• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:22 PM

Well everyone...it's been awhile since I've visited this site. I've missed seeing everyone's posts, and catching up on ghost news. I REALLY REALLY miss ghost hunting too. It's been a long time.

Well I have some news...I am quitting college. For the past 4 weeks I've been absolutely miserable here. You see...I want to be an actress more than anything in this world. And I don't want to pay money to go to college to learn about ecology and mathematics when I could be taking acting classes and learning about what I really want. I know every freshman has their "hard times"...but in my heart I feel like I belong elsewhere. I am 10000% sure this is what I want to do. People have told me that they've heard stories about regretting quitting. Well, I want to go for my dreams. I hate being tied down. And if worse comes to worse, I can always go back, or go to a community college.

This is pure craziness for me. I've been a "goodie-good" ever since I was in kindergarten. There are going to be a lot of shocked people, and a lot of disappointed people. But I am so happy with my decison. I'm kind of getting a new life. I know exactly what I'm going to do when I quit. So don't think I'm gonna be a bum living in my mom's basement!

I thought I'd share this news since this is basically life changing for me, and you all are so important to me! I'll keep you updated on everything!  ;D
"The head are the invisible ones, but not the absent ones." -Victor Hugo

#2 Rah

Rah

Junior Villager

• NMPI
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:32 PM

Good luck with your new life! Many have dreams and few ever chase them...I wish you all the best.

Our actions always cause reactions but I believe that one has to be happy with themselves first and foremost before one finds their true purpose in life.(or at least what they think their purpose is)

#3 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:36 PM

Thank you so much rah! It's great to know I have support. That's what I need the most of!

And what you put in your post- "Our actions always cause reactions but I believe that one has to be happy with themselves first and foremost before one finds their true purpose in life." That is truly inspiring to me. Really...it is...it's amazing how words can move you so much. Thank you!  ;)

#4 Rah

Rah

Junior Villager

• NMPI
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:46 PM

You are welcome ghosthunter_girl.

We are all ultimately in charge of our own destiny and I have learned that trying to always please others first often leads to regret of some sort. Take care of yourself first and everything else will fall in place in time.

#5 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:54 PM

Good Luck and many blessing Ghosthunter_girl...theres so many that never take that step in following their dream and its good to see someone who is not only following it but has planned ahead logically ;)
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#6 krcguns

krcguns

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Well....investigating ghosts and finding out what lies beyond this life of course!

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:53 AM

Good luck to you I wish you all the best and hope that you don't just reach for the stars but grab one too!  Hey!  I sure hope that when you get to be famous, you can squeeze in a visit to the village between rubbing elbows with all those other rich and famous people!  Best of luck to you! ;D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:23 PM

It's been awhile since my last post, and I thought I'd update y'all on what's been going on.

I did quit college. A LOT of people were shocked, including my mom. It took her some time to deal with it, but she's totally cool with it now. I'm living with my best friend until I can find a place of my own. I had a job interview for a nurse's assistant this past Friday at a local nursing home. (Which happens to be haunted! SCORE!)I find out later this week if I got the job. Later this winter I'm going to take Certified Nurses Assistant classes, and later on get even more training to be a higher ranking nurse. I do love helping people, so I know I'll enjoy this for awhile!

I've talked to the guy I've been seeing. We've been dating for 16 months, and I broke up with him while at college, because I was an emotional wreck. It's been a rocky...VERY rocky few weeks, but we've settled EVERYTHING and we couldn't be happier! We've been talking about our future, and so far everything looks pretty promising!

But one thing that's been a bummer...I MISS GHOST HUNTING! But I do get to go this Saturday! I'm SOOOOOO excited! Now that it's getting closer to Halloween, the atmosphere is just crying ghosthunting! I might get to take a haunted trolley ride in Atchison, KS later too. YAY!

Life is so great right now! I just wish everyone the same happiness!  ;D

#8 KarenSue1973

KarenSue1973

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, baking, sewing

Posted 05 October 2003 - 06:43 PM

If you wanted to quit college for something else I applaud you, I was in your boat a few years ago.  I am not back in college.  I wish you the best of luck.
Peace, love and happiness always!

#9 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 08:29 AM

hey ghosthunter girl!  

i applaud your decision, but i wanted to tell you from the voice of absolute experience that if you ever do decide to go back to college, you will really want to and you'll love every minute of it.

when i was a college freshman about ten years ago, i was a "goody goody" myself and felt that i was shoved into going to college because all of my friends were, too.  i was a painter, but i didn't have any concept of what i wanted to do with my life, except that it involved art.

i floundered miserably through college at the "wrong university" for three semesters and then came back to my hometown - where my destiny caught up with me three days later.

it was 1993, and i was given a graphics job by a little family tee shirt place that didn't care if i had training - i only had to be able to draw and be willing to work.  i had that job until 1999, when my boyfriend (now husband) talked me into moving to his town and going back to school.

it was the right time to go back, and i never regretted taking six years off.  

when i did go back to college, no one told me what to study or how many classes to take - i did it because i knew my passion and i wanted to have the academic recognition for it.  

ten years previous, i found all those nasty classes in algebra, environmental science, and french had nothing to do with art... but when i returned with fire in my heart and movtivation to test my abilities, i found that i expanded my horizons even more that i had ever imagined when i took non-major classes in anthropology and asian history and astronomy.  my art improved, and i met a lot of incredibly cool friends along the way.

college and all higher education has to be approached from a personal path and inner passion that no one can dictate to you - live your life along your path, ghosthunter_girl, and approach all lessons iin life, college or otherwise, on your own terms!!

OwlGoddess

** i'm going for a masters in painting next fall at an internationally famous and respected art school that i would never have had a chance to attend if i had not taken six years off to follow my own path in life!!
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#10 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 09:35 AM

Hey GHG,

Here's both sides of the coin...

I am a performer. I have been working as an acotr, Storyteller, magician, public speaker, singer, pretty much anything that'll pay...including a stint in stand up comedy and writing for others as well. I went to a small college right out of high school. FAR from a goody goody was I, but I'm getting better at it now ;). My acting teacher was a fellow named Fred Fate.... I made him show me his ID to prove it too. After my first scene in class with another actor he had me stay after. He asked me what I wanted to accomplish in theatre. I told him I wanted to act. "Nothing else? No direting, teaching, writing, stage-craft,etc.?" Nope, just act. Then he said the words that changed my life. "No one is going to hire you for a degree in this business. All they want to see is what you've done and what you can do. Study with private teachers. Take classes. Do summer stock. But if you only want to be an actor, the only thing their going to look at is what else you've done acting wise. If you only want to act, a degree in theatre isn't worth the paper it's written on."

Now....

Do I wish I had stayed in college? Not really. I even went back for three years before my Dad died. But I sure do wish I had more skills to fall back on when the work is thin. Please keep in mind that only like 3% of the Screen Actors Guild work steady. Now all that being said...

Best of luck!!!!!!!  
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#11 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 03:32 PM

Thank you Owl and Mykie! That advice is very helpful. That's cool that you went back, Owl, and enjoyed it so much. The thing about quitting college is that I can always go back if I feel that it is right. But a lot of people have told me that going back is the hardest thing to do. But everyone is different. Mykie- thank you for telling me about your experiences. I plan on trying to get more experience in community theater before I try and hit the big time...LOL...if I even try and make it that far. We'll see what happens! But thanks again for sharing your advice!  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users