Health and Life Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

It went really well... My head and neck pain was down to a 2-3/10 as opposed to the CONSTANT 8-9/10, but I was still taking my Opana (so I wouldn't withdrawl as I've been on HEAVY pain meds every four hour since 2006) so I imagine once the opana and oxycontin are gone I will need the level of pain meds increased. I saw the neurosurgeon who will be doing the implantation last Tues and he said because I have like no body fat or muscle in my abdomen (it's scooped out when I lay down) that for me the pump will be visible. I go in on November 10th at 12:30 and though it's typically just day surgery they want to keep me overnight for observation... Also with the EDS the first 2 weeks post op they want me in bed (they seem to think the only reason I'm in bed is pain... but I could write them a novel on symptoms) to try and get everything healed without it all ripping out and me getting a massive infection...
So now we wait 3 weeks for surgery and I'm literally counting down the days...
My love to all... I haven't been around much because when seasons change it's really hard on me and the pressure in my head is going crazy because weather wise it can't figure out if we want snow or not)... Hopefully I will be on more once I get the pump and my pain is better controlled... Also my jewelry site is POORLY underupdated... I have to get pics of new stuff and take down the old stuff. Once again after the pump is in.
xoxoxo
Love life.

#2 crazycatwoman

crazycatwoman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

It went really well... My head and neck pain was down to a 2-3/10 as opposed to the CONSTANT 8-9/10, but I was still taking my Opana (so I wouldn't withdrawl as I've been on HEAVY pain meds every four hour since 2006) so I imagine once the opana and oxycontin are gone I will need the level of pain meds increased. I saw the neurosurgeon who will be doing the implantation last Tues and he said because I have like no body fat or muscle in my abdomen (it's scooped out when I lay down) that for me the pump will be visible. I go in on November 10th at 12:30 and though it's typically just day surgery they want to keep me overnight for observation... Also with the EDS the first 2 weeks post op they want me in bed (they seem to think the only reason I'm in bed is pain... but I could write them a novel on symptoms) to try and get everything healed without it all ripping out and me getting a massive infection...
So now we wait 3 weeks for surgery and I'm literally counting down the days...
My love to all... I haven't been around much because when seasons change it's really hard on me and the pressure in my head is going crazy because weather wise it can't figure out if we want snow or not)... Hopefully I will be on more once I get the pump and my pain is better controlled... Also my jewelry site is POORLY underupdated... I have to get pics of new stuff and take down the old stuff. Once again after the pump is in.
xoxoxo

Hope you are feeling better soon, Stellakitty

#3 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

I hope this works out for you stella! All the best to you!
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#4 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

Only 10 days to go... Please send your prayers/vibes/light a candle/etc that the real pump will be just as if not more effective as the trial was.... This could really change my life in a positive way (I'd be behaving better and nicer if I'm not in as much pain and as a result my mom will help me get Dr. Henderson approved in network so I can get the surgery I need and thus feel more like a person).
Love life.

#5 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

Howdy!
I got the pain pump as scheduled and am going in to the pain clinic today to have it bumped up again (my medication can be upped every 7-10 days). So far no real side effects other than a decreased appetite (but I'm trying to lose weight anyways). My headache is at a 6/10 as opposed to a 9/10, so it is helping some... But I've got a major spinal headache, the nsg thinks I'm leaking out around the catheter since I don't heal... I was going to ask for a couple of percocet as the h/a is keeping me up some nights. I've also noticed bad back pain again (personally I think my cord has retethered on itself).

I saw the PA at my local nsg's office yesterday and she gave a rx for a new neck brace... An Aspen Vista (they're brand new)... I finally have a neck brace that fits me and I feel HUMAN!!! I have feeling in my limbs and can move my right foot (something that has been impossible since Oct. 2006)... I actually want to walk around. As soon as I take it of everything returns (I feel about a 70% difference with the collar... Realize I will always have a chronic illness)... I was so winded just walking the few feet to my bathroom without the collar... With the collar I walked UP and DOWN the stairs.... Just reconfirms what I've been saying for four years now. My mom is hoping that Dr. Oro (my nsg here) will do the cranio-cervical fusion but I doubt it... He doesn't really do those and I don't want to be one of his first like I was for the cord detethering.... I have an appt. with Dr. Frasier Henderson in DC come May and that's who I think should be fusing my head and neck together... It's pretty much all he does. But he's out of network... Am going to call a patient advocacy group when I'm done here to help as my medicaid is only good in state and I don't get medicare because I've never worked (been disabld since age 11)

I haven't been on in a while because of recovering from the pump surgery and I also got grounded AGAIN... I've also entered into a group therapy thing for drug dependency since I have had a hard time coming off my oral pain meds. That and I got grounded (again for like the millionith time..)... Pathetic when you're 21, huh... I've been thinking of all of you though.

Love and Hugs
Lex
Love life.

#6 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

Got my pump bumped up yesterday by 45% (that's more than double how they typically increase them... They typically only go 10-20% at a time)... So I'm now recieving 40 micrograms of dilaudid in my spine and my pain is sooo much better... Seriously recommend this to anyone else with long term pain issues... They have to replace them every 7-10 years as the battery dies but I don't mind... I know I will have to have this in place the rest of my life if I want to stay off of P.O. pain meds.
Love life.

#7 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:33 AM

Got out to see a movie and have lunch yesterday with my BFF (also bought 2 sweaters from old navy to wear with my leggings)... Saw "Love and Other Drugs" and could really relate to Anne Hathaway's character (she has early on set parkinsons), with the whole feeling like damaged goods and why would any man want me. This was the first movie I've been out to see in literally years (I think the last one was "The Ruins")... I couldn't have done all that I did yesterday without this new neck brace. Seriously worshipping this brace.
Love life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users