• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:05 AM

Sorry I haven't been posting much but we are dotting the i's and crossing the t's on our contract for our NEW HOME!!!!!  It is a 100 year old Victorian house.  It has 5 bedrooms on the upper level, a sitting room, living room, dining room, breakfast room, kitchen and foyer on main level and a cellar type basement.  All the windows have inside shutters, and there is another turrent in the right side of the house, but not as big as the front one.  There is an orchard to the left side of the house and an oversized 2 car garage (too modern for the house in my opinion) with fruit trees and grapevines (in the heart of Missouri wine country) and a patio with side and overhead trellis with grapevines growing up and overhead.  The picture has TONS of ivy on the house, but it no longer has all that it's been cut WAY back, but I like this picture better than the real eastate photos and mine haven't made it to be developed yet.  The whole street has historic homes (that are amazingly well cared for)and at the end of the street is historic downtown with all the old buildings right on the river front, it's like stepping back in time.  Ironically this old house is in better shape than alot of newer homes, they really took care of it.

I am in awe that at such an early stage of my life, I have exceeded any and all of my dreams for the future, with a wonderful husband, 3 great kids, great friends (like all of you) and now my dream home, it REALLY doesn't seem real.  Sometimes I'm afraid I'll wake up and it'll all be gone.  I had a very hard first 20 or so years of life, but every second was worth it.

Hey, also I don't particularly like the trim colors on the house, any ideas of what you think will look good?

lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:30 AM

100 year home! hhmmmmmmm so that means you can have a good HAUNTING time! It looks just beautiful buddy! ALL THE BEST!

DREAM BIG
Posted Image

#3 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:15 AM

oh my stars how beautiful is that! Congrats!
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#4 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:42 AM

fantastic old house, imackey!  does it come with ghosts, too??
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#5 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:51 AM

Hmm...  No ghost to my knowledge, I sure didn't feel anything, but I was completely in awe with the house, I felt like a nosey little kid opening every closet and cabinet, but I really love the pantry, those old homes have big pantries (my current pantry is a closet,hehe that one is a small room).  The really nice thing is that this house's morgage is only $30,000 more than our current one and believe me our current home is nothing at all to be impressed with(looks like every other newer home), but it sits on 15+ wooded acres, the new house is about an acre.  
 We weren't even looking at buying too hard, just kind-of seeing what was out there.  We have out grown our current home and were planning to build on to it, but when we saw all the personality this house had we had to call the realitor and here we are, about ready to own it!  I'm going to miss our resident spirit, David, and my job, but I think I can occupy my time quite well in this house!

#6 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:00 AM

LMackey that is soooo exciting! I am so happy for you. I moved to my current house almost two years ago and I felt the same enthuisiasm you are feeling now. My house was built in 1930 and has the same kind of "character" things you describe, but the house is a much different style. It is kind of english country, stone and shingles. That feeling is just priceless!

That is such a cool house! I hope you enjoy it for many many years to come. Congratulations a million times over!
[smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif]
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#7 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:10 AM

Bridget--  I have seen a picture of just the window of your home on an earlier post and felt a twinge of jelousy!  I know it has to be absolutely gorgeous if I fell in love with just a window, hehe!  I have always loved those older homes!  Ya know those homes, you have to slow down and all you can mutter is "WOW!"  It doesn't seem real that we are sooooo darn close to owning one!  The only way we won't get it is if someone jumps ahead of us and offers more.  We are willing to go to the asking price, but if we can bring it down a bit all the better.  It all happened so darn fast!

#8 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:41 AM

lMackey, i just love to talk about the experience of buying our house. We were looking for something on a bit of land in the country. Well properties with a lot of land were dumps, and the cool houses were on smaller lots. After hunting around for quite some time, i stumbled upon this place. It is on three acres. Well my husband was not happy with that amount of land, he wanted more like 10. But i coerced him into going to look at it.

When we got here we almost fainted! We wanted to place an offer before even stepping into the house. We said "oh my gosh, how much more can we offer." We went inside and then went directly to the realtors ofice and put an offer on it for $5000 more than the asking price.

Well the sellers didn't like the fact that we put a contigency contract on to sell our current house, so i came up with the idea to sell our house in 14 days instead of 30 days. I knew we would sell it, it was a HOT market in metro D.C.

Well, I sold the house in 2 days for $6000 more than asking price, and $20,000 more than the new house. Whooppie! That was sweet! Oh and did I mention we sold a 900sf rambler on 1/8 acre and now are in a 3000 sf house on 3 acres. Life is good.

After settlement on the new place I cried my eyes out with joy.

I really really hope you get the house! Keep us posted!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#9 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:45 AM

LMackey I was just reading this from you on the spiritography board:

"The people who are currently living there have been there for 19 years and have it decorated REALLY nice, but when we move in, it will take YEARS to get it decorated where it will look 1/2 as nice as it does now.  We'll be lucky to fit all our current furniture into one room LOL. "

Well that made me laugh! We brought our furniture from our old house and were disgraced at how bad it looked. So we went out and bought all new furniture and went into debt on our home equity loan, even though we made a profit on the old house LOL. Our old living room couch now sits in the garage, haha!  Oh and the rugs we had to buy for the whole house, all wood floors, OH mY!

#10 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:31 PM

WONDERFUL!  Good for you IMACKEY!!  

Now, exactly where do you live 'cuz, like, spring break is coming up and I need a cool place to go visit!!! ;D

Just kidding! ;)
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#11 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:49 PM

Bridget--  i actually was in tears the other night thinking about our current furniture in this house.  My bedroom set goes (replica victorian) but we have "modern" furinture that really won't go in this house.  We are tearing up the carpet in the new house and putting in wood floors with the large rugs.  what a pain, but exciting all the same!

#12 TIFFANYJEAN

TIFFANYJEAN

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 08:51 AM

LOVE YOUR NEW HOUSE!!!i have a suggestion for colors....in key west they have a lot of these victorian style houses, and the colors are very bright and cheery...here's a link for you, for the southermost hotel..

http://www.sell.com/2H1ZT

good luck to you and i am soooo jealous!!!!! ;) ;D
Tiffany:O)

#13 mnemosyne

mnemosyne

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 01:32 PM

THAT HOUSE IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.Friedrich Nietzsche

#14 Ravenwood

Ravenwood

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 03:03 PM

Great house.try black trim.It should look great against the brick.

#15 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:07 PM

well, how about the LIVER COLOUR! Well, am not too sure what the colour is, but that reddish purple.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users