• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:41 AM

I am interested in conducting an experiment in ESP. Specifically, I want to see the following:

1. Does it work for me.
2. Does it make a difference if the participants are unknown to each other.
3. Does geographic location and distance make any difference.

So, at exactly 00.00hrs Greenwich Mean Time on Sunday, January 31st, I will sit in my office and visualize a particular image in my mind. I will do it for five minutes.

Anyone who is interested in participating is encouraged to do so, and then post their impressions of what they think the image is on this site afterwards.

Also, participants are encouraged to make any constructive suggestions regarding experimental method.

I don’t know how to do this (which is why I am conducting the experiment), but I suggest that participants sit in a quiet location, and note if any particularly strong images come to mind during the period of the experiment.

To ensure co-ordination and timing:

0.00hrs Sunday GMT = 7.00pm Saturday in NYC = 4.00pm Saturday LA = 11.00am Sunday Sydney

#2 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'll be here at 4pm EST. Worth a shot!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#3 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

So? Did anyone get anything?

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

The only thing I saw was a gaggle of wires
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

but the 31st isn't until tomorrow for me. As soon as I read that you'll be concentrating on something for 5 minutes, the first thing that popped into my head were wires...so don't laugh too loud.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#6 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:59 AM

Nothing at all...but I also had three kids here and the conditions were not optimal at all. You should hold a second attempt using the chat room :)
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#7 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

but the 31st isn't until tomorrow for me. As soon as I read that you'll be concentrating on something for 5 minutes, the first thing that popped into my head were wires...so don't laugh too loud.

Actually, I am not laughing at all; as a matter of fact, I find it kind of spooky.

Except for taking about an hour off to do the ESP thing, I spent all weekend on doing some renovations on a neighbor’s house.

She has an old Colonial house, and I have been installing some new lighting for her.

The biggest problem with this renovation has been in pulling through the new wiring for the switches and fixtures. Consequently, I have spent more time in thinking about how to pull the wires through than I have been on doing anything else.

I first agreed to do this job for her some weeks ago, so the wiring issue has been in the back of my mind for the whole time.

Therefore, your vision of “a gaggle of wires” is either a really remarkable coincidence, or we may actually have had something happen here.

If fifty other people had also seen a bunch of wires, we might all be having a really severe case of goose bumps!

It will be interesting to see if you get any other similar kinds of impressions in the future.

Thanks for participating!

#8 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

Nothing at all...but I also had three kids here and the conditions were not optimal at all. You should hold a second attempt using the chat room :)

Too bad about the “nothing at all”. No wiring?

I am certainly interested in giving it a second go; particularly in light of Laurie Anne's impression of "wiring".

How do you suggest we go about doing it using a chat room?

#9 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hi Canuck,

I really like the idea of this experiment you are conducting. I regret that circumstances did not permit my participation in the first round. I'm glad to hear that you are contemplating another try. I hope that I canparticipate then.

Under the heading of constructive suggestions, I would like to bring up the need to put careful controls against subjective validation into the experiment.

It may not be an easy thing to do, but if the results are to have real meaning, it is vitally important. An example of subjective validation can be found in the "wiring" hit that seems to have occurred. I hope that everyone will forgive me for using that as an example.

Your experiment success criteria was that people were able to perceive an image that you were thinking of. When Laurie Ann said "wires" you associated that with something outside of the accepted success criteria, but still allowed that it may have significance. The truth is, the word “wiring” could have seeming significance in thousands of situations. It would not really have surprised me if this word did touch on the image you were concentrating on in some way. It is no great coincidence at all that you were able to find some significance in it once you departed from the boundaries of the experiment. That is subjective validation. If it sounds like I am beating you up, I apologize. I certainly do not think ill of you for falling into this common trap. Almost anyone would if they do not take specific steps to control against it.

These are the steps I would suggest:

I would suggest that you set some very firm guidelines down on paper for what you will accept as a hit. They should be constructed in such a way as to eliminate personal interperitation.

