• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 ohreally?

ohreally?

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Three out of four Americans believe our planet has been warming as the result of human activity, down from the 84 percent who said so in 2007, according to survey results released today.

"Several national surveys released during the last eight months have been interpreted as showing that fewer and fewer Americans believe that climate change is real, human-caused and threatening to people," said Woods Institute Fellow Jon Krosnick, of Stanford University. "But our new survey shows just the opposite."

With funding from the National Science Foundation, Krosnick conducted the survey from June 1-7, including telephone interviews with 1,000 randomly selected adults.

More: http://www.livescien...eal-100609.html

#2 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

I just saw something on the news on how a percentage of Americans are actually believing in just the opposite. I saw that they believe the world is actually getting colder. Either way, thank you for sharing the article.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#3 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

Three out of four Americans believe our planet has been warming as the result of human activity, down from the 84 percent who said so in 2007, according to survey results released today.

"Several national surveys released during the last eight months have been interpreted as showing that fewer and fewer Americans believe that climate change is real, human-caused and threatening to people," said Woods Institute Fellow Jon Krosnick, of Stanford University. "But our new survey shows just the opposite."

With funding from the National Science Foundation, Krosnick conducted the survey from June 1-7, including telephone interviews with 1,000 randomly selected adults.

Seems to me that your post confirms what has been said all along; to paraphrase the discussions:

“people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the evidence”

and

“it is not unusual for published scientific papers to state conclusions that are at variance with the empirical data.”

To quote from your post:

1. “three out of four Americans believe that our planet is warming....”
2. “ down from 84 percent who said so in 2007....”

And:

1. “..... fewer and fewer Americans believe climate change is real.........”
2. “ But our new survey shows just the opposite.”

By my recollection when I was in about the third grade I learned that “three out of four” equates to 75 percent, and 75 percent is less than 84 percent.

Similarly, I learned that when a number gets smaller, it doesn’t show that something is really getting bigger; ie: “just the opposite”.

Seems that this “scientist” from Stanford, and the person who supplied this post, must have failed the third grade. With "scientists" like this, we should all be very afraid............

This post gives the expression “intellectually challenged” a whole new dimension.

#4 ohreally?

ohreally?

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Seems to me that your post confirms what has been said all along; to paraphrase the discussions:

“people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the evidence”

and

“it is not unusual for published scientific papers to state conclusions that are at variance with the empirical data.”

To quote from your post:

1. “three out of four Americans believe that our planet is warming....”
2. “ down from 84 percent who said so in 2007....”

And:

1. “..... fewer and fewer Americans believe climate change is real.........”
2. “ But our new survey shows just the opposite.”

By my recollection when I was in about the third grade I learned that “three out of four” equates to 75 percent, and 75 percent is less than 84 percent.

Similarly, I learned that when a number gets smaller, it doesn’t show that something is really getting bigger; ie: “just the opposite”.

Seems that this “scientist” from Stanford, and the person who supplied this post, must have failed the third grade. With "scientists" like this, we should all be very afraid............

This post gives the expression “intellectually challenged” a whole new dimension.

True people believe whatever they want, but no amount believing changes the facts that there is AGW.
Just for you canuck. You can rebutt each one of these to show us how wrong we are if you feel up to it. I'm looking forward to you expressing your opinions

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: Responses to the most common skeptical arguments on global warming http://www.grist.org...eries/skeptics/

Edited by ohreally?, 12 June 2010 - 07:59 AM.

#5 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

Much more:

"Overall, we found no decline in Americans' trust in environmental scientists," Krosnick said. "Fully 71 percent of respondents said they trust scientists a moderate amount, a lot or completely."

http://www.livescien...ng_results.html
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#6 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Seems that this “scientist” from Stanford, and the person who supplied this post, must have failed the third grade.

Are disparaging kindergarten comments like that really necessary? It make you come across as a zealot that's run out of gas in your argument.

Someone please wake me when it's time for my nap...
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#7 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am not quite sure that this belongs on the Skeptics board????

How does global warming tie in with the paranormal and skeptics?

#8 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I, also, cannot understand how Global Climate Change has anything to do with the paranormal..

trollism at work here....
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#9 ohreally?

ohreally?

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

I am not quite sure that this belongs on the Skeptics board????

How does global warming tie in with the paranormal and skeptics?

I, also, cannot understand how Global Climate Change has anything to do with the paranormal..

trollism at work here....

It doesn't tie in with the paranormal, but since there's not an off topic sub-forum this is the best place to post it.

#10 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 12 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

There is. Two actually. Real Life and The Boiling Point. If you scroll down a few boards from the Skeptics forum, you will easily find them. All non-paranormal topics go there.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#11 ohreally?

ohreally?

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

There is. Two actually. Real Life and The Boiling Point. If you scroll down a few boards from the Skeptics forum, you will easily find them. All non-paranormal topics go there.

I see now. Thanks

#12 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

maybe a moderator can move this to Real Life?
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#13 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

In a previous post, I picked “Global Warming” to illustrate a number of points which are directly relevant to Spookology; it is a useful illustration because it is both current, and most people will be familiar with it.

The points illustrated are:

1. People will believe what they want to believe; this includes both “regular people” and scientists.
2. That belief is frequently in direct defiance of the facts.
3. Scientists have a position of trust in our society; however it is not uncommon for that trust to be abused for political, career, ideological or other purposes.
4. When a lie is perpetrated in science, it is easily propagated until it becomes “truth”.
5. Once a lie becomes “truth”, it is very difficult to dislodge.
6. Once the lie is established, those that believe it will interpret any available evidence, pro or con, in favor of that lie.
7. Once a lie has become “truth”, those that dare to dispute it do so at great risk to themselves.

In this instance the original post is a prime illustration of all of these points; but specifically:

1. The quoted author has interpreted empirical data in a manner which is the complete opposite of what his own the data says. Ie: this is a direct application of point 6., above.
2. The person who posted the quote either read the quote very selectively, or really doesn’t know the difference between 75 and 84. Again, an illustration of point 6.

In the case of global warming: there are two issues: “climate change”, and “man made global warming”.

They are both separate issues; however the true believers have lumped them both together and use the evidence for one to support the other. This is one part of the abuse of the scientific process which characterises this fraud, and is another illustration of point 6.

All of this has relevance to Spookology; specifically:

A particular element of dogma entered “science” in the late 19th century: that Spookology and all associated with it is not deemed to be “real science” and “not worthy of study”.

As a consequence, this has become part of the current dogma of “science”, and the posts of many of the “cynics” and “skeptics” to this site reflect this dogma; as opposed to their providing any original thinking or commentary.

Those that would like this explained further are invited to read my previous post, and to pursue the course of study I provided there.

And yes, the original post did provide the ammunition for a couple of very easy cheap shots. My apologies.

Edited by canuck, 12 June 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

Since this discussion doesn't fit in the paranormal, I am moving this to the appropriate board. Thank you.
Posted Image

#15 Ryuu

Ryuu

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Video games and anime not as heavily as I used to be though just watch anime and play video games once in a while. And the paranormal of course.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

I usually stay away from this kind of subject

But I personally don't believe in Global Warming
"A winner is a loser who will get up and try again." - Dennis DeYoung

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users