A local legend....The Haunted House.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fly_By_Night

Fly_By_Night

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Flying, reading, and outdoor activities, such as camping, etc.<br />I'm also starting a collection of &quot;true&quot; ghost stories throughout the years.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

I hope this is ok here. It's not a famous legend by any sense, more of a local one. This is located in the small (year-round population of approx. 150) of Pony, Montana.
Posted Image

My family ties here go back 100+ years, and as a child, visiting my grandma here in the early 70's, I remember being terrified of the place. I was afraid to even walk past it. No one knew the present owners (out-of-staters), but it doesn't matter, for in that great small town tradition, it was simply called by the name of the original residents; The Old Adkins Place.

As you can see, it looks pretty sweet, and it always has (I took the photo above this past Sunday), but that's the creepy part: It always looked PERFECT!. No peeling paint, lawn immaculately groomed, not even a single dandelion or loose shingle. As kids, and even today, we were creeped out by the fact that nobody was ever there. It hadn't been lived in since the 40's (according to my uncle), and we never saw anyone taking care of the place. Word spread among the kids (and a few adults) that it must be ghosts. Kind of like Hill House in Shirley Jackson's novel: From the outside, it's looking pretty good, but inside something sinister was afoot.

This whole area (Madison County, MT), was a violent, rough and tumble gold mining region in the late 1800's, before the mines went dry by 1910, and is said to be one of the most haunted areas in the state, so this house fit right in with local lore.
As a 43 yr old adult, I know it's just an investment property/vacation home for a non-resident, and they come once or twice a year to visit and do maintenence, and they pay someone to maintain the lawn, etc.....but....
I can't walk by it today without getting a Grade-A case of the Creeps.

Such is the power of childhood myth :)
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."-Marcus Aurelius

#2 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

Interesting. Have you looked into the history of the house?

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#3 Fly_By_Night

Fly_By_Night

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Flying, reading, and outdoor activities, such as camping, etc.<br />I'm also starting a collection of &quot;true&quot; ghost stories throughout the years.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

Interesting. Have you looked into the history of the house?

Most of what I know was information passed down through the family, and is pretty vague. My Grandparents knew the Adkins family, but they're long since gone (Grandpa-1955, Grandma-1984),
and most of the original families have died out or moved away.
I can't find anything publicly available online, but my family has a history book of the area with all the details I'd need, but I haven't seen it for more than 20yrs, and I don't know who has it.
I do know it was built around the same time as my Grandparents' place, 1898.

Here's a little about the town itself:

http://ponymontana.com/aboutus.html

The photographer who took the top pic of "Main Street" would have been standing right in front of the house.

(Sorry for the long-winded answer to a simple question)
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."-Marcus Aurelius

#4 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

Hey, I don't mind, Night! And it's a gorgeous little town.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users