13 replies to this topic

#1 Jhangles

Jhangles

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering how many of you are really outgoing when you are out and about?  Do you often start conversations with strangers?  And if so, what are some of the things you say to start a conversation?  I know it's a weird question, but I was curious..

-Beau  ;D
Killing never solves anything~ But it keeps people out of your hair while you think about what to do...

#2 Paul_G

Paul_G

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:46 PM

I talk to strangers when I need to or when theres something cool happening and I wanna comment on it, but I'm not one of those guys whos like, standing at a urinal and always feels the need to start a conversation with the guys standing at the other urinals. Whats up with that anyway?

So are you talking about picking someone up or just talking to talk? Both times, what you say depends on the situation.

#3 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 01:27 PM

i'm totally, totally shy.  i don't enjoy talking to strangers, and it takes a long time for me to warm up to new people that i see every day.  i don't even like to be looked at on the subway -- i would rather avoid uninitiated or unnecessary contact with most people.

however, in the right place (art gallery, cool bar, out shopping) i'm certainly not shy about interacting or talking to people that look interesting or knowledgable.

OG
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#4 Brandon

Brandon

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:13 PM

Im also very shy and it takes me a while to new people.  

#5 hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 04:17 PM

Well, I at the other end of the spectrum.  I can engage almost anyone if I'm in the mood.  Usually I am! ;D  I have the gift of gab.  But strangely it's  usually the other person who engages me into a conversation.  I guess I look friendly or  pathetic.   ;D
Bubbles are proof that ghosts exist.This person still under construction.

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:00 PM

okay, for me mostly I need a warm up time, but at times I am charged! This happens when I am on business mind ;D But usually even with my closest associates, I need warm up. Thats just me ;)
Posted Image

#7 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:01 PM

okay, okay, I am not shy, but I need time ;)
Posted Image

#8 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 03:04 AM

my limit to making conversation with strangers is either directly work related and I hate having to call an abstractor I don't already know especially when I have to ream them out...or if in a LOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG line at the store.  I don't even feel comfortable calling the other mom's for my Girl Scout troop, to start the year when I have to call everyone at once I get so sick to my stomache its unreal
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#9 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 13 December 2003 - 05:09 AM

I primarily encourage my kids to talk to strangers, usually to ask them for candy or money!  LOL

[move][glow=blue,2,300]KIDDING[/glow][/move]

No but seriously, I am outgoing but it all depends on what the situation is and what kind of mood I am in! [smiley=cwm9.gif]
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 06:22 AM

For me I tend to be reserved (don't mean to be)when I am alone out and about (one time I was stopped and accused of shoplifting--I definately was not, but the security guy said I had a scared look to me..eyes looking down, shuffling my feet, etc..)unless I am around certain people, I dunno, but certain people really open me up.  I can be a wallflower one day and the life of the party the next, just kind of depends on who I am with that day/time.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#11 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:54 AM

I myself need to be in the mood.  I am careful and if any strange feelings hit me while I am talking with someone I just end the talking.  I go on feelings when approaching others at times. ;)

#12 Kellerz

Kellerz

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:23 AM

In person i am really quiet when i first meet people. Ihate with a passion having people watch me so giving presentations at uni is a nightmare. I usually get asked by most people that ive only known a short while if i hate them... i had to sit my husbands cousin down and tell him i didn't hate him. I'm just naturally stand offish i guess. Also i don't smile all the time ... so i aparently look miserable or BAD_WORD off when im not its just my usual face lol
Hide me from me, fill these holes with eyes for mine are not mine. Hide my head and need, for i am no good, so dead in life, so much time. (Stan Rice 'Cannibal')Just call me Mrs Willard

#13 Zoombie

Zoombie

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:05 AM

poeple says I have tongue all around my neck, so that means I talk a lot ;)
Posted Image I have been hit by MoonChild

#14 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:46 AM

Hmmm...cool topic ;D

I have to really click with the person, there have been people I've just met that you know,in a tick or two, you're talking like old friends and there have been others you just
rather not be around and it shows.

Normally, I prefer to study the person first, I don't do small talk, I'm not a rutabaga, so weather other than the usual fire or flood really isn't crucial to me*LOL*
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users