HAUNTED HOUSE IN HORICON, WI

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Coolhand

Coolhand

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:08 PM

I believe it was the Tellman family that was haunted in 1990 by a demonic force in Horicon. Seemed to be related to a set of bunkbeds the father brought home. I live some 40 minutes away from that house and it still holds a good deal of respect from me. I was wondering if anyone had been there or had researched it at all.
[/B]Relinquish all hope ye who enter in.[B]

#2 hairpin

hairpin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:58 PM

Hey Coolhand! I spent a little time in WI a few years back but no where near Horicon. Sounds like an interesting haunt, I'll have to look around for some info. Anyhow, welcome aboard!
You cannot use the paranormal to prove the paranormal. -Cody Polstonwww.sgha.netSouthwest Ghost Hunters Association - SHIELD Team LeaderThe 10 BIGGEST mistakes made by ghost hunters.

#3 Coolhand

Coolhand

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:01 PM

Hey Coolhand! I spent a little time in WI a few years back but no where near Horicon. Sounds like an interesting haunt, I'll have to look around for some info. Anyhow, welcome aboard!

Thanks for having me. :)
[/B]Relinquish all hope ye who enter in.[B]

#4 MELLY

MELLY

Loves Firemen!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Interests:Reading, gardening, my daughters and grandchildren, travel. I collect dolls, first edition signed novels, and love architectual salvage!

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:21 AM

Welcome Coolhand! Can you tell us any more details? Haunted bunkbeds - hmmm..that'll give a kid nightmares for life. What part of the state is Horicon in?
Religious people fear going to hell. Spiritual people have already been there.

#5 Goddess

Goddess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

Another one of my favorite haunts.
Horicon Wisconsin in the middle of the state. This was a popular story in the 1980's around the same time the Myrtle Plantation got it's rep. Matter of factly I recall the 80's to be the most of hauntings in history since I've been alive which was in 81. :lol:

Let's bring this topic back up because I have new evidence of this story.

#6 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

The haunting of the house on Larrabee St. was/is rumored to be a fraud on the part of the family as they were having financial difficulties. However, the family appeared to be good, solid, hard-working people not prone to exaggeration. They kept the haunting a secret to most except the police and their pastor. So, there is documentation of their experiencing a haunting by two reputable sources, but these people were not the kind to run around telling everyone about their ghost. In fact, once the story hit the media, they went into hiding to avoid being hassled. All of this leads me to believe that they were experiencing something.

The family were terrorized for several months by an evil presence that acted much like a poltergiest. It would disturb the children (causing the children to be constantly sick - the little boy would see the ghost in his bedroom), it would play tricks with paintbrushes, a radio, thermos, snow blower, suitcase and various other items, blood supposedly seeped from the walls, objects were thrown, voices and noises heard and the garage was seen to be engulfed in flames by the father (when it was not on fire), etc. The father got so fed up with it all that he confronted the entity. Shortly thereafter, the mother took her kids (the father was at work) and fled the house in terror.

It was a newer house (built in the early 80's, I believe), but who knows what the land held, there. Wisconsin has a long history of Indian inhabitants and, no doubt, at some point in history, Indians travelled or settled in the area. And, who knows what dwellings or happenings occured on the land after the Indians moved from it. So, the land may be haunted. However, no other family in that sub-division reported hauntings (that I've heard of, anyhow) and few knew of the rumors of the house until the family fled. The bunk-bed was tagged as causing the haunting and was promptly destroyed at a land fill.

This was a huge story in the late 80's and once the media got a hold of it, I think several things were blown out of proportion. It was featured on Unsolved Mysteries, several news stations and nation-wide shows.

I'm not sure what to think about this. I doubt the family made it all up as they seemed to be good and honest people, but I do think that the actual haunting may have been blown out of proportion, most likely by the media or, perhaps, by an emotionally frazzled family truly experiencing a haunting but eventually being so worn out that they started imagining more things going on that weren't. That's understandable. These people were under so much stress for so long and the stress of it caused severe emotional trauma on them all (staying up night after night with sick children, working, dealing with frightening paranormal activity...enough to make anyone go a little bit nuts). If someone is terrified of a ghost, the mind can start playing tricks on the person making it difficult to perceive what is the real haunting and what is imagination. I can understand that completely and am not accusing the family of anything other than experiencing a haunting of some sort and becoming so emotionally distraught that it basically ruined their lives for a while.

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 31 March 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#7 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the very informative post Viv. I was sitting reading it and think "I never heard of this." until I got to the part about he Bunk bed. Then I was hit by a memory. I saw a program about this haunting years ago. I can't even recall how long it's been. But I remember the bunk bed, and they showed it getting destroyed. Wow! Was there a made for T.V. movie about this???
http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#8 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hi DukeofBoogie,

I remember that same show you mentioned. The family evidently did not want to sell the bunk bed (because they didn't want the haunting to "go" to someone else) and so they had it destroyed and put in a landfill. Very interesting, indeed.

