Why Real Ghost Hunters Hate "Ghost Hunters"

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

The way I see it now is there are simply ghost hunters and there are paranormal researchers. Semantics aside, I can;t get any simpler than that.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#32 Abominable Dr. Civis!

Abominable Dr. Civis!

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy kayaking, hiking, geocaching, foreign films, suspense, cheaply-made action or slasher films, folklore, working out, keeping a myriad of friends and acquaintances, green tea, Pixies (the band), spontaneity and adventure! Oh, and ghost-hunting too of course, though I find its more like fishing.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

You know, I think we may be out there for different reasons. My friends and I have improved our equipment as well as we could. Tried to build our own Ghost Box but couldn't find the correct radio. We use a very good stereo digital voice recorder, mid-level digital cameras and digital video recorder. We have gotten very good pictures, videos and evp's that we have been very happy with. We carefully analyze the evidence we get, try to duplicate effects, take control pictures and recordings, have three professional photographers that we consult, and do our best. We haven't the money to buy the best equipment or access to said equipment. Do I understand the scientific method? Yes I do, and I also understand that there is no way any of the evidence, as convincing as it may be in many situations and less than convincing in others that I wouldn't even share, would convince a skeptic who could pick it apart for not complying to strict laboratory standards, but I am not trying to prove to the entire world of skeptics the existence of ghosts. I know they exist. I have had several experiences with them and it is for that glimpse and that experience that we continue to go out and do this. We do not fake or exaggerate our evidence but I don't expect everyone to believe me at my word on that either. I guess what I am trying to say is I do my best to get evidence to satisfy my own curiosity and if I have the money in the future I will improve my equipment. Until then I'll just keep trying to go out there and improve the way I do things with what I have.
Now with that said, I don't like the fact that since Ghosthunters, tons and tons of kids have been going out and making things a mess for those of us who have been doing it for years. I get that I probably seem hypocritical by saying that but I am specifically talking about kids trespassing and trouncing around other people's property with no respect for the feelings or the rights of the owners. I mean the ones who are loud, often smoking which ruins any evidence anyway, break and enter buildings, and actually leave garbage. Perhaps it isn't the show's fault but they seem to coincide with what I have at least perceived as a spike in this kind of behavior. Okay, that was my two-cents.
"The big brain am winning! I am the greetest! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! I must now leave Earth for no raisin! " -Chief Big Brain of Futurama

#33 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:26 PM

You know, I think we may be out there for different reasons. My friends and I have improved our equipment as well as we could. Tried to build our own Ghost Box but couldn't find the correct radio. We use a very good stereo digital voice recorder, mid-level digital cameras and digital video recorder. We have gotten very good pictures, videos and evp's that we have been very happy with. We carefully analyze the evidence we get, try to duplicate effects, take control pictures and recordings, have three professional photographers that we consult, and do our best. We haven't the money to buy the best equipment or access to said equipment. Do I understand the scientific method? Yes I do, and I also understand that there is no way any of the evidence, as convincing as it may be in many situations and less than convincing in others that I wouldn't even share, would convince a skeptic who could pick it apart for not complying to strict laboratory standards, but I am not trying to prove to the entire world of skeptics the existence of ghosts. I know they exist. I have had several experiences with them and it is for that glimpse and that experience that we continue to go out and do this. We do not fake or exaggerate our evidence but I don't expect everyone to believe me at my word on that either. I guess what I am trying to say is I do my best to get evidence to satisfy my own curiosity and if I have the money in the future I will improve my equipment. Until then I'll just keep trying to go out there and improve the way I do things with what I have.
Now with that said, I don't like the fact that since Ghosthunters, tons and tons of kids have been going out and making things a mess for those of us who have been doing it for years. I get that I probably seem hypocritical by saying that but I am specifically talking about kids trespassing and trouncing around other people's property with no respect for the feelings or the rights of the owners. I mean the ones who are loud, often smoking which ruins any evidence anyway, break and enter buildings, and actually leave garbage. Perhaps it isn't the show's fault but they seem to coincide with what I have at least perceived as a spike in this kind of behavior. Okay, that was my two-cents.

What you are evidently doing is fine both in the context of studying Spookology, and in scientific investigation in general. There is no need to apologise for your methods.

As in any scientific investigation, you start with "proof of concept"; as you accumulate data, you refine the concept, the method and the equipment. This is a sound and time tested method in all branches of science; so you are on the right track here.

Regarding the TV shows: they are entertainment, not instruction manuals; so it beats me why anyone here is wasting time discussing them.

From my viewpoint, you seem to be doing useful things. You should share some of your results here; I for one am interested in seeing what you have.

Edited by canuck, 15 May 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#34 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

The GhostHunters are making television, pure and simple.
Im sure they started TAPS with the best of intentions. I doubt they thought it would become as big of a thing as it is.
When they started out, they probably were legitimately curious. But fatre years of failed investigations, lack of evidence, sitting in cold wet houses all night long with nothing to show for it, they were contacted about doing a show. I'd be willing to bet that if the show hadn't come along, TAPS would have been left to wither on the vine.
You can only retain your enthusiasm for so long when you don't get alot of results.
People seem to hate the show because of how they do things, but again, they are making television. If they didn't have something to show, the show would end. It wuld be like a situation comedy without jokes.
That, and I'm sure jealousy plays a part as well. They do this for a living. Who wouldn't want to do that?

#35 Brad_Smith

Brad_Smith

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

I don't bear any ill will towards Ghost Hunters.

The good thing about the original show is that it presented ordinary people needing help after confronting extraordinary phenomenon -- or what they perceived as extraordinary or paranormal.

Thanks to that show, I feel that it got many people to come forward with their experiences and that it was okay for them to do so.

Plus the show re-ignited my passion for the paranormal and got me back into the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users