12 replies to this topic

#1 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:32 AM

Has anyone here considered or have gone through any kind of distance learning classes?  I am doing some research on an Assosiate of Science Degree in Psychology.  

Anyone?
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#2 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:44 AM

I don't trust courses like this, simply because I learn best face-to-face asking questions that are answered when I ask them instead of through e-mail or some televised course. I took a televised Japanese course in high school and everyone failed it. Our in-class teacher (basically just there to collect papers) ended up writing in a C for all of us because she felt sorry for us.

BB, ana
Don't be a newt!

#3 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:54 AM

Hmm... well this is one where they send the material to you.  There is no mention of videos to watch.  I think it's mostly book learning at your own pace, more or less.  Hmm.

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:55 AM

I guess am not for the distance education.
Posted Image

#5 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:42 AM

i took astronomy as a distance ed course.  i found that i really liked it and i almost always got my work done early.  another friend of mine did shakespeare and psychology as distance classes.  i've never known of anyone to have a problem with it at all!  it can be refreshing to not deal with having to drive to class or deal with boring lectures.
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#6 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:02 PM

That's kind of what I am thinking.  In class, my mind has a tendancy to wander to everything but what the professor is saying.  I tend to be able to poor over everything over and over as much as I want when not in a classroom setting.  

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,353 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:28 PM

wanderer ;D lol
Posted Image

#8 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:41 PM

lol, yes I am ;)  ADD child :)  

#9 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:45 PM

I am completing my Masters in Business Administration through an online program and I LOVE it!

I thought that I would struggle with it as I am a huge procrastinator, but I actually find that it works better for me because I can work on it when I want to, whether that is 2 in the afternoon or 2 AM.  Plus it also gives me a chance to surf around GV ;)

I like the fact that I don't have to attend some sterile classroom and I do tend to focus on it more.  My mind would fly out the window everytime my teacher opened their mouth.

So I am all for it, just make sure it is a good program (usually a good accredidation will let you know) and check with the BBB to make sure it is reputable.

And if you have any questions on psych, let me know, that is what I got my BS in.

#10 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:51 PM

Oh cool ;)  *clasps his hands*  "Excellent Smithers!

It' fascinates me, I want to be a ghost psychologist when I grow up :)   Seriously though, it is REALLY important to have a good understanding of it and to have good counseling skills.  You have to be able to explain and help the living too!  Granted, not many living people to help in a cemetery, but for those that are stuck in cemetery, I think there's some really serious needs there.

I'll start doing the research you suggested, I can see (and am impressed) that the course I am looking at includes business, mathmatics, personal finance, and english skills along with the psychology class.  It's all one package.

#11 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:52 PM

I had such great conversations with my own psychologist many years ago (yup, I needed one ;) I'm MUCH better now :) )

#12 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:56 PM

If you would like, email me a copy of the course description and I can take a look at it.

I also happen to be an Admissions Rep for a proprietary school so I am pretty well read on 2 year programs.

#13 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:59 PM

OH cool!  I'll have to send ya the info. Lemme see....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users