Select about 10 photos of objects that are simple, and without a lot of extraneous detail.
A public building like the Louvre would be a bad choice. It’s a complicated scene with lots of shapes and elements that could be construed to match with a lot of randomly guessd words. Results like “pyramid” “people” France” “museum” “building” and tons of others could be seen to apply. Such results might indeed be valid, but the could also be random guesses that we as experimenters would subjectively judge as having merit. Try to find photos of simple, uncomplicated images such as a set of empty shelves against a blank wall. Acceptable hits would be words like “shelves” “bookcase” or any other commonly used name for the object. Responses that should not be considered hits would be vague guesses like “I see some horizontal lines” or “a container of some sort” These vague words or phrases seem to have significance, but they are not specific enough to be safely counted as positive results. They have enough room for interpretation to allow us to apply them to many objects or situations. As an aside, I have seen many remote viewers allow themselves to be fooled in this way.

Now, once you have your photos selected, place them all in identical sealed envelopes, mix them up and then choose the one you will use randomly. Do not open it until the experiment begins. That is important to isolate the time of the experiment. You are not testing precognition, only telepathy. Knowing the subject ahead of time would only allow for more confusion & ad hoc hypotheses.

Concentrate only on the object during the experiment. Not on its uses or associated objects. Going back to our example of empty shelves, words like “storage” “canned goods” or “Books” would not be acceptable hits.

I hope I have made it clear where I am going with all this. The goal is to remove all ambiguity and possibility for self-deception. Let’s face it, we all want this to be true, right? I know I do. That is why we have to guard so carefully. We will fool ourselves if we allow ourselves the chance to do so.

Now, to be really controlled, the experiment should be “blinded”. Well constructed experiments are not just “single-blinded,” they are “double-blinded.” That means none of the participants or experimenters are aware of what is happening, especially the person(s) evaluating the data.

First, the participants should not be able to see each other’s responses. They could easily influence each other and skew the results to false positives or false negatives. We do not want either. People responding should send their responses privately to a third party.

Why a third party? Because we have to blind your end of things as well, Canuck. You are a participant, also. You have an interest in the results and so are not an objective judge of the responses. No person would be in your shoes. In fact, even a disinterested third party must be blinded so that they do not know what the correct answers are.

Once the third party evaluation person(s) have the results, they should be given all of the initial group of photos, resealed in identical envelopes. The judge then unseals the envelopes and looks at all the photos in random order. They should then review the responses form participants and look for corrilations. Since they have no idea which photo is the correct one, their personal bias in favor or against the experiment can not influence them. It is true that someone that was totally against the success of the experiment could simply declare no matches at all. That is why it is good to have more than one judge and put them all through a screening process before selection.

There are more things perhaps, but this is a decent start.

Regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#10 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

~Canis, I think this is a great idea & hopefully it'll work the second time around...but who knows. All I know is I've been "like this" since I was in my early teens. It's not a guarantee everytime, but I'm learning on which thoughts are the best...and it's usually always the first one, which were the picture of wires I had in my head. So maybe subconciously (sp?) Canuck was still frazzled about having to deal with electrical issues. I'm not sure, but I just honestly said what I saw. I threw it out there, at the expense of either being ignored or chuckled at ( I do alot of chuckling at myself, so it's all good).
Either way, having a controlled environment when doing this type of experiment is a great idea and I hope we can do it again.

#11 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

Hi Canis:

Thank you for your response.

Your comments and observations are perfectly valid; and I certainly do not take any offence. I did ask for comments and suggestions, and I accept yours in the spirit they were offered.

Your comments are entirely consistent with established protocols and methods for scientific research in general and, more particularly, are widely adhered to by serious researchers in the field of ESP research; so I have no problem with what you have said.

However, in relation to what I was/am attempting to achieve here, it is way too early to apply full bore formal experimental protocols. We are only at the “test of concept” stage, so to apply full protocols at this stage would be a bit of “overkill”. By applying full formal protocols at this early stage there is a danger of losing signal in the noise.

