• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dman

Dman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hello all you ghost hunters out there

I just started a new group, and im trying to get Permission for a few site in my area. I sent off letters to the places i would like to investigate. but have not got any response back, i also wanted to do to some investigations on few historical sites owned by the State Parks who would i talk to or send a letter too.

Some feed back would be great. if you have any ideas or tips let me know

Thanks
Dman :ghost:

#2 Oiche

Oiche

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:way too many to mention, but to paraphrase:<br />Animals<br />Photography<br />Literature<br />writing<br />Paranormal research<br />Psychology<br />Sociology<br />Anthropology<br />Travel<br />Yoga<br />Cooking

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hi, Dman, you may want to avoid any reference to ghosts in your letters with historical sites just say you're a history buff or art student and you'd like the opportunity to photograph at dusk
Posted ImageThank you for not feeding the trolls

#3 ChuckMcB

ChuckMcB

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

That is the most difficult thing to do in the world of paranormal research I find. One of the more promissing locations in my area is actually patrolled nightly by police to keep out would-be ghost hunters. I have been considering the state park angle myself, looking for places that allow camping. You can always say you were looking for a place to go to the bathroom and got lost if they frown upon people wandering around at night. You're going to feel like a criminal sometimes but unless you have a tv show, honesty will often get you nowhere.

Other than that you are stuck with public graveyards and the like. I felt like I was slumming it doing that but that's actually where I got my best evidence to date. One more thing I do is try and make sure everyone I know is aware of my hobby in case they should ever need me. I actually just got a call tonight out of the blue from someone I hadn't spoken to in months, it seems a friend of his may have moved into a haunted house. I'm the first one they thought to call.
Paranormal Investigations: 8Last Investigation: 12-16-11Founder: Gulfview Paranormal Hernando Beach, FLEmail Us: GulfviewPI@mail.com

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:05 AM

Don't bother with letters. Plan on meeting owners in person. That gives them a chance to size you up. After all, you are asking them to trust you with access to their location.

Regarding parks, you will need to get some experience. When I got access to a national park that was one of the main requirements they had. Then show them you are serious. What convinced the NPS that I was was my offer to pay all expenses, overtime for the ranger who also had to be present plus any other costs of the investigation. FYI it cost me $300 for 6 hours. But I got in, legally.

And of course it goes without saying you need to look and act profesional. It is not easy at first, but once you establish yourself you can get in places most people only dream about.

#5 TheGRIMSociety

TheGRIMSociety

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:35 AM

Like Caverat, we've found that in-person meetings are the way to go.

Another option is to approach the situation as a photographer would. Most National Parks will let you take still images during the day without issue, but as soon as you move out of areas open to the public or want access before or after the park's posted hours, you'll probably need a permit.

The rules are different for every park, but our state parks operate under the same basic guidelines, as do our county and city parks. Permits can be as little as $50 or as much as $600, depending on the location, and they might require you to pay for staff to be on hand. Another common requirement in our area is liability insurance, usually naming the City/County/State as an additional insured.

Finally, there are many venues that you can just flat-out rent. For a set fee, the property is yours for x number of hours- not the most inexpensive route, but effective for gaining access.

As Caverat said, there is nothing more important than projecting a professional appearance and making the proper contacts.

#6 Dman

Dman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Like Caverat, we've found that in-person meetings are the way to go.

Another option is to approach the situation as a photographer would. Most National Parks will let you take still images during the day without issue, but as soon as you move out of areas open to the public or want access before or after the park's posted hours, you'll probably need a permit.

The rules are different for every park, but our state parks operate under the same basic guidelines, as do our county and city parks. Permits can be as little as $50 or as much as $600, depending on the location, and they might require you to pay for staff to be on hand. Another common requirement in our area is liability insurance, usually naming the City/County/State as an additional insured.

Finally, there are many venues that you can just flat-out rent. For a set fee, the property is yours for x number of hours- not the most inexpensive route, but effective for gaining access.

As Caverat said, there is nothing more important than projecting a professional appearance and making the proper contacts.

Thanks for all the Info.

Dman :ghost:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users