• 44 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:08 PM

http://www.salon.com...0/ghost_hunters

#2 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:07 PM

Great article, though I think they could have left any interview with Ron Tebo out - that guy is a flake. His site spells that out clearly.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#3 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to the paranormal,secret societies,fast cars, busty women, human behavior, reading, painting, art, magic/magick(high or low),withchcraft/wicca,candles and hot tubs. Just ask, if you are curious and want the truth, not what you want to hear.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Simply put, the SyFy "GHOST HUNTERS" series is laughable. It is more a comedy than aanythhing close to any type of aan investigation i'd be involved with. The investigations I do, on my own, I think are just as good and very less dramatic, very less. Probably I'd not get high tv ratings but I'm not an actor, like the "GH" team is made of. Fun to watch, sit back with a bowl of popcorn and a Pepsi and see the gang perform.

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Yeah I refuse to watch Ghost Hunters...too much drama.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 SuperJodi

SuperJodi

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Most "ghost hunter' type shows annoy me to no end. It seems like every little creek or movement they jump all over saying "did you see that?? did you hear that" I swear every little bump or shift they think is a ghost or an evil spirit. Never mind that it could very well just be 1000 other possible things. I just recently saw some ghost show with a friend of mine and they had a glass of ice water with a straw in it. The straw moved around and they insisted it was 'someone' moving it. They were so ready to believe that they had left their common sense at the door. When they reviewed the tape they saw that the ice had just shifted in the water and moved the straw. yeah, that was a hard one to figure out.. not.

#6 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the article. I still watch the show if I stumble across it while channel surfing. I take it with a grain of salt though and watch it just for the entertainment value.

Whatever

#7 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

I enjoy watching GH... You just have to remember to take anything on TV at face value.
Love life.

#8 DeadTrish

DeadTrish

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

I just saw this for the first time too. I couldn't agree more. I only watch to see about the places. THAT's it! There is plenty more I could say but I'll save it for another time. The time when all the hype is gone....and guess what, I'm still here.....still researching......not famous with a budget.......still helping people, still consulting.........still enjoying what I do with out ever having compromised myself or my integrity. That's when I'll say more about why real ghost hunters dislike paranormal TV shows
TrishDirector/ConsultantAfterlife Investigations: A Paranormal Research SocietyMEMENTO MORI

#9 Shadowperson

Shadowperson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:55 AM

I myself cannot stand the super mario brothers of the ghost hunting world. (Get it, they're both plumbers and one is fat and the other is skinny and they just may be doing shrooms.) The whole show from the start reaked of bull the second I watched the premier of the first episode. After a few seasons I finally stopped watching cause I could of been watching MTV and been seeing the same thing. A whole bunch of people hanging out in a baddly lit area, dramatic music and feelings. I mean, who honestly gets that mad at their tech guy for misplacing a $5 cable or forgetting to bring a certain camera that they had 10 other ones of the same kind laying in their truck? They were being told by the network no doubt to over react to everything. And if anyone has seen the South Park celebrity ghost episode, I think they said all that needs to be said of Ghost Hunters.
Posted Image

#10 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

I myself cannot stand the super mario brothers of the ghost hunting world. (Get it, they're both plumbers and one is fat and the other is skinny and they just may be doing shrooms.) The whole show from the start reaked of bull the second I watched the premier of the first episode. After a few seasons I finally stopped watching cause I could of been watching MTV and been seeing the same thing. A whole bunch of people hanging out in a baddly lit area, dramatic music and feelings. I mean, who honestly gets that mad at their tech guy for misplacing a $5 cable or forgetting to bring a certain camera that they had 10 other ones of the same kind laying in their truck? They were being told by the network no doubt to over react to everything. And if anyone has seen the South Park celebrity ghost episode, I think they said all that needs to be said of Ghost Hunters.

Not to really "defend" the GH team or anything because they have indeed done some lameo "reality show" stuff in the past... but the last 3 seasons or so have been MUCH better. No more drama, and they are much more open about what it is that they are actually doing.

I don't believe they fake evidence, but they do make a bigger deal out of some of their "findings" than necessary. I feel that it could be a decent show if they spent more time debunking and less time "OMG GHOST"ing.
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#11 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

I only watch these Ghost TV shows when I need a laugh. They do show one good thing though.... How NOT to do an investigation!

#12 mastermind73

mastermind73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

I only watch these Ghost TV shows when I need a laugh. They do show one good thing though.... How NOT to do an investigation!

The only reason I watch it is to remind myself of why I believe EVPs are crap.

Oh, and to see the awesome locations that I will never have a chance to visit in person.
"If dreams are like movies, Then memories are films about ghosts.You can never escape, you can only move south down the coast.""Don't you remember when we were young, and we wanted to set the world on fire?'Cause I still am, and I still do."

#13 Shadowperson

Shadowperson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

EVP's, if done correctly, aren't crap. Most ghost shows do use them as a "OMG FREAK OUT" moment for their telivision audiences. Honestly, I've only gotten one EVP in my whole life and it wasn't much, but it told me who and what was around in the area I was investigating. But back to the topic!

Wasn't there an episode of Ghost Hunters where they got caught faking the evidence of a specter running away from the camera, and they only reason they got caught was because it was wearing a pair of Nikes?
Posted Image

#14 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

I do enjoy watching Ghost Adventures. It's just them 3 for the most part (won't watch it when they bring others in...sorry) and alot of their evidence seems pretty good. EVP's have always been hard for me to understand, but when i hear alot of theirs, I always hear something else...but thats cool.

I refuse to watch any other shows....I find I compare Ghost Adventures to them & well, I have a favorite show. I used to watch Paranormal State. I stopped watching them after they aired an episode titled "I am 6"...or something like that about a chick that was (more like wasn't) possesed by the devil. That chick was clearly faking the whole thing and the paranormal team fed into it....my respect for them plummeted from there. But this is just my own honest opinion.
I have respect for any one that can try to prove spirits exhist because it's not easy....but when the evidence is clearly fake AND still is aired on television well......
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#15 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

The only reason I watch it is to remind myself of why I believe EVPs are crap.

Oh, and to see the awesome locations that I will never have a chance to visit in person.

I can agree MOST EVPs are crap. Not all though so a blanket statement won't apply.

I have so far obtained only 7 EVPs I consider valid. Perhaps the most significant comes from a private case I was working. A voice clearly states, "Leave me alone". It is as clear as someone speaking into a recorder. It was caught using high gain amplifiers and a stereo recording system.

But there was more. At the same time a lamp was thrown from a dresser about 6 feet and smashed onto a wall above a child who was sleeping at the time. The child was the only one in the room and sesnitivity on the amplifier was sufficient you could hear her breathing as she slept so clearly she did not hoax it. (Besides, she was only 6 at the time.)

3 investigators were also downstairs along with her parents at the time. We can account for our actions, and clearly were not hoaxing it. The smashing of the lamp woke the child who ran screaming from her room. She was met by all of us who were also rushing to the room in the hall at the top of the steps. Photos and other evidence collected at the time validates the story. I was one of the investigators present so I can also attest to the validity of the story.

Clearly this goes well beyond the crappy EVPs the ghost hunter TV shows portray. Which is also why I don't watch them. One piece of evidence, an EVP by itself, or a fuzzy picture taken under questionable conditions, or an EM Field disturbance with no background baseline for comparison IS crap. But when several things come together at once as collaborating evidence it becomes much harder to discount. Too bad that never happens on TV!

Edited by CaveRat, 28 April 2011 - 07:20 PM.
typo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users