• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Iwonder

Iwonder

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:48 AM

I found this article while sufing the net.  I found this to be a Disgrace [smiley=cwm8.gif].   I mean, "What Is The World Literally Coming To?"  Please share your take on this.

Sex Change For Australian Child
BBC News
4-15-4

An Australian court has issued a landmark ruling to allow a 13-year-old child to begin sex-change procedures.

"Alex", is biologically a girl, but wishes to be considered and referred to as a male.

Brought up as a boy by his father, he opts to wear nappies to school rather than use female toilets.

It is the first time an Australian child has been given legal approval to begin hormone treatment based solely on a psychiatric assessment.

The decision has been both applauded and condemned by commentators.

Arm wrestling

The death of his father and estrangement from his mother had been formative experiences for the child, who legally can only be known as Alex, Australia's Family Court heard.

The court heard that Alex dressed in boys' clothes, and enjoyed activities and games mostly confined to boys.

He beat boys at arm wrestling and was attracted to girls.

Alex now lives as a boy with his aunt, though his legal guardian is the state welfare department - which lodged the application for treatment on his behalf.

He was assessed by a psychiatrist, who concluded he was a "bright, engaging, biologically normal 12-year-old girl who has a strong, persistent, longstanding belief and desire to live life as a male", reported the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper.

The psychiatrist reported that Alex "feels trapped in his body" and experiences depression and suicidal thoughts.

Step by step

In approving the application, the court stipulated that Alex's treatment be phased so that it does not become irreversible until he reaches 16.

The first stage of treatment will be a hormone course to suppress menstruation.

At 16, Alex will undergo irreversible testosterone treatment to develop muscle growth, a deep voice and body hair. Genital surgery will only take place at 18.

"In the present case, I have uncontroverted evidence not only that the proposed procedure is entirely consistent with Alex's wishes but also that the expert evidence as to the best interests of Alex accords with those wishes," Judge Alastair Nicholson said in his ruling.

Judge Nicholson acknowledged that Alex could face ostracism and bullying, but said steps had been taken to anticipate such risks, and that Alex could resort to self-harm if treatment was denied.

The welfare department, as legal guardian, will pay for Alex's treatment.

'Irresponsible'

Reaction to the ruling was sharply divided.

It was criticised by Nicholas Tonti-Filipini, a prominent ethicist at a Catholic institute.

"This medical treatment [is] completely unproven, even in adults," he was quoted as saying.

"To do it to a 13-year-old who is still in formation, whose body is still forming, whose sense of identity is still forming, it's just irresponsible."

But Louise Newman, a spokeswoman for the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, said it had been a sensible decision.

"Here the degree of stress is so great that going through the hormonal and bodily changes of puberty would actually be too distressing for the child to tolerate," she reportedly said.

PHASES OF TREATMENT Age 13 to 16: Oestrogen and progesterone treatment to prevent menstruation and feminisation 13 to 16: Testosterone treatment for masculinisation 18: Surgery

BBC MMIV http://news.bbc.co.u...fic/3624891.stm

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:56 AM

[smiley=cwm3.gif]
Posted Image

#3 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 08:15 AM

Whereas I'm all for sex change operations... I don't agree with a child doing it, when his/her body is still forming. There just seems to be too many dangers. What's the safest age to consider you've done all your growing? 16-18? At that age, I'd think consent is much more understandable.

Ana
Don't be a newt!

#4 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:26 AM

Too weird!

How can a teenager decide their biological sex as well as gender?  It is normal for your sexuality to go bonkers at that stage of life.  Let her/him wait until 18.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#5 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:40 AM

I don't know... most people who want to do this type of thing know at a very early age. And puberty would cause irrevocable changes in his/her body that would make the whole procedure much harder if she opts to do it at 18.

I say let her do it as long has she's gone through the necessary psychological evaluations - I assume she's done that. It's her body and her choice.

#6 RCGH

RCGH

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:50 AM

no no noooo   Be happy with what god gave you.
It would be easier to rub a bobcats BAD_WORD with sandpaper than make me go up there.

#7 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:05 AM

Sometimes God needs a hand. God gave me crooked teeth, but I'm not intending to leave them crooked :).

#8 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:53 PM

It sounds like the father wanted a son and warped the child if you ask me...and how exactly does a pyschologist decide that a girl should have been a boy at the age, heck I'd have loved to get my without the all female changes too and at 12 or 13 its already started more than likely anyway.  Big deal that she can beat boys at arm wrestling my cousin does it too, makes lots of money at the bars off of it to boot
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#9 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:24 PM

Sometimes God needs a hand. Oh heck. That just made my day. Thanks for the laugh Paul.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

#10 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,359 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:41 AM

God! who me? :)
Posted Image

#11 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

Usually I would say go for sex changes, but that's mainly because most governments have a rule that you have to be an adult before you can start the treatment.
How anyone before puberty can decide something like that I don't know.  I mean- sure it seems like the right solution if you've been brought up as a boy and actually are lesbian, but come off it! how can she have experienced what she needs to by now?  13 does seem to be too much, she should wait untill she's older, just a little bit!

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#12 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:32 PM

Melliot-  STOP THAT!  We're of the same opinion on this one and it's very diconcerting!  Either I'm becoming more like you or you're becoming more like me!   :o I think it's the latter!
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#13 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:43 PM

No, sorry, I just know that with something like this, age is the best way to go... I can't help it!
I mean, its not 'till recently that I've even thought about sex change- and I'm almost over puberty so anyone pre-puberty just can't have a clue! (joke).

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#14 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:50 PM

You mean that living a certain amount of time actually gives a person wisdom?  I've been berated by 20 somethings who insist that that premise is erroneous.  
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#15 anasuya

anasuya

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

I don't agree that age= wisdom or understanding. I was 11 when I decided to become Pagan. Had my parents stopped me because they believed I couldn't make such choices for myself at an early age... I wouldn't be the person I am today and, quite frankly, I love me. lol. My only concern with a young person having a sex change is physiologically, not psychologically.

BB, Ana
Don't be a newt!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users