• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hippiecowboyco

hippiecowboyco

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:14 AM

I've had quite possibly the worst six months of my life recently.
Right before Christmas we recieved word that my position was cancelled (I'm a teacher, triply "highly qualified" under NCLB)). Ho Ho Ho, up yours Superintendent(who would make Maciavelli blush with shame).
Yesterday, after filing a formal grievance on Tuesday in concert with the NEA, recieved word that my position, my director's position, and our school (all At-Risk high schoolers) were all re-instated!
Still have to wait out the procedures I started, but very comnforting to know that my union came through.  I was undergoing a nervous job hunt, facing no insurance (have 2 kids), and no income for the summer- now I can relax a bit (still job hunting- why stay where it's been proven I'm not wanted?).
So, anyone else out there union?  Any teachers out there who aren't, ought to consider joining their local/state org- in this economy it makes sense...
"Itso-ye"

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

package called life :(
Posted Image

#3 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:38 PM

I'm not now, but I used to be in the UAW when I worked for GM.

I'm very pro-union. I'm in IT and I'm convinced that a large part of the reason there are no IT jobs in America anymore is because computer people saw themselves as being above unionizing.

It's almost impossible to unionize now... all the power and political pull is with the companies :(.

#4 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:16 PM

I'm not in a union, but frankly, I think Administrative Professionals (that's what they're calling us these days...lol) SHOULD be unionized!  For some reason, we, the oil that makes the machine of business run, are the bottom of the barrel, the first to be downsized and among the lowest paid in the corporate world.  Heck, I worked one place where the Summer Job mailroom kid made more than I did!  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

Unions have their uses.

Unfortunately I've always had to look out for numero uno.  I don't have enough minority blood for affirmative action to work for me, and know of no such organization for programmers.  I am a member of the ACM and the IEEE is trying to recruit me, but not even these prestigious names protect me from the chopping block.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#6 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:55 AM

My Dad worked full time for the biggest union in the Uk... so yeah, I think they're a good thing.  I'm not sure what it's like over in the US and Canada, but there certainly are unions for Administrative Professionals, they tend to be part of other unions which will cover different proffessions.  I know for deffinate that there are unions for those working in local government at least.
Oh, and if you can and you work in that type of job, try working for a union... they tend to pay what the job is worth, not the going rate which is usually based on sexist, outdated ideas.  My sister was recently looking for administritive work and the unions she looked at payed considerably more.
I'm not sure what it's like for you computer proffessionals... but remember, if you feel this way about how things are then you can bet that others do to.  All unions start small.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users