• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SJP

SJP

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hi everyone, my first post here.

Just joined today after my first unexplainable (supernatural?) occurrence in my life.
Still a little freaked thinking about it.

Tomorrow it'll be exactly one year since quitting smoking (my wife kept a star chart which is still on the wall:) )

Around 1.20 pm today and only within the living room of our home a very strong smell of stale tobacco could be smelt. It lasted only 10 mins & seeing as no one in the house smokes was a bizarre thing indeed.

My wife's theory is it was a spirit smell, I was being congratulated for being a non smoker for a year now.

Bizarre, has anyone had any similar experiences?

#2 Aesalon

Aesalon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

It is possible that you may have just been 'remembering' the smell of tobacco - smell is so closely related to memory that it doesn't take much to trigger the belief that you are actually experiencing the smell. Unless you have other evidence that there may be a haunting, I would chalk this one up to the amazing human brain.

-Stephen G.

Co-founder of Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations.

Based in Omaha, NE with a chapter in Dallas /Ft. Worth, TX. FBN is primarily a paranormal research team with a focus on classical 'haunting phenomena.' 

Please visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook...NightParanormal

#3 Jack Torrance

Jack Torrance

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I too have had experiences with paranormal smells i.e. smells that appear with no point of origin, or smells linked to spirits. The one that stands out most in my mind was during my childhood whilst I spent the night at my grandparents' home. There were many paranormal occurences at their home, but there was an occasional smell of someone cooking in the middle of the night.

Typically it happened like this. Everyone would be upstairs in bed (my grandparents in their room and then my older sister and myself would have our own rooms) and usually before turning in to our own beds my sister and I would watch television late at night together.

So one night my sister went into the upstairs restroom just outside our bedrooms, a couple minutes later my sister comes back into the room and beckons me to the hall (just outside the upstairs restroom) to come have a listen. I listen carefully and and soon I'm hearing the faint sound of voices downstairs. Keeping in mind no one else is home other than our grandparents who are in the bedroom down the hall, I get a little freaked. I look at my sister she looks at me.
She says, "do you smell that?"
"Yeah, smells like cooking...like......onions?"
"No one is down there."
And I say, "It sounds as if......there are three or four people. But I can't make out what they're saying."
The voices freaked us out, it was like a discussion was being done but you couldn't make out what was being said. Like mumbling.

It wasn't just that night that we smelled that smell, it was every once in a while. Every other night we would smell cooking coming from downstairs, as if some residual entities were replaying the same moment every night. And it wasn't just me and my sister that smelled the smells, my grandmother had smelled the smells as well. She explained that often she would wake in the middle of the night, go downstairs to retrieve a beverage and would smell the distinct odor of onions, so strong it was as if someone had been cooking. These experiences no longer happen at that house, and the activity there has ceased.

Keep in mind that when having paranormal experiences it is best to look for a logical, non-paranormal explanation first. Attempt to debunk the activity. In your case, SJP, there could be a non-paranormal explanation of the smells of tobacco. You said you had previously been a smoker, maybe the smells could be coming from a heater and/or AC filter that needs to be changed. Things like that can cause strange smells and old smells to resurface. Have you looked into anything like that?

Sincerely,
Jack

#4 SJP

SJP

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the responses and insights guys.

I'm generally a logical, straightforward person and yeah, I agree there should be a logical explanation as to what happened today.

But there just isn't, and bottom line is, it prompted me to join this forum.

@ Jack Torrence, cheers mate. Cool to hear of others with similar experiences.

@ Aesalon Thing is, my wife's a non smoker, and yet she smelt it too. But I know the brain can play crazy tricks on the mind.

It's just this sense that there's some higher power that's aware of what goes on in our daily lives, is following us and in a strange way is using us as some kind of play-thing that I just can't shake off.

#5 Jack Torrance

Jack Torrance

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:49 AM

@ Jack Torrence, cheers mate. Cool to hear of others with similar experiences.

Cheers. :kitty: .

It's just this sense that there's some higher power that's aware of what goes on in our daily lives, is following us and in a strange way is using us as some kind of play-thing that I just can't shake off.

In that case it must be something paranormal.

#6 campfire

campfire

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

At my house I sometimes smell coffee. The smell is always very, very strong, but nobody here drinks coffee. It seems to come and go at random.

#7 the queen

the queen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

At my house I sometimes smell coffee. The smell is always very, very strong, but nobody here drinks coffee. It seems to come and go at random.

my husband is a chef and a friend (a cook) died suddenly. about six months after his death we started smelling all sorts of foods being cooked in the middle of the night. choc chippers; meat loaf and tacos. all of his friend's foods.

then he had another friend who was into cooking died, and a few months later we started smelling other foods. i personally think both of his friends are coming by to say hey, prepare a meal and hang out. i'm just sayin' . . . .
Fondly,the Queen
"What a long strange trip it's been" aka Grateful Dead
The West Memphis 3 Are Free!!!!!
www.wm3.org

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)