• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

One piece of gear that has always intrigued me is an Air Ion Counter. Before I drop $300 with Alpha Labs (so far the best low cost meter I can find), I would like to know if anyone has really captured good corroborating data with one. Meaning, either seeing an increase in +/- in ion counts while activity is present, or at the very least indentifying high + counts at a location thereby causing feelings of dread, fear, etc. Iím ok if this can only be used to debunk a location (such as you would indicating high EMF fields), but has anyone really found this to be the case? My research shows that although high concentrations of + ions can (in theory) cause feelings of ill will, + ions will attract the same concentrations of Ė ions so . . . . . ? Iím willing to add this if anyone has really shown this to be useful. Thanks!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#2 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Flying, Guitar, Robots, Paranormal

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Good Question!

Is it useful?

This trifield information page gives good info on "ions":

http://www.trifield.com/AICabout.htm

Many "natural" sources will influence it's readings, what is "normal" for the location you are in, and what are these "natural" variables doing at the time of your investigation?

The "value" isn't clear to me, but often the "person" using the "tool" is more important than the tool itself.

Have I muddied the waters even more?
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#3 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

You calling me a tool Robot? LOL-No I agree, using these without understanding the gear, our surroundings, or fluctuations is useless. I'm always interested in value added data, but don't want to waste time or $$ if there is no need. Thanks for the reply!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#4 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

You calling me a tool Robot? LOL-No I agree, using these without understanding the gear, our surroundings, or fluctuations is useless. I'm always interested in value added data, but don't want to waste time or $$ if there is no need. Thanks for the reply!

Or it may not be useless.............................

My "real job" is writing manuals for Automation and Industrial Robots. Over the years I have seen people who had some type of "unusual understanding" of tools and machines. They are able to get "results".

A company I worked for years ago had a fully equiped machine shop, we had one employee who couldnt even build a bird house with all the tools at his disposal.

A friend of mine was in a Vietnamese concentration camp for three years. He had a friend in there who carved beautiful wooden sculptures, usining only an old nail he found. Unfortunately he eventually carved the (3) see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil monkey's and the guards threw him in a box for a week.

My only real point is "often" the person is more important than the "tool" they are using.

Edited by Robot, 13 May 2010 - 12:55 PM.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

At this point I can see no coorelation between ions and paranormal activity with the possible exception of extreme ionization causing mental /physical effects in subjects. I would also state that to obtain this type of reaction it would require high concentrations, not something that would ordinarily be possible except under laboratory or confined locations. But I will stop short of absolutely saying there is no connection, more study is needed.

I would not recommend using this for the average investigation. However some real work could be done in this area and it is true that additional research could verify such a connection with additional data.

So to answer the OP, I would not bother buying a detector unless you inended to do some research directly into this connection. In other words as a paranormal tool, no. But if you are specializing in this narrow area of researxch then go for it. Perhaps yu will be the one to prove such a connection.

#6 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

As always, sound advice Caverat. At the very least I hope to plot as much data as possible so as to one day find a correlation.

#7 ChuckMcB

ChuckMcB

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:59 AM

I've often wondered if it could be ions or something else atmospheric that gives me my "ghost sense" that's popped up on a few rare occasions but I don't really know enough about any of that to make the investment.
Paranormal Investigations: 8Last Investigation: 12-16-11Founder: Gulfview Paranormal Hernando Beach, FLEmail Us: GulfviewPI@mail.com

#8 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

I've often wondered if it could be ions or something else atmospheric that gives me my "ghost sense" that's popped up on a few rare occasions but I don't really know enough about any of that to make the investment.

Indeed! could be many things.................

#9 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Ever heard about or experinced how lously folks feel when it's dry/windy/dusty? The conventional advice is to take a shower (add humidity).

Atmospheric ions.

Edited by Old Guy, 14 May 2010 - 08:54 AM.

Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users