5 replies to this topic

#1 soulrunner

soulrunner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:gardening is my hobby and one of my jobs

Posted 26 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

here is a story my uncle used to tells us kids at christmas time when the whole family were on my grandparents farm.
some years ago a young couple were driving home from a christmas party and they decided to take a short cut through the fens. the roads were all dark there were no street lights and it was a star filled night but no moon. the young couple were about ten miles from their house when the car suddenly broke down. the man knew that there was a petrol station down the road and decided to set off to get some fuel. before he left he told his partner to lock the doors behind him as there was a mental instituation near by and sometimes the patients, though harmless would escape. the young woman did as she was asked and watched as he walked down the road and out of site. time passed and the young woman drifted off to sleep. suddenly she awoke to the sound of gentle tapping on the roof of the car at first she thought is was a bird but then she realised that it was late and all the birds must have already gone to roost. time went on and the gentle tapping continued and now the young woman became scared. the tapping had a rhythm to it gentle but persistant and it went on and on, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap... pause and five more taps soon an hour had passed and frightened out of her whits but unable to look the young woman began to cry. then coming down the road slowly was a police car with its lights flashing but no seirens on. it stopped about 100m away from the car and a police man got out. he produced a loud speaker and through it he told the young woman to slowly get out of the car and very slowly walk towards them but on no account look back. the woman did as she was asked not daring to look at what might be on the roof of the car, slowly she stepped forward and walked away. then when she was half way towards the police car she could take it no more and turned around. and there on the roof of the car was a mad mad and in his hand was the severed head of her boyfriend and he was banging it on the roof... the end.
i would just like to add that firstly this is just a story but if you have ever been on a quiet farm in the middle of nowhere and you are 10yrs old it is pretty scarey. and secondly my grandfather was in on the story and when my uncle came to the end of it my grandfather burst into the room banging on a tin tray. scary and now extremely funny. i would however love to hear if this story or a version of it has been spoken anywhere else.

#2 F1_Fan

F1_Fan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Formula 1<br />PS3<br />Reading<br />Model Making<br />Home Improvement<br />History<br />Wildlife

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Hi Soulrunner.

I am from the same neck of the woods and have also heard a version of this legend.

I think it is more of a national urban legend than one just related to East Anglia. I think your grandfather just adapted it, as we all do, to fit with your surroundings & hence make the tale scarier.

Ooops double post!!! Sorry no edit function.

Sorry Soulrunner I meant to say your Uncle not your grandfather.

#3 AndyCT

AndyCT

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Reading (Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy)<br />Spending time with friends and family<br />Computers<br />TV

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

It sounds like a urban legend, if im not mistaken its based on the Hook Man legend
"Evil Unchecked Grows, Evil Tolerated Poisons The Whole System" - Jawaharlal Nehru"Through Avarice, Evil Smiles; Through Insanity, It Sings" - Anonymous

#4 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:33 AM

I grew up near Seattle, WA, and heard this urban legend.

The differences:
- Sasquatch instead of escapee from sanitorium
- Tapping was from blood dripping from boyfriend, handing dead from tree above the car

It would be interesting to have a study on how this urban legend varies according to local culture and fears.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#5 soulrunner

soulrunner

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:gardening is my hobby and one of my jobs

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

hi all thanks for the replies it is defiantly just a legend and it is nice to hear that other people have heard it. i love the idea about the blood dripping from the tree :angry: maybe there is a film in it :weeee:

#6 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for sharing and I love the way your uncle and grandpa added their owns special FX at the end of the story :weeee:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users