Hmm...I don't think there was ever a movie made about this one. But, it would sure make a good movie. Just seeing re-enactments of the haunting (on Unsolved Mysteries) gave me the willies. I still have a fear of clock radios because of it. :ghost:

Viv

#9 Goddess

Goddess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

Not to burst either of your bubbles but alot of that information you gave was false. Have you read the book Haunted America by Michael Norman and Beth Scott? Well in his book, (the last Beth Scott is deceased) he wrote a very long story on this haunting. I researched some of his facts for I was interested in it ever so deeply. Norman lives in River Falls Wisconsin not too far from myself so we did a great deal of emailing back and forth. After I conjured up information the story itself will reveal that Unsolved Mysteries and other media information is false. The bunk beds had nothing to do with it. I encourage y'all to read Haunted America. You will be surprised. :Wall:

#10 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

I've read a different book of theirs. Haunted Heartland.

I'll have to pic up Haunted America next time I'm at the book store.

And don't worry. My bubble is still intact.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 04 April 2006 - 04:24 PM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

#11 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:53 AM

Hi Goddess,

I had read Haunted America and that story, but it was long ago and I only remember certain things mentioned in that book - so, my memory of what was said in it is very hazy. Was this the account that supposedly "exposed" the family?

Anyhow, I've heard many varying accounts of this haunting and was merely regurgitating the most popular of the stories. However, I always felt the media took this one and ran with it, but that a true haunting may very well lie below the surface.

So, what are some of the facts you've gotten to set the record straight? Were the family in on it? It'd be interesting to know what you've found out as I've found it almost impossible to find much "new" information on this particular haunting. But, it is indeed quite intriguing.

BTW: Michael Norman and Beth Scott are my favorite authors regarding the paranormal. I was really saddened when I found out that Beth Scott had died several years ago. At least Norman sounds like he's still kicking :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Viv

#12 Goddess

Goddess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:58 PM

Oh yeah no problem. I didn't have time to type it out yesterday or the last time for that matter but I have a couple minutes now.

When stories are displayed on T.V. they always change a few things. I have the Unsolved Mysteries series with all the Ghost stories. I was saddened to find the Myrtles Plantation differented from Frances book as well, so when I watched the Horicon episode titled Tallman's Ghost it was based on the bunk beds and not everything else that Michael listed.

I have a ghost web-board of my own and I broke his book down in my own words as to what went on there. Basically the media flip flopped everything out of proportion. There was no blood running down the walls, or a head less snow blower making his rounds. All they had was an entity that disturbed their peace of mind. This entity only came out at night when it turned the house dark, everything went wrong. There's too much to list so to make it short, when they got the bunk beds and made a kid switch in rooms, is when the entity acted up really badly. Although it was there before the switch. As time went on it got worse and then they saw the apparation of the Evil. It only appeared twice before Debbie packed up her kids and fled the house and never again did they live in that house. They stayed with church people until they found a new place. They lost everything in the process which makes it a very believable story.

As I read this story I thought Evil on Larabee Street was a correct title for it since these things do happen, very rarely but every once in awhile that one unlucky family will inhabit the other world. As Debbie said at the end: "We were in the wrong place at the wrong time cuz no one else has these problems. It only happened there at that point." True to the word, it does happen. :ghost:

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Goddess, 05 April 2006 - 08:00 PM.

#13 Vivienne_DuBois

Vivienne_DuBois

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:18 PM

Hi Goddess,

As I was reading your post, bits and pieces of the Scott/Norman write-up on this came back to me. The version you've written about sounds much more logical than what I've been able to find. I assumed that there had to be some manner of haunting there, but wasn't quite sure on how to take the media's perspective of it.

Too, I had heard that either the family was making it up or that the family were truly victims of a haunting. From what I could gather, before reading your post, was that these people seemed hard-working, honest, good people who would have no reason to make this up. I never knew they lost so much due to the haunting, like you mentioned. So it all makes sense that these people truly did have a haunting and had nothing to gain by making it up, but not as gruesome as the media would lead us to believe.

Good research! :)

Viv

Edited by Vivienne_DuBois, 05 April 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#14 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

Great info Goddes. Thank you very much :clap:

#15 Goddess

Goddess

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hey thanks for those tid bits!

I drove by my haunted house today and saw the same old family living there peacefully as they say. I wrote them a couple years ago and asked them if anything "strange" ever happens there. They said no and at first thought I was a prankster. As we chatted we un-nerved and revealed that house only inhibited hauntings while we possessed it. Well today there were two cars sitting in the driveway and my heart sank. Some people just get it better then others.

:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users