My first investigation!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AnythingButNormal

AnythingButNormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Science, history, museums, and the technical aspects of investigating the paranormal.

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

Last night was my first investigation with a Paranormal Society. After leaving the house, I believed my underwear was more haunted than the house, but upon reviewing my evidence I believe I may have captured a discarnate voice and residual recording :headbang: .

I have yet to confirm whether or not the voice was caught on my co-investigators duplicate DVR, but I can say without a doubt that it is not the voice of anyone who was present last night. I'd like to share it with all of you, but I'm computer illiterate in many ways. Can someone tell me how to put the file online so it can be available?

Also, when reviewing EVP's, can anyone offer me tips or suggestions on how to recognize responses to questions? What do you listen for? I'm only asking because this is my first time out on the whole EVP thing, but you can CLEARLY hear someone whispering into the recorder, and no one was even in the room at the time. In the recording my voice can be heard three rooms over asking a question near the end. Additionally, there is also some later discussion between myself and my colleague about hearing speech in the room where the recorders were, and finally, me hearing a doorknob turn.

!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!! I am about to state what I think I heard, so if you do not wish to be biased once I finally get this thing posted, then don't read any further as I am about to state what I heard.

I distinctly hear a deep gravely voice whispering into the recorder, "I'm about to run down to the ranch for a bit." Taken in context, it's astounding. We were investigating a farmhouse in Raytown, GA. that dates from 1790 to the 1890's, and had residents as recent as 1960. With the additional commentary about the doorknob turning, I am sure that what I caught was residual. :Spaz:
Investigator/Technical Manager: South Coast Paranormal Society, Augusta, GAwww.southcoastparanormalsociety.com

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

You need to put the audio file on webspace somewhere (your choice) and provide a link to it from here.

Word of advice, don't try to compress it, if you can send it up in a high quality WAV format do so. Also be sure to include about 5 seconds before and after the actual EVP you want to post. Those of us who analyze them need that for reference.

If you went with a group, do they have webspace? The best thing would be for them to put it on their webpage as a downloadable audio file. Then you could link to it that way. Avoid using any site which provides their own player. Many of these apply compression and that would alter the actual evidence. better if each person who listenes uses their own player on their computer (Real audio, Windows Media, or whatever they are familar with)

And finally, don't try to "clean" it. That alters the data. If there is in fact something there, we will do what is needed to hear it. That is an important step. If three people hear it and come to the same conclusions then you may be on to something. If everybody has different interpretations, likely it's audo paraedolia and there really is nothing there.

So post it over in the Evidence Alley section and see what happens!

#3 AnythingButNormal

AnythingButNormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Science, history, museums, and the technical aspects of investigating the paranormal.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:43 AM

You need to put the audio file on webspace somewhere (your choice) and provide a link to it from here.

Thanks for the tips CaveRat! I'd post it, but sadly there is no need as I was able to debunk the voice as my own. I'm amazed that the echo and reverb through the building was able to capture my voice three rooms away, but I definitely learned something about EVP's that night.
Investigator/Technical Manager: South Coast Paranormal Society, Augusta, GAwww.southcoastparanormalsociety.com

#4 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:21 AM

Ehh, it's ok. It's all in learning. You are just fine tuning your EVP ear. You have to learn to listen to EVERYTHING. Not just what you think you can hear. You may have to listen to your audio a couple times. Yes it is mind numbing but sometimes its so worth it. I would rather listen a couple times and rule out anything I could. Also make sure when you are investigating make notes of everything. You may have switched positions and you were aware of it at the time but you aren't going to remember that later and it might sound like something else. Better be safe then sorry.
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users