In the Woods west of Boston

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

The same things going on down in my neck of the woods, especially along US Route 11. There'se more and more warehouses, car dealerships and hotels going up all the time where even as little as 5 years ago, there was open land or farms. And the ruralish area around my town isn't all that safe, either. Maybe a year, year and a half before I moved into town, town houses were starting to go up just off my old bus route. (Can't remember the name for the life of me right now, even though one of my coworkers lives further up from where I did. But then, I've also been in town for... 6 or 7 years.)

I hope his son keeps the land the way it is. I got such a peaceful vibe from the pictures you took of it.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#122 herenow

herenow

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

The same things going on down in my neck of the woods, especially along US Route 11. There'se more and more warehouses, car dealerships and hotels going up all the time where even as little as 5 years ago, there was open land or farms. And the ruralish area around my town isn't all that safe, either. Maybe a year, year and a half before I moved into town, town houses were starting to go up just off my old bus route. (Can't remember the name for the life of me right now, even though one of my coworkers lives further up from where I did. But then, I've also been in town for... 6 or 7 years.)

I hope his son keeps the land the way it is. I got such a peaceful vibe from the pictures you took of it.

Unfortunately this is happening everywhere and I don’t know that there’s much we can do about it.
BUT! I believe that the locations, even when paved over, still retain their ‘power’. A little steel, lumber and concrete is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Here’s a quick update on my woods. This is the 3rd or 4th time something like this has happened in the past year where I ‘dream’ of finding something in the woods, and the next day go out there and actually find the object:

At night before going to sleep I ‘travel’ these woods. I’ve been hiking them at least 3 times a week for 20 years and I know the trails very well. So in my mind I walk the woods and fall into a controlled dream state or something. Half awake, half sleeping/dreaming. I was doing this a couple nights ago and at one section of the trail there were old colonial buildings. In reality there’s a swamp there. So I was walking past the buildings and debated on whether or not to check them out, or to just continue my ‘virtual hike’. So I proceeded along the trail but then decided to turn around and go into one of the brick buildings. After exploring one of the buildings I resumed my ‘hike’.

The next morning, while hiking the woods on ‘this plane’, I came by that spot, remembered the night before, and stopped to look at the swamp. And I looked down and saw something poking out of the ground. It was a brick.
This is the first time I’ve seen any kind of brick out there. The land has never been built on, there’s never been a structure anywhere out there… Weird, yet satisfying!

#123 barb_s13

barb_s13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Everything paranormal, but especially the Bridgewater Triangle. When not investigating the unexplainable, I like to read, write, walk my little white dog Malcolm, garden, cook and paint.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Fascinating stuff indeed! I wonder how the brick got there and if you dug a bit if you'd find more...thanks for the update.
Apparitions are often confused with hauntings. The difference is that apparitions are "live" (intelligent consciousness) and hauntings are "recordings."- LOYD AUERBACH, interview

#124 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hey, herenow! Thanks for the update. Huh. Maybe there was a building there that no-one really knew about. *shrugs* Be interesting if there had been.

Oh. If you've been down Route 1 near Phillyish, that's what certain parts of Route 11're starting to look like here. I keep telling my coworkers we're screwing around with and mucking up Mama Nature's gift to us, and one of these days, she's gonna whup our butts good. Jmo.

Posted Image

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

#125 barb_s13

barb_s13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Everything paranormal, but especially the Bridgewater Triangle. When not investigating the unexplainable, I like to read, write, walk my little white dog Malcolm, garden, cook and paint.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi LycanGhost, I agree - and the signs are everywhere, yet most people choose to ignore them. I call it "ostrich head in the sand syndrome."

We had to fight the construction of a Dunkin' Donuts about ten years ago. They wanted to move in next door with a 24-hour drive through window! Please bear in mind, we live in a small semi-rural town off a state highway. Thanks to the combined help of our neighbors and friends, we were able to keep them away. Building on that property would have created a traffic hazard, because it would have been situated in front of a three-way intersection. To our advantage, at the last minute, they had their team re-design the blueprint and neglected to get it approved by the building inspector first, so they threw out the proposal.

They ended up building down the street near the fire station and a car dealership, which is much more appropriate.

I mean, how many DDs do you need in your town? We looked around and discovered that we had at least four others in this small New England town!

