• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 hoppip

hoppip

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:53 AM

What is everyones opinion on How George Bush is doing as our president.

#2 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:57 AM

Ok, here goes. I think that George W. is doing an awful job as president. My personal belief is that he forwarding a personal agenda of unfinished business left over by his father, at the expense of all other concerns, including but not limited to our economic downfall and a rapidly encroaching loss of civil liberties. He is a dangerous man with an ego that is out of control.

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#3 Bearman

Bearman

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 02:04 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with Wayne.  Plus I am an environmentalist (by belief and profession), and some of the things he is permitting to happen to our earth are sickening. Its just hard to stand by wand watch our resources get depleted and polluted because of greed and apathy.

#4 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 12 March 2003 - 03:18 PM

I think he is a basically good man, don't find that often among the rich & powerful.  I also think he has the burden of protecting 280,000,000 Americans from the folks who hate us (some of which we call allies).  I trust he has access to information that is not available to the public.  If he says this war is necessary to prevent another Sept. 11th, I take what he says seriously.  

No matter what anyones viewpoint is we must support the troops.  The world is full of people who would like to destroy our way of life.  We have it pretty good here in America when compared to many other countries and I for one, am not willing to give it up.  

I want my children to live free and prosper without the possibility of them needing to deal with this 10 years from now, or without them suffering in the future because of our inaction now.

If others need to "leave this plain of existance" to secure the safety of my family, I will regretfully give accent to that.  If this makes me seem selfish, or evil; I can live with that too.....
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#5 Bearman

Bearman

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:07 PM

The thing that a lot of people seem to not understand is that the war with Iraq has nothing to do with the September 11th attacks.  Sorry, but that is seriously one of my pet peeves right now.

And I would have to say if Bush does have information that says Iraq is a threat, or that there may be more attacks, it is important that he shares that information with the American people.

Also, just thought I would share a quote I heard today, that I really liked.  "Dissent is Patriotic"

#6 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:36 PM

I agree with Flyingorb's statement that we must support our troops 100%. However, we brought the actions of September 11th upon ourselves. Now before you all want to burn me at the stake, listen to what I have to say.

For decades we as a nation have allowed a foreign policy that interferes with the affairs of soveriegn nations of the world, in effect trying to remove their cultural and national identities in favor of a more Westernized model.

National defense is something I believe in, however to do this effectively, we must make our country more secure, before we can help others. Also our economic policies abroad leave a lot to be desired. We use food and medical supplies as bargaining chips with extremist nations or factions, and hope that they don't turn against us in the future, which has happened several times in the past quarter century. I feel that we have no right to send this aid overseas under the guise of humanitarian aid when our citizenry doesn't have universal access to basic medical care and we have hungry people here. Charity begins at home.

Only when we can take care of our own affairs, can we hope to efectively help other nations with theirs. This is not a statement of isolationism, just minding our own business and taking care of our own.

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

#7 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:32 PM

[quote]I agree with Flyingorb's statement that we must support our troops 100%. However, we brought the actions of September 11th upon ourselves. ]

Hmmmm...so are you saying that we are responsible for a bunch of scruffy misfits stealing several airplanes and killing the passengers aboard and crashing the planes into our buildings to murder 3000 more Americans? ???  You are definately entitled to your opinion, but it is illogical.

I might even support some of your contention, but I cannot get past "However, we brought the actions of September 11th upon ourselves"  That's hogwash...
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#8 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:40 PM

Quite to the contrary. Our foreign policy has fostered hatred among other groups towards the United States, including our overwhelming support for Israel. These policies have fostered anger so much with some extremist groups, that the same terror tactics that routinely occur within the Middle East have been perpetrated against us to great effect. Look at us now. It was not the American people that caused it directly, our apathy caused it indirectly, it is our policy makers that furthered this hatred, we as a people allowed these policies to be enacted. We are all to blame to some degree.

MRIP

Posted Image

#9 Bearman

Bearman

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:22 PM

I've gotta agree with Wayne on this one

#10 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Bearman, but i think only a few people will go along with my ideas.

MRIP

Posted Image

#11 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:36 PM

Wayne,

I agree with you and Flying Orb, our policies towards other countries especially Israel since the WWII is what brought this on, however this was also not an overnight plan, nor did the terrorists up and decide to do this after the last presidential election.  This has been a long time coming.  Which means it could've/would've happened no matter who was president.

