New Audio recorder

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

I bought the H2 in February and one thing I found out right away is that it doesn't offer two microphone inputs. Is there a way to run two mics into one port and still obtain stereo tracks for spatial analysis?

But I will say the quality of the recordings are AMAZING.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#17 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:41 AM

I bought the H2 in February and one thing I found out right away is that it doesn't offer two microphone inputs. Is there a way to run two mics into one port and still obtain stereo tracks for spatial analysis?

But I will say the quality of the recordings are AMAZING.

Two ways to do that. The first requires additional equipment and expense, the second does not. But ithe second is more limiting as to versatility.

The first is the use of an external stereo mixer /preamp. You let it do most of the work. Plug any mic into it. Its line output plugs directly into the line input of the H2. This method allows for additional amplification and increased sensitivity when recording.

Second you can also simply use a Y cable with two jacks on it. That plugs into the external mic input jack, the branch jacks connect to each mic. left and right.. Note that both line in and ext. mic in are 1/8" stereo jacks, so the single jacks do allow stereo input. Either method permits spatial analysis of your EVPs..

Edited by CaveRat, 20 March 2010 - 09:43 AM.

#18 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, Jim!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#19 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:06 AM

Thanks!!!! Good to know. I've used one before but I don't have one of my own.

H2

Is this the H2 you are talking about? Just wanted to make sure I had the right one

Trish, yest that is the one I tested. One caveat to keep in mind with the H2. They use a phased microphone arrangement to give a stereo sound even with the mics close together. While the sound quality is fine, the spacing is too close to do spatial analysis. This is based on the speed of sound rather than directional characteristics. Thus I recommend that when you use the H2 you purchase external mics and place them 24 - 30" apart when you set up for EVP. Also keep in mind that while the H2 meets specs, that is ONLY when it is used in its HQ mode. It does not meet specs if run in its lower quality settings.

At the time I tested the H2, it's upgraded version the H4 was not available. This is an improved H2, and based on what I have read it too should meet or exceed specs.

More about recorders in general. As a group, they tend to be so poorly shielded, it makes them very proned to radio interference.

CaveRat: Where can I read up on these "minimum specs" of you speak?

I have done a couple reports based on tests and have the details up on my website. As a quick summary the four minimum specs are as follows:

1. Records at 96 KBPS or greater

2. Uses a 24 Bit wide A to D conversion process.

3. Records in stereo for spatial analysis and redundency.

4. Uses a non-lossy format (PCM, not CELP) The final file format should be non-lossy, WAV or BWF. MP3 or other compressed format is not acceptable, nor is it acceptable to record in a lossy format and convert the result to non-lossy. Once lost the signal is irrepairably corrupted.

These specs were arrived at in my labs using an Agilent Technologies spectrum analyzer, Tektronix oscilloscopes, Tektronix function generator, Distortion analyzer, and associated support equipment. The tests were conducted using a Fostex FR2 digital recorder operating in several different modes for comparison of signal and distortion components.

TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users