• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mH1030

mH1030

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:40 AM

When I was in 3rd-5th grade (early 1990s), the school I attended had a great library with a lot of interesting books. I remember one book in particular that I used to check out quite often... it was a book on superstitions and it had all kinds of different ones in there... here are a couple:

If you hear footsteps behind you while you're walking and no one is there, it means death is following you and you will die soon.

If you hear a pounding at your door and no one is there, you will die soon. The pounding is the sound of the undertaker pounding nails into your casket.

If a female brushes her hair in the dark while looking into a mirror, the face of her future husband will appear over her shoulder.

I know there were a lot of other superstitions in there, those were just some of the ones I remembered over the years (probably because they freaked me out, lol). I believe it had some fortune telling methods in there as well, like things having to do with tea leaves, to name one example. I remember the book had a purple cover but I can't remember the name. I know my description is pretty vague but does this sound familiar to anyone?

-G

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Not to me, maybe it will to someone else. Have you tried searching Amazon using Superstitiion as your search term?
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 mH1030

mH1030

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:10 AM

Not to me, maybe it will to someone else. Have you tried searching Amazon using Superstitiion as your search term?

i have, and i did find one book i'm thinking of ordering... it seems pretty close to what i'm looking for but i'd have to read it to be sure. i distinctly remember that the book i checked out as a child had a purple cover but the book i found on amazon does not, although it could be the same. thanks for the suggestion! :headbang:

#4 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

It sounds like a great book. If anyone does find it, please let us know title, author, etc.

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#5 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Any reason why it has to be this particular book (unless for sentimental reasons) ? I mean there are lots of books regarding this matter. Just asking.

#6 mH1030

mH1030

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Any reason why it has to be this particular book (unless for sentimental reasons) ? I mean there are lots of books regarding this matter. Just asking.

Yes, it's mostly for sentimental reasons. I am very interested in the subject in general, but it would just be nice to acquire and re-read something from my childhood (plus, the book was very good, and fairly comprehensive from what I can remember of it). I am definitely open to hearing about other book titles, though, if you have any to share!

-G

#7 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

The book from your childhood is probably out of print. It may have a new edition or not but this also means the cover will change... try getting that book you saw and see if it is close. Good luck.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#8 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Yes, it's mostly for sentimental reasons. I am very interested in the subject in general, but it would just be nice to acquire and re-read something from my childhood (plus, the book was very good, and fairly comprehensive from what I can remember of it). I am definitely open to hearing about other book titles, though, if you have any to share!

-G

Maybe Google books might have it mH. Just suggestin'

Good luck in your quest. Let us know if you find it and yeah, I totally understand about wanting it for sentimental reasons.

#9 mH1030

mH1030

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:00 AM

I may have found the book, but I'm unsure. I think the book may be entitled The Complete Book of Superstition, Prophecy, and Luck by Leonard R. N. Ashley. The book cover is different from the one I remember, however, the little bit of contents I did see on Amazon reminded me of the one I used to read. Also, another one of his books does have a purple cover, so maybe I read more than one book by him but am mixing elements of the two. Does anyone have this book? I'm just curious if it contains sections of topics I posted earlier. I am going to purchase it... if it's not the correct book, oh well, my search continues, but at least I'll have another interesting literary work to add to my book collection!

#10 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

I may have found the book, but I'm unsure. I think the book may be entitled The Complete Book of Superstition, Prophecy, and Luck by Leonard R. N. Ashley. The book cover is different from the one I remember, however, the little bit of contents I did see on Amazon reminded me of the one I used to read. Also, another one of his books does have a purple cover, so maybe I read more than one book by him but am mixing elements of the two. Does anyone have this book? I'm just curious if it contains sections of topics I posted earlier. I am going to purchase it... if it's not the correct book, oh well, my search continues, but at least I'll have another interesting literary work to add to my book collection!

No I don't have this book but I'm really happy for you mH in finding some similarity. ;)

Edited by jenjen, 01 April 2010 - 10:16 PM.

#11 mH1030

mH1030

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

thanks jenjen. ;)

#12 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:41 PM

After reading this thread all I can say is...Happy reading then!

Whatever

#13 MGH

MGH

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

When I was in 3rd-5th grade (early 1990s), the school I attended had a great library with a lot of interesting books. I remember one book in particular that I used to check out quite often... it was a book on superstitions and it had all kinds of different ones in there... here are a couple:

If you hear footsteps behind you while you're walking and no one is there, it means death is following you and you will die soon.

If you hear a pounding at your door and no one is there, you will die soon. The pounding is the sound of the undertaker pounding nails into your casket.

If a female brushes her hair in the dark while looking into a mirror, the face of her future husband will appear over her shoulder.

I know there were a lot of other superstitions in there, those were just some of the ones I remembered over the years (probably because they freaked me out, lol). I believe it had some fortune telling methods in there as well, like things having to do with tea leaves, to name one example. I remember the book had a purple cover but I can't remember the name. I know my description is pretty vague but does this sound familiar to anyone?

-G

I'm sorry I do not know the title - if it is out of print, I recommend trying Alibris.com or Abebooks.com. Good luck in finding a copy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users