• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:16 PM

Many Utah Mormons have the tradition that each child receives the mother's maiden name as their middle name.

Parley Parker Pratt
John Doyle Lee
Joseph Fielding Smith

As a family historian (can trace my line back to Old King Cole of England), I say by using a standard surname convention, tracing one's genealogy becomes a lot easier.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#17 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:22 AM

I think that used to be rather common at one point across the board.  I have several ancestors who have their mother's maiden name as their middle name (Peter Byrd Gard for example).  

And I agree, as the one chosen to take over my Great Uncle's job in the near future as keeping the family history, it is a heck of a lot easier.  Not sure exactly when it stopped, some family lines have kept that up to the present day, others dropped the practice around WWI.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#18 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:27 AM

Oh yes, and while it's in my head...may I express my thanks to the Mormons for the Family Search website?  :)  I've found 6 ancestors that had somehow not made it on the family tree, and was able to confirm through the Vital Stats that they are my ancestors!  Most wonderful!  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users