Do I want to see friends and co-workers go off to war, NO, but do I want to have to race home hoping my children are ok because I live within a danger zone of a nuclear power station, with most of my family living in its shadow?

I think he is doing what he can to do right, no one is perfect and even with advisors they will not be right even 75% of the time, we are all human.  As to cleaning up after his father, as I told a good friend, what was George H supposed to do in Iraq when almost the entire army surrended, go in and blow up the rest of the country?  

As for the economy, a war will boost in through the roof as it always had back to the time of the Crusades where truly most of the problems began.  And for sharing information, with the public, since when has that ever occured.  During the Gulf War the person I dated was there, the Iraqis knew everything that was going on due to CNN, so please share with us and the entire world everything we plan on doing, so that the next time more people will die.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#12 susmith

susmith

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Interests:Photography, hunting, boating, camping

Posted 13 March 2003 - 04:03 AM

I agree with what Pres Bush is doing.  He is fighting terrorism.  Saddam Hussein is "Terrorism"  There was someone who defected on 60 minutes telling us Saddam indeed has weapons of mass destruction and is hiding them in subway stations underground ect.......if he doesnt have them, then why doesnt he tell us to bring 100,000 inspectors over and do a walk through of his country to see what they can find? Because he does have them and he will use them.  I believe that he would use them agains the people he hates most and that is the Jews.  He will use them against Israel and we all know what Israel has Automic Weapons. Now wouldnt that be something? I think Saddam needs to be taken out of power and should have been back in the early 90's.  Sean Penn makes me sick going over there spitting on the graves of all of the solders graves who have fought for this country! Oh I could go on and on but I will spare you all of the rigamarow!I just believe that we are doing the correct thing.
"Those who do not believe are the FIRST to be frightened when something strange occurs"

#13 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 05:43 AM

Come on Ghostvillage!  Don't be shy on wading in on this one!  I for one find the reasoning, or lack of it LOL, fascinating.  What do YOU think?

It is somewhat therapeutic..... ;)

#14 DSF

DSF

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 06:07 AM

I am curious, just how many times is Iraq going to disarm?

I think we have been more than patient with this whole thing.  Can you imagine what would happen to you if you were pulled over, the cop asked if there were any weapons in your car, you said no, the cop searched the car and found a gun.  And then to make matters worse, he asked if there were any more weapons in the car, again you said no, he goes back to look and comes up with a pipe bomb.

I think Pres Bush has every right to put his foot down.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the thought of our soldiers going to war and the possiblity that we might lose quite a few good people, but that is how this country attained it's freedom in the first place.  So we will all need to make sacrafices.

But I also agree with Wayne, the US is not blameless in this entire mess.  We have interfered with foreign policy for years, and I think one of the main reasons why is OIL.  Face it, the US needs oil, to fuel vehicles as well as the economy.  And Bush is not blameless in this either, he is an oil man, but I think he is doing the best that he can right now.  

I am curious, does anyone think that Clinton could have done more to prevent this situation?  Or do you think he did all that he could?  

I feel everyone is putting the blame on Bush for this, but this isn't something that just developed in the past 2 years.

#15 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 08:04 AM

I certainly don't hold George W. entirely responsible for this mess, Bill could have done more also. We had the opportunity to rectify the problem entirely the first time we were there. ALthough we wouldn't have had th esupport of the Arab nations had we pushed to Baghdad, they wouldn't have interfered either. The coalition that remained would have made small work of it. I was there that time, and I run the chance to go back this time. I have access to information that the general population does not have, I can't divulge classified information, but it could have been taken care of in the past, trust me.

I lost 2 very good friends on 9/11, so my passions run a little high on this subject. I don't think that all diplomatic options have been exhausted.

As far as policy at home, the Pres has done a horrendous job, especially economically. By allowing Alan Greenspan to put the brakes on the economy while we were booming. Then to have the 9/11 attacks only crippled the economy more. The homeland security measured could have been implemented before the attacks. THe govt. had information on the immenence of an attack on American soil and chose to do nothing.

Sometimes war is necessary, we just need to exhaust all other options first, and truly make sure we are prepared, and not do it half-assed like the Govt. does most other things.

MRIP

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users