#1 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,386 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

Protons, among the building blocks of atoms, are even smaller than we thought—and the unexpected discovery may alter some of the most trusted laws of physics.

All atoms are made up of nuclei orbited by electrons. The nuclei, in turn, are made of neutrons and protons, which are themselves made of particles called quarks.

For years the accepted value for the radius of a proton has been 0.8768 femtometers, where a femtometer equals one quadrillionth of a meter.

The size of a proton is an essential value in equations that make up the 60-year-old theory of quantum electrodynamics, a cornerstone of the Standard Model of particle physics. The Standard Model describes how all forces, except gravity, affect subatomic particles.

But the proton's current value is accurate only by plus or minus one percent—which isn't accurate enough for quantum electrodynamics, or QED, theory to work perfectly. So physicists have been searching for ways to refine the number.

Smaller Proton Size Revealed by Lasers

In a ten-year experiment, a team led by Randolf Pohl of the Max-Planck Institute of Quantum Optics in Garching, Germany, used a specialized particle accelerator to alter hydrogen atoms, which are each made of a single proton orbited by an electron.

For each hydrogen atom, the team replaced the atom's electron with a particle called a muon, which is 200 times more massive than an electron.

"Because the muon is so much heavier, it orbits very close to the proton, so it is sensitive to the proton's size," said team member Aldo Antognini, of the Paul-Scherrer Institute in Switzerland.

Read the complete article here.
Posted Image

#2 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Physics, Flying, Guitar, Robots, Paranormal

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

This drives home I point, I have made in several posts. There are NO laws in Physics. Nor is any Physicist been naive enough to use this term, for almost 100 years.

Nature is what it is, and will do what it will do. We mostly observe, and only fundamentally interact.

Not even the speed of light, in a vacuum is "always" consistant, yet most lay persons treat this "Usual Constant" as a "law".
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#3 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

I wish they'd slow down with the discoveries. I't getting hard for Old Guys to keep up! :kitty:
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#4 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

I wish they'd slow down with the discoveries. I't getting hard for Old Guys to keep up! :kitty:

That's what keeps you young ;)
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.(Proverbs 18:2)http://www.ghostphysics.blogspot.com./

#5 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:32 AM

I'm sorry. What was the question? :kitty:

Remember when (the proverbial) they used to tell us the brain had an unlimited capacity to learn? *NOW* they're saying it ain't so!

"ISN'T THAT NICE?"
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#6 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

I'm sorry. What was the question? :kitty:

Remember when (the proverbial) they used to tell us the brain had an unlimited capacity to learn? *NOW* they're saying it ain't so!

"ISN'T THAT NICE?"

LMAO

#7 Robot

Robot

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

P.S.

I'm not a big fan of National Geographic "Science". It will be interesting to see if this claim is actually validated.

#8 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

Can they at least tell us why there is braille on drive thru ATM machines?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#9 Moon Kiss

Moon Kiss

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Skype, Music, ect.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

You know, with the way they are discovering things, it seems to me that they are just speeding up our end. I mean, technology is good, but with how many things they discover or create within a two month period, it makes me wonder if these things are actually true, or if they are just saying it because they want people to believe that they are smarter than the average human being.

Thats just my opinion though. Nothing more.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. ~Plato

Dreams are illustrations... from the book your soul is writing about you. ~Marsha Norman

#10 Seer

Seer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:The Metaphysical. Healing, Self healing, meditation, expanding awareness.<br /><br />I run a meditation group on Wednesday evenings. <br /><br />I love helping others.<br /><br />I am a constant reader and love to learn whatever I can. <br /><br />I used to ride a Harely Sportster 1200 but just upgraded to a Softtail Nighttrain 1450. It's beautiful.

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

I can't wait to hear more about this. The earth was flat and then it was discovered it wasn't. Imagine a human making a mistake. Now it's time to adjust.... haha
I am more than my physical body.

#11 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:42 AM

Wonder when they'll discover that 'neutrons " play a bigger role.. Neurons should be made with both..But then again neutrons have no net charge where as Neurons are electrically excitable..

Protons are known to transform into neutrons through the process of electron capture (also called inverse beta decay). For free protons this process does not occur spontaneously but only when energy is supplied.

Humm..Electromagnetic....One with or without the other...Let's see where it goes..
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users