paradigm shift

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:33 AM

what books (or movies, even) have most altered the way you view the world around you. Which have caused you to think in a new or unconventional way?

For example: "Flatland" (book)
"12 monkeys" (movie)

and yes, those are two on my list.

#2 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:22 AM

Ooo... good question Randy, lemme get back to you on that.
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#3 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,352 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:27 AM

as for books, I have lots to list. well, maybe my imaginations runs wild.

but movie, the one that has really influenced and i would like to view the world as is: Pay It Forward
Posted Image

#4 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:36 AM

Dune, and the Art Of War...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#5 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:58 AM

American Gods, 1984, The Outsider, Down and Out in London and Paris, The Vampire Lestat, Lord of the rings (book).
Films; Labarynth, Fight Club.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#6 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:21 PM

great one randy

book: the catcher in the rye and howl (its a poem so i don't know if it counts)
movie: dead poet's society
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#7 randystreu

randystreu

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:video, paintball, theology, philosophy, political science, sci-fi, and so on, and so forth...

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:23 PM

alsie: yeah, i guess poems count. though i'm not much of a ginsburg fan myself.

#8 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:31 PM

Books: Where Two Worlds Meet, Seth Speaks

Movies: Tears of the Sun
Don't be a newt!

#9 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

Well, this is a good question!  This one is going to make me think for a bit!  It's Friday, I just finished a 40 hour work-week...who wants to think? LOL

Book:  Go Ask Alice I guess could be one, its a diary of a girl who abuses drugs.  I read it and knew I would never end up like her!  I have never abused drugs and not likely to now.

In a way my own poetry influenced me....I went through a terrible time years ago and wrote very dark, dismal poetry.  I vowed that I would never be that depresses again & I haven't.

I can't really think of a movie that influenced a change in me.  
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#10 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

Books: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ~ Hunter S. Thompson; The Bell Jar ~ Sylvia Plath, Flowers in the Attic ~ V.C Andrews; Hannibal ~ Thomas Harris

Don't know if this counts as a book, lol, but the Sandman series by Neil Gamain

Movies: Matrix (first one), Schindler's List, Joy Luck Club

Poetry: Emily D., e.e. cummings, Byron

#11 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Books....hmmmm....I soooo love 'Catcher In the Rye'....pretty much got me through my teen angst and innocence. The book told me that I'm not the only one who feels this way! (at that age)

Plus, I'm in love with Holden (the main character in the book).

Movies...I don't watch very many so nothing to say about that yet lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users