However, if anything does come of our crude experimentation here, then certainly we can all put our heads together and develop an appropriate set of formal protocols and methods which adhere to established research practice.

Ie: if we detect any “signal” during our "test of concept" phase, we can focus our protocols on amplifying and extracting that signal.

Regarding Laurie Anne’s apparent hit on wiring: I think there may be more to this than you imply.

Granted there are a whole range of plausible explanations; you have quite correctly pointed out some of them. Also granted, one data point does not a Nobel Prize make; but consider that single data point in context: it may be a signal buried in a lot of noise.

For the sake of argument, consider the following:

In the experiment, I was testing the concept of me being able to CONSCIOUSLY “transmit a signal” to unknown recipients in unknown locations. I tested this by focusing my mind on a specific image during a specific window of time.

Conceptually, the underlying theory is that my brain/mind in some way acts as a signal generator and transmitter; and the brain/mind of the recipient acts as a receiver. (Notice the distinction between “brain” and “mind”; but that is another issue.)

Implicit in this theory is the hypothesis that I can consciously control what and when “a signal” is transmitted. Also implicit in the theory is the hypothesis that once a recipient is aware of a signal being transmitted, they can pick it up out of all the background noise in the ether.

What seems to have happened is that over the past few weeks while I have been mulling over the wiring problem, my “transmitter” has been UNCONSCIOUSLY sending out my ruminations as a “signal”.

Apparently, Laurie Anne picked up on that unconscious signal. (You will notice that she didn’t pick up the wiring signal during the official “transmitting time”, but sometime before.)

In that she did not pick up on the image I was consciously sending, this may imply that there are multiple transmission channels, and she tuned into one of them.

The implication of this is that our brain/mind is continuously transmitting, both conscious and unconscious thoughts, and the signals transmitted are subject to interception by appropriately receptive “receivers”.

It would be very interesting is someone had picked up on the signal I was consciously sending; that would imply multiple channel simultaneous transmission.

The list of questions the above speculation raises is obvious.

I realize that all of the above is speculation, and may be total BS. However, it is loosely consistent with other more formal research that has been conducted in this field. Until it has been formally investigated, it can neither be accepted or rejected.

So, on to “Part II”?

#12 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

~Canis, I think this is a great idea & hopefully it'll work the second time around...but who knows. All I know is I've been "like this" since I was in my early teens. It's not a guarantee everytime, but I'm learning on which thoughts are the best...and it's usually always the first one, which were the picture of wires I had in my head. So maybe subconciously (sp?) Canuck was still frazzled about having to deal with electrical issues. I'm not sure, but I just honestly said what I saw. I threw it out there, at the expense of either being ignored or chuckled at ( I do alot of chuckling at myself, so it's all good).
Either way, having a controlled environment when doing this type of experiment is a great idea and I hope we can do it again.

Hey Laurie Anne:

The one thing you don't need to do is apologize for who or what you are, or for what you experienced.

You experienced something. We are now in the process of trying to figure out what it was.

That is what scientific research is all about.

Stick with us here, and let's see where it leads.

#13 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

OK, let's try that again.

On Sunday, February 14 at 0.00 GMT, I will sit in my office and project an image for five minutes.

In order to ensure that we are all co-ordinated timewise, I have included the following link to a time converter; you can use it to find out what time 0.00 GMT on Sunday is in your location:

http://www.timeandda.../converter.html

PS: I will not be doing any wiring this weekend.

#14 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

~Saturday, Feb. 13th at 7pm is the time converted for me here in Indiana...so I'll be here trying to "see" if I can picture what you'll be comcentrating on.

...thank goodness for no more wiring :)

#15 balo

balo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

~Saturday, Feb. 13th at 7pm is the time converted for me here in Indiana...so I'll be here trying to "see" if I can picture what you'll be comcentrating on.

...thank goodness for no more wiring :devil:

I'm in the same time zone as you as well LauriAnn. I'll try and get in on it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users