• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

I found this while looking for a shock mount for my PCM-M10...

http://www.soundprof...?item=SP-DRSM-2

It might be a bit on the pricey side, however, I think that it would prove invaluable in killing all case noise. Today's more sensitive linear PCM recorders are very susceptible to case handling noise and should remain stationary during recording. However when exploring supposed haunted locales, we do not always have the luxury of stationary recording. This solution looks like it would work in may different scenarios. If you have ever held and h2 or similar recorder while walking with the gain turned up, you know how tortuous it can be to listen to the audio later. As the case is handled, every tap, bump, and finger slide is picked up at ear-splitting levels. Case handling noise is also a culprit for false positive evp's. Just brushing the case of the recorder can generate sounds that sound like muffled voices. The less contact the case has with your hand, the better. You do not have to spend a fortune, either. You can make a similar device out of pegs and rubber bands, and in doing so, add another facet of integrity to your audio data.

regards,
Andy
Posted Image

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

I can support the use of any form of damping device including its use when a mic / recorder is stationary. Sounds are often transfrered directly through otherwise solid objects, for instance vibrations from a truck outside can come through the walls and structure of a building.

I will still dispute the one statement that However when exploring supposed haunted locales, we do not always have the luxury of stationary recording.

I would ontend that if this is the case the protocols regarding the session need reworked to where it becomes possible to keep the equipment stationary. The suspension of the recorder, while lowering some extraneous noise sources cannot eliminate all of them. You stil have those generated by the person themselves, clothing sounds, stomach noises, creaky floors, air movement, in some cases where extreme gain is used with quality equipment, even the person's own heartbeat can be detected. No form of suspension can do anything to minimize there types of sounds. Thus I stand by the recommendation that the area where a recording is being done should remain unoccupied (except if communication is being attempted.) The recorder should be several feet minimum from ANY person while recording is being done.

#3 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

I agree, but in the cases of walking tours and such, some is better than none, lol. My particular case in point was a 4 hour walking investigation of the Queen Mary. I did get 1 anomalous evp, but wading through the bumps and brushes of carrying the h2 was torture to get to it. It will definitely wake you up if you are drowsy during audio review.

Andy
Posted Image

#4 coredump

coredump

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

Another thing you might consider is an external microphone. I purchased one for my recorder and I either clip the mic to my camcorder light bracket or to my clothing.

I also made my own "Dead Cat" to fit on the recorder or external mic to eleiminate any wind noise.

#5 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:40 AM

Only problem with external mic's is I doubt I will be able to get the same performance as with the Sony PCM-M10 on internals (Well, certainly not cheaply anyway). The M10 is reported to be using the Primo EM-172 capsule on internals with self noise of about 14db. If using the zoom or other small recorder I certainly agree, external condensers are a good option.

Ultimately I want to feed a pair of R0de Nt-1a's (approx 5db self noise) in a 120 degree pattern but that setup will certainly be anything but simple or mobile.
Posted Image

#6 MikeR

MikeR

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:47 AM

Make some type of wrist band with elastic. This would get rid of the finger movement and the handling of the case. Not not going to get rid of everything though, but I think that would help.

Just a thought

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:44 AM

Any shock mount would eliminate some external noise. However there is no way to prevent other types such as shuffling feet, clothing brushing together, air movement, etc. Sorry, for EVP work there is no acceptable way it can be done while being carried around. Stationary is required, preferably some distance from any people in the area.

#8 boatlesspirate

boatlesspirate

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

Any shock mount would eliminate some external noise. However there is no way to prevent other types such as shuffling feet, clothing brushing together, air movement, etc. Sorry, for EVP work there is no acceptable way it can be done while being carried around. Stationary is required, preferably some distance from any people in the area.

I cannot agree more CaveRat. Put the recorder down.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users