Anyway, I think it's best to try to deem certain properties "of historical value" in your town, city or county. There is a tract of land in our town that was going to be developed, but it was blocked for that very reason. They found native American artifacts when they broke the ground, and it was halted. Others in town fought this construction due to the Diamondback Terrapin - it is a threatened species of turtle here in Massachusetts.

The area is very interesting, because it is on land with water that is considered brackish - this is where the various brooks in town meet with the Atlantic. As you may know, Diamondbacks love this kind of environment.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Have a good day! 30 Odd is on tonight, yay!!
Apparitions are often confused with hauntings. The difference is that apparitions are "live" (intelligent consciousness) and hauntings are "recordings."- LOYD AUERBACH, interview

#126 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Oh heck, how many McD's does a town need? We've got 2 in town currnetly, three when they finish renevating the one down the road from where I live.

Historic building wise, we're practially just down the street from where our local Histrorical District ends and we've got... At least 10 historic/old buildings in my neighborhood. There's the Carlisle Ribbon Mill buildings, some of which hold offices, and the one litterally a few houses down houses an architectural salvage building, a pretzel place, a church and catering/event space. My house was built in the late 1800's, and there's a couple other buildings that date from around the same period.

What annoys me is that we've got rowhouses on both sides that got built without regard to property lines, so the one to the left as you're looking at the house from the street has about... 6 or 7 feet on our property, according to the deeds, and there's no record of any kind of easment for that house. The house on the other side though, has an easement for the land they're using. *sigh*

Posted Image

#127 barb_s13

barb_s13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I know, right? Wayyyyy too many McD's and Dunkies around. And I could be wrong, but unless someone pipes up and says something, unlawful or at the least, unneeded construction will keep happening. Most towns and cities have a building inspector and some sort of building committee that "upholds" the laws, however, unless you go to their meetings or read about the meetings in the paper or on your local television station, you won't know what's going on at all!

People need to be proactive. If we hadn't watched PAC-TV (for Kingston), we wouldn't have known about the Dunkies wanting to use the property next door. And due to the archaic Massachusetts laws, we had no idea it would have been legal to do so, because the property seemed residential to us. It wasn't. The people who had lived there before ran a small trucking business and had "grandfathered in" to make it a business zone.

Most people are daunted by the housing regulations - they are confusing and complicated - and for a reason. It's a pain, but it's definitely worth sorting through them so you understand what's legal and what's not.

It's worrisome. And I'm not sure if the next generation really cares all that much about preserving open space. I certainly hope so, though. :)

#128 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

OH heck, from what I've seen of the kids in middle school, they really only seem interested in who's going out with whom, who's getting punished for what, and texting up a storm. Heck, we've got a rule against cellphones in school, they break it. Though, my classmates did that too... Heck, I got written up for having a cellphone on in class, and I never had one till I got out of school, and that was a tracfone I bought myself.

Posted Image

#129 the queen

the queen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

to herenow, am looking forward to hearing your latest adventures in the woods come spring.
Fondly,the Queen
"What a long strange trip it's been" aka Grateful Dead
The West Memphis 3 Are Free!!!!!
www.wm3.org

#130 herenow

herenow

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

to herenow, am looking forward to hearing your latest adventures in the woods come spring.

Hi Queen, I hope you’re doing well.

The woods are continuing to be very active. A lot of examples of finding physical things, or dreaming things and having them happen the following day. Also a lot of asking questions and getting immediate answers.

The other day I was walking on a trail and asked ‘The Woods’ if I was on the right track with this stuff or if I’m just making stuff up and finding connections which don’t really exist. I asked for some kind of confirmation which I could understand. I walked another 30 seconds and decided to stop. I looked around, and saw there were 3 deer staring at me. (Actually one of them had his head behind a tree but he kept leaning out and looking at me, and then going behind the tree and then poking his head out again.)

I felt that was a fairly solid confirmation.

Also, over the past few months I’ve read a lot about the Native Americans here in New England and also about Shamanism and the beliefs of the ancient Romans and Greeks. All these people pretty much believed the same things, btw.

#131 barb_s13

barb_s13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

What an awesome experience! How close were the deer? I've seen some in the woods behind us from time to time, but they never come very close. I would say they stay at least 50 - 60 feet away and like you said, they hide behind the trees.

