What Religious belief are you?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 asdcwefew

asdcwefew

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:57 AM

You know it's come to my attention that there are alot of conflicting views going on because of the topic of religion and subjects it ties into. I'm pretty sure me as a die hard but understanding follower of Christ has a couple times in the past made someone uncomfortable and or otherwise on this site before. So I feel like we should disclose this stuff now so everyone has a list of who's who.

I'm not here to try and convert any of you using this thread (unless you want me to, in which then I will PM u). I just would like to know so I can avoid making anyone uneasy.

Well for me, I am a confirmed Lutheran; though I prefer to follow my own ideals on some manners of how priests teach. For example. a lot of people at my church do not like heavy metal like Slipknot and or otherwise. I on the other hand love Slipknot and all it's awesomeness, yet I don't believe in the lyrics or take it as a hindrance to my faith. That is why I listen to it while others in my church don't.

#2 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

There's already a poll asking Villagers for their religion.

My family joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the 1830s and 1840s. Prior to that, many of my ancestors were preachers in other Christian sects. Religion has always been important.

I am an Elder in the LdS Church, like my brothers and my father. My father was bishop for a time as were both my grandfathers.

It is against the Ghost Village Member guidelines to preach or actively seek to convert others. However, it is acceptable to answer questions and to share aspects of your religion in an educational fashion. I maintain a thread on Mormonism (hm, no activity in a year), and there are threads on other religious paths, too.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#3 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

I hope I answer this write, not in the case of my believes but the topic of my response.

My mother is Catholic and father Jewish. I celebrate almost all the holidays but I don't consider myself any religion. I have no religious views and I don't believe in any of it. I have a feeling some may want to rip me apart saying this, but I like to base my beliefs off of evidence and there is no evidence any of this exists. I didn't grow up going to church, so that's probably the reason I have this view on it. I went a few times with my grandparents when I was young, but I didn't know what was going on and I spent most of the time playing with my cousins.

If someone could change my mind and make me a believer, let them. But I doubt it's possible.
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you don’t believe it’s true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

If someone could change my mind and make me a believer, let them. But I doubt it's possible.

Believer in what?
Posted Image

#5 the queen

the queen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

You know it's come to my attention that there are alot of conflicting views going on because of the topic of religion and subjects it ties into. I'm pretty sure me as a die hard but understanding follower of Christ has a couple times in the past made someone uncomfortable and or otherwise on this site before. So I feel like we should disclose this stuff now so everyone has a list of who's who.

I'm not here to try and convert any of you using this thread (unless you want me to, in which then I will PM u). I just would like to know so I can avoid making anyone uneasy.

Well for me, I am a confirmed Lutheran; though I prefer to follow my own ideals on some manners of how priests teach. For example. a lot of people at my church do not like heavy metal like Slipknot and or otherwise. I on the other hand love Slipknot and all it's awesomeness, yet I don't believe in the lyrics or take it as a hindrance to my faith. That is why I listen to it while others in my church don't.

pentacostal/charismatic; you don't make me uncomfortable talking about Christ, i'm an old rock'n roller and still listen to music; heavy metal sort of made my head hurt, but some of the new music today i love so rock on my friend and keep the faith.
Fondly,the Queen
"What a long strange trip it's been" aka Grateful Dead
The West Memphis 3 Are Free!!!!!
www.wm3.org

#6 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

Believer in what?

Any of the things religious people believe, Jesus, God, Heaven, Hell and all that stuff.
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you don’t believe it’s true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,399 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

Any of the things religious people believe, Jesus, God, Heaven, Hell and all that stuff.

:whee: to each their own
Posted Image

#8 angelia79

angelia79

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Of course all things paranormal, in addition to: Reading (alot), Music, MORE Music, UFC, MMA, Football, MORE Music, laughing at my pet (a Goffin's Cockatoo named Chico (he's CRAZY!!), training at the dojo, working, fishing, spending as much time with family as possible; you only have them here on Earth w/ you for such a short time, hanging and playing XBox 360 w/ my 11yr old son, spending time w/ the love of my life, Dave, we've been together just about 13yrs. .....hmmm.... can't think of anything more at the moment...

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

:) to each their own

Very well said, Moon! I must agree with you.

As for myself, I was brought up a Roman Catholic, and still practice my Faith. I attend Mass on Sat or Sun. I believe in all the Bible has to say. However, I often find myself perusing other forms of religion/spirituality just out of curiosity. For instance, lately I have been very interested in and have been learning about Buddhism....but I will remain a Catholic. I just like to learn about new things.

*~A~*
Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far. Shine on you crazy diamond!

#9 Christiano

Christiano

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

I've been baptized at the LDS church last Dec. 15. I'll go to the LDS temple in Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil, next March 13, along with other church members from my branch.

#10 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Well, as this thread seems to be in the interest of full disclosure, I will reveal what I have in other posts, about my spiritual path (I purposefully use the word 'spiritual' in lieu of 'faith' for many reasons I'd be glad to elaborate on if anyone wishes - at another time). I am Jewish, which puts me in the minority, especially in a community such as this (or so it seems), as I have noticed many dealings with the paranormal have a strong 'Christian slant' in terms of how folks with paranormal incidents are counseled to deal with them.

Related, only tangentially to the 'faith' issue and mine in particular, I really enjoy Angelia79's 'signature'. It speaks to the Jewish notion of the 10 sephirot, and in particular to the idea that the perfection of G-d is a vessel that has broken and that in that pieces or sparks of that G-d head or G-d liness has been scattered all over the world and it is our job to 'tikkun olam' - repair the world.

