortened version of my own name - Alfreda.

I think my parents were hoping for a boy when they were waiting for my birth- many moons ago - and they were going to call me after my Dad - Alfred.  So they just stuck an 'a' on the end of it.

I am known more by 'Fred' than anything else.

Nothing mysterious I'm afraid. :P
Refuse to set boundaries to what is achievable and you will make the impossible happen. Brahma Kumaris.

#4 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 04:49 AM

I use masquarade only certain places, its sort of fitting, do we really know how is on the other end of the computer while we're here??
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#5 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:24 AM

Masquarade I don't think we ever know for certain who we're communicating with in this huge place that is the internet.  :-/  I like to think I 'know' all the nice folk on here though, it's a trusting community  :P
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#6 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:14 AM

Interesting names you guys.  ;)  Some of my friends call me Bangin and I've used this as my 'online' name for a while now.  Initially, it was given to me because of my body.   ::P  Ah, men...lol  
First voice: "Where is he...around here?"Second voice: "He's dead."First voice: "Ah, he could be anywhere then."

#7 ohhorror

ohhorror

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Photography, I love digital infrared photography, History, Computers and of course computer games, Psychology, Strip Clubs, Oh, and of course ghost hunting and paranormal studies.

Posted 11 August 2003 - 09:01 AM

Well mine is really not that interesting I have always been a huge fan of horror movies and books, it is really short for oh the horror. What is more interesting is my quote, it comes from a story called The Yellow Sign by Robert Chambers around 1895. H.P. Lovecraft and Chambers knew each other and Chambers wrote stories about the King in Yellow who was the old god known as Hastur, his sign was the Yellow sign anyone who saw it was driven to madness. As well is the play the King in Yellow which Chambers actually wrote as a play to read through it you would lose your mind. On a side note Chambers books went out of print, which added to the mystery, and even today hardcover copies are hard to find. Here is a little bit from the Yellow Sign: I took supper that night, or rather we took supper, Miss Carmichael and I, at Solari's and the dawn was just beginning to gild the cross on the Memorial Church as I entered Washington Square after leaving Edith at the Brunswick. There was not a soul in the park as I passed among the trees and took the walk which leads from the Garibaldi statue to the Hamilton Apartment House, but as I passed the churchyard I saw a figure sitting on the stone steps. In spite of myself a chill crept over me at the sight of the white puffy face, and I hastened to pass. Then he said something which might have been addressed to me or might merely have been a mutter to himself, but a sudden furious anger flamed up within me that such a creature should address me. For an instant I felt like wheeling about and smashing my stick over his head, but I walked on, and entering the Hamilton went to my apartment. For some time I tossed about the bed trying to get the sound of his voice out of my ears, but could not. It filled my head, that muttering sound, like thick oily smoke from a fat- rendering vat or an odor of noisome decay. And as I lay and tossed about, the voice in my ears seemed more distinct, and I began to understand the words he had muttered. They came to me slowly as if I had forgotten them, and at last I could make some sense out of the sounds. It was this:

"Have you found the Yellow Sign?"

I was furious. What did he mean by that? Then with a curse upon him and his I rolled over and went to sleep, but when I awoke later I looked pale and haggard, for I had dreamed the dream of the night before and it troubled me more than I cared to think.
Posted Image Founder of the Connecticut Paranormal Research Team - www.ctparanormal.comhttp://www.myspace.com/ghosthunterx

#8 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 11:57 AM

I got mine because of your sign in name and then your password is supose to be a secret...lol
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#9 Rockhauler2k1

Rockhauler2k1

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Interests:The Force

Posted 11 August 2003 - 12:47 PM

Rockhauler2k1   ::P

Hmmmmmm lets see here .  ???

Just kidding, I used to drive a dumptruck  ;)

Now I drive a fuel truck ( tank wagon for a local energy company).  Should I change it to PetroDriver2k1? lol just kidding.

I liked the name and it was my email address too. I didnt feel like changing it so ergo Rockhauler2k1.

The 2k1 is because Rockhauler was already taken .  ;D

I am also known on the internet as SpectorDetector  ;D
Many of the truths that we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view.Posted Image

#10 Kellerz

Kellerz

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:37 PM

Kellerz is just one of a few nicknames i've been given down the line... it comes (pretty obviously) from my first name kelly ... how ever the kelly comes from the irish gaelic cealaigh which means strife  ;D  explains alot  heh.

and just for the hell of it ... other names people call me:

kel...

mogwai (given by hubby as i started calling him gremlin after he did an impression of spike from gremlins)

and wallaby ... there is no logical reason for this name.. my friend b/f called me his little black haired wallaby (i had dyed my hair black) and the name stuck ..... however i do call him cannibal spud.... he declared he was a potato and that he liked eating potato salad...

and no we weren't smoking anything  ;D
Hide me from me, fill these holes with eyes for mine are not mine. Hide my head and need, for i am no good, so dead in life, so much time. (Stan Rice 'Cannibal')Just call me Mrs Willard

#11 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:42 PM

Hey I like this idea, I look forward to reading more of the explanations.
Mine is quite simple actually, Cajun stands for south Louisiana and the Knight part is for Law Enforcement, the knights were the original police of the past. So out bounced 'CajunKnight' one night and it has stuck ever since. It actually ticks me off to find others have taken the name since I first put it online. I have the same spelling on all the online sign ups I have done.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#12 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:35 PM

cajun,

I understand getting ticked, eight years ago I started out as mommy, apparently one of the first since I even got that as my e-mail when geocities ran it...had to get off line for a few years and I had to rename myself,...very frustrating when someone steals your identity *g*
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#13 gouliegirl777

gouliegirl777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 09:10 PM

Although I am new to this site, I thought I would get this out of they way, as I am asked frequently about my name. (Although it doesn't seem that unusual here!)

I do alot of Cemetery work by day(and Ghost Hunting by night LOL) in old cemeteries. I Care for some really old ones near me, doing research, genealogy work, ploting and maping, and restoration.

I have a favorite one that is a very old one that most of my ancestors are buried in, that I tend to. There is a Sheriff that I met there one day, that grew up playing in that cemetery as a child, and it is one of his favorite places also. Well we became friends, and his ex wife has the same name as me, so not to confuse us in e-mails, he called me goulie girl all the time, and well the name kinda stuck. Guess it is only appropriate since I spend most of my free time working in them in one way or another LOL.

And yes I have done a Ghost hunt out there, I am very at ease and comfortable in this place all day, but when we went at night...well it changed very quickly! ....but thats another story, maybe sometime, I will tell it in the story area LOL. Needless to say, it took all the courage I had to back by myself one day to work.

Thanks for the question, it's interesting to hear everyones responces, as you always wonder how peoples names come about.

#14 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 09:37 PM

This is such a neat topic! Keep em coming! I want to hear more.  :P

My name...obviously is very easy to figure out, haha. I'm a ghost hunter, and a very girlie girl....so whatdoyaget?

GHOSTHUNTER_GIRL! So logical.... ;D
"The head are the invisible ones, but not the absent ones." -Victor Hugo

#15 hoppip

hoppip

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 07:04 AM

Well My name is simple you see because its my real name. and i like my name so i used it ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users