What kind of objects have you found? The only thing I've observed in our walks is that someone is cutting down random trees. This upsets me...there's lots of fallen trees they could cut and gather, so why bother the healthy, living trees?

Oh, and we saw a combination of rabbit and turkey tracks in the sand on the road just on the way to the trail. I didn't think turkeys want anything to do with rabbits, but they both led to and away from the pond, so I imagine they were looking for water. It's been so dry here in Massachusetts this year, as you well know.

Thanks for posting - can't wait to hear what you've found. I truly believe we are part of the earth and if we open our hearts and minds to it, it will speak to us; maybe even guide us, in the right direction. :Spaz:

#132 herenow

herenow

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

What an awesome experience! How close were the deer? I've seen some in the woods behind us from time to time, but they never come very close. I would say they stay at least 50 - 60 feet away and like you said, they hide behind the trees.

What kind of objects have you found? The only thing I've observed in our walks is that someone is cutting down random trees. This upsets me...there's lots of fallen trees they could cut and gather, so why bother the healthy, living trees?

Oh, and we saw a combination of rabbit and turkey tracks in the sand on the road just on the way to the trail. I didn't think turkeys want anything to do with rabbits, but they both led to and away from the pond, so I imagine they were looking for water. It's been so dry here in Massachusetts this year, as you well know.

Thanks for posting - can't wait to hear what you've found. I truly believe we are part of the earth and if we open our hearts and minds to it, it will speak to us; maybe even guide us, in the right direction. :cheerleader:

The deer were less than 10 yards from me.
Regarding things I've dreamed of and then found in the woods, I posted one story and photo earlier in this thread on Jan 17, 2011.

#133 barb_s13

barb_s13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Oh, I'm sorry - I did read the earlier thread posts - I thought you had found something new this spring. It's pretty unusual for deer to come so close, but maybe they are used to seeing humans without guns where you walk; not sure, really...I think the most unusual thing I've found in our woods was a glove dropped by one of the war reenactors that use the woods for their drill practices.

They also dropped musket papers.

Still pretty cool - I'm hoping to find an arrowhead or point someday. I plan to walk down to the path by the back of the pond that leads into several small brooks to look for them.

#134 herenow

herenow

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:47 AM

Oh, I'm sorry - I did read the earlier thread posts - I thought you had found something new this spring. It's pretty unusual for deer to come so close, but maybe they are used to seeing humans without guns where you walk; not sure, really...I think the most unusual thing I've found in our woods was a glove dropped by one of the war reenactors that use the woods for their drill practices.

They also dropped musket papers.

Still pretty cool - I'm hoping to find an arrowhead or point someday. I plan to walk down to the path by the back of the pond that leads into several small brooks to look for them.

Yeah, those 'reenactment' guys always leave a mess. Really.

There’ve been plenty of instances of finding things since that post, here’s another one from a couple months ago:

I have a ‘Mentor’ who I’ve talked about here before. She told me about a dream she had of a place which sounds like my woods (she’s never been here – she’s in a different part of the country). She described a dried stream and said there was a woman there pointing towards the stream bed saying “It is right over there, by the dirt”. So that morning I went to the spot she described in her dream, and there was a tennis ball there. And as I continued my hike there was also a tennis ball at the tree where I first found the clay Buddha amulet, and at another ‘power spot’ further on in the hike there was another tennis ball. And when I returned home from my hike that day, I went into the living room and there was a tennis ball in the middle of the floor.

No one was home when I took my hike, and none of us play tennis. I have no idea where any of those balls came from.

#135 barb_s13

barb_s13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Wow, that's crazy! I wonder what they signify...did anything major happen after you found them? I doubt that anyone else walks the woods where Malcolm and I go, except for the people who live on the property itself, from time to time. It really angers me to find trees cut down when there are tons of dead, fallen firewood to be had. We are so used to walking alone that when the lady who tends the Christmas trees comes around, my dog barks at her. He's just not used to seeing anyone on our walks.

We need to get out there earlier, though - probably around 7ish, that's when the wildlife is still around, like rabbits, turkey, fox and deer. It's been a beautiful spring - just chilly enough to need a sweater or sweatshirt. Oh, and have you seen all the little yellow-greenish worms hanging from trees everywhere? What the heck are those? I won't go out without a hat or hoodie, because you don't see them until you've walked through them - Yuck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users