I have posted this question in the past,but will mention it again as I believe it relates to the post - in that it may help everyone relate with those of differing faiths - Why does there seem to be such an overwhelming interpretation of supernatural things through a Christian lens/filter? I do not ask as a slight in any way - we each take the path that speaks to us - but only to further understand this area of study.
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#11 Seer

Seer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:The Metaphysical. Healing, Self healing, meditation, expanding awareness.<br /><br />I run a meditation group on Wednesday evenings. <br /><br />I love helping others.<br /><br />I am a constant reader and love to learn whatever I can. <br /><br />I used to ride a Harely Sportster 1200 but just upgraded to a Softtail Nighttrain 1450. It's beautiful.

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

I was brought up both Baptist and Pentecostal. My beliefs are some of what I had been brought up with and from some of my own experiences outside of church. I do believe in a creator and I call him God. I also believe in Jesus and the Holy Spirit. I do not put limits on what our creator/the universe can do nor what I as a soul can do. Everything is limitless, infinite.

My understanding through experiences have taught me that there is so much more than what the Bible teaches and what the church teaches. I have seen things and been shown things that have literally blown me away. It intertwines all faiths, it intertwines all beliefs because it just is.....

I practice meditation and also have just started going back to church. It was different than before, before I started meditating and connecting. The feeling I get when I meditate and while giving readings was intensified and there with me at church. It answered another question for me. How do metaphysics and religion go together? They are one in the same but just a different understanding or way of learning.

The only thing that matters is what you believe in. It's not what other's think you believe in. The experiences that you have had, what is in your heart, what is in your head and most especially who you are, who you truly are inside. Know that we were created and we live on this planet to experience life.

I am here as a soul to have a physical experience and I plan to make it the best life yet!
I am more than my physical body.

#12 TravisBelton

TravisBelton

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

<<I have posted this question in the past,but will mention it again as I believe it relates to the post - in that it may help everyone relate with those of differing faiths - Why does there seem to be such an overwhelming interpretation of supernatural things through a Christian lens/filter? I do not ask as a slight in any way - we each take the path that speaks to us - but only to further understand this area of study.>>

I am of the Jewish faith as well. I think your question is a good one and I think you may have actually answered this in your post without even realizing it. I mean this in no disrespect what so ever but those who belong to the Christian faith are the majority and I believe that is why the supernatural is often seen through a Christian lens. Believe it or not Judaism has things to say regarding spiritual entities (ghosts), spirit possession (notice I did not say demonic possession), and magical practices. A great book that I use as a resource is entitled "Jewish Magic and Superstition" by Joshua Trachtenberg. You can find the text online at http://www.sacred-te...d/jms/index.htm Look at the other sources that are available as well. Sacred texts. com is a great resource.

Even the Tanach (what Christians call the "Old Testement" also know as Hebrew Scriptures) speaks of these things. Ghosts, spirit possession and magical practices are even discussed extensively in the Babylonian Talmud. Some of the Hassidic Stories talk about these topics.

I hope this information has been helpful.

L'Shalom v'bracha (peace and blessings),

Travis
-Travis

#13 dancinmiriam

dancinmiriam

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Classical ballet, Flamenco, Classical Indian (heck, any classical dance form-though Ballet is my muse and my profession); religious studies; history;paranormal and spiritual studies.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

Shalom, Travis and toda rabah! I have actually used a book of 'ghost' stories for my students (I teach religious school for my temple) during some seasons/holidays of the year for our storytelling sections and know of many of the Chassidic stories and the biblical references to spirits. You are correct in the assessment of Christians simply being in the majority and thus making those views more obvious, for lack of a better word. I do recall some writings by Trachtenberg, just can't bring them to mind at the moment. I will definitely check out your link. I don't want to hijack the posters thread, but would love to explore more the question I had asked in an earlier thread in "Religion/spirituality" and would love to speak with others on Judaism and the paranormal (and it's relationship with other 'faith' communities).
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep, too fine, for words. ~ Ruth St. Denis

#14 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

I've been baptized at the LDS church last Dec. 15. I'll go to the LDS temple in Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil, next March 13, along with other church members from my branch.

Que legal! Eu era missionario SUD na missão Brasil Campinas quando se anunciou o templo lá. Que edificio lindo, neh?

For those who don't speak Portuguese, I served an LdS mission in Campinas, and I commented on the beauty of the Campinas Temple.

I'm trying to remember if your city was in my mission boundaries (4 missions in São Paulo city and about that again in São Paulo state).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#15 SGT Miles

SGT Miles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Horror flicks, Video Games, Snow Boarding, Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse that we all know is coming ;). Disproving or proving claims of paranormal activity is my true passion though, I love shuffling through pictures of dust balls that &quot;prove&quot; a place is haunted before spending the night listening to the water pipes bang against the floor boards when it kicks on...but the one thing I love more is finding something I have absolutely no earthly explanation for.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

I am a Wiccan, and an ordained High Priest, which basically just means at one point I was the high Priest of a Coven and got a piece of paper signed by an officiate church stating I had been legaly ordained and there fore aloud by law(depending on the state) to preform marriages. But yeah been practicing the craft ever since I was 8ish, shortly after my first seriese of paranormal events when my grandparents (who were Baptists and extreme non-believers) kept trying to convince me I hadn't seen anything and that non of Gods children get left behind, so in a way I guess I have my grandparents skepticism to thank for finding my true path because at that young age I attributed the way they were to the way all christian people must be so I decided to see what else there was out there and eventually came across Wicca and it jsut felt right. So now 15 years later here I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users