Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

I'm confused.....just when is the world ending?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

Yep, she's THE GHOST....blame it ALL on her!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Scary things....

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

Everywhere you look on the Internet today, you see references to The Rapture, which is supposed to occur on Saturday. Whether it be a Rapture party or people talking about enjoying the day because it will be "your last before The Rapture", I've seen it all today.

But I'm confused....I thought the end of the world was slated for December 21, 2012?

Or wasn't it supposed to be in 2000? (perhaps that was just the end of the electronic world?)

What about 1994....I believe there were 2 dates predicted for that year?

Who knows what to believe but I'm going to just continue about my activities as normal. If I actually believe the world was ending on Saturday, I would be sitting at the Cheesecake Factory right now indulging in a slice of every flavor of cheescake that they have!

#2 John Glendenning

John Glendenning

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

I personally dont think anything is going to happen from any Planet X, Planet Niburu, or whatever the Mayans "predicted" To me, those mayan predictions are the equivalent of Nostradamus' prophecies... so many correlations are made by some, when they still stand as coincidence to others.
Nice thread, I cant wait to hear some more input :wave:

#3 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

What really gets me is that Saturday is my birthday and they chose THAT day for the Rapture!

Mrsspookypants, the world isn't ending on Saturday...that is the day that Jesus is going to come and call the righteous to heaven. Those of us who are left will be living a nightmare exsistence for the next 53 days and THEN the world will end. At least that is according to Harold Camping, the guy who has predicted this event.

It doesn't really matter to me as I am not Christian. I will still be here come May 22nd, no matter what happens.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 pipervali

pipervali

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

One of my very good friends is getting married on Saturday. Just hope the end of the world waits until the say I Do lol

I actually read an article this week, I can't remember the source at the moment. But a family from I believe NYC, quit their jobs, packed up their lives, moved to Florida and blew all their savings and retirement money. That's how convinced they are that life as we know it will be over within days.

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

For the longest time people believed the Mayan calendar would end on 21 Dec 2012, but within the past few years there's been some doubt about some of the calculation in corresponding that calendar with the Gregorian calendar. I'm not too worried because I've seen 30+ calendars end in my lifetime (eg. every 31 Dec) and the new calendar picked up right where the old one ended.

As for the Rapture or the end of the world, Jesus told his disciples that no one knows when that day comes - not man, not angels, not even Jesus himself (Matthew 24:26). However, we have been given signs of the times so that we may know it is approaching. Go read Matthew 24 to see what lacks still.

Gordon B. Hinckley was Prophet for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints until he died. At a General Conference (eg. broadcast to all the world), President Hinckley told members to lives their lives in such a way that if the end were to come tomorrow we would be ready to meet our Creator, but to prepare to live long lives in mortality: continue to plant crops, get as much education as possible, be gainfully employed, raise families, etc. If the end comes, we should be ready; if we die before the end, we've lived a good life and are better for it.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

The guy who has informed us all of the Rapture happening tomorrow has done this before, in the 80's I think. That one didn't pan out, and I've no confidence that this one will either.

I'm just highly enjoying all my crazy facebook friends mocking this particular prediction....lol.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

I agree Vamp and I had to share this. It was posted by a friend of a friend on Facebook:

I think we should all go to Goodwill, buy a bunch of shoes, and start leaving them around town [on Saturday, May 21st] with dry ice creating fog from inside of them and clothes scattered around... Scare the [fundamentalist] Christians into thinking they got left behind.

John, I agree with you about the Mayan Calendar and the Nostradamus Prophecies!

Happy Birthday Ravenhecate. Thanks for clarifying the difference between the two. That makes more sense to me now.

Aloha, I think the one thing throwing off the Mayan Calendar is Leap Year. When you factor that in, the end of the world was supposed to happen a long time ago. I think it is good advice, though......Live your life to the fullest extent. If you spend your time worrying about the end of the world or when you are going to die, you are going to miss a huge chunk of your life!

#8 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

I looked up Harold Camping (and yes, his middle name is Egburt) on Wikipedia and this is what I found:
http://en.wikipedia..../Harold_Camping
It doesn't mention that he's predicted this before, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has.

I also read that there are people planning Rapture Parties. There's a businessman who is planning on printing out letters to be delivered to the family members of people who are taken up during the rapture. Simply amazing.

Aloha, I like your Mr. Hinkley's way of thinking. Too bad more people don't think like that!
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#9 Aesalon

Aesalon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I looked up Harold Camping (and yes, his middle name is Egburt) on Wikipedia and this is what I found:
http://en.wikipedia..../Harold_Camping
It doesn't mention that he's predicted this before, but it wouldn't surprise me if he has.

I also read that there are people planning Rapture Parties. There's a businessman who is planning on printing out letters to be delivered to the family members of people who are taken up during the rapture. Simply amazing.

Aloha, I like your Mr. Hinkley's way of thinking. Too bad more people don't think like that!

I Believe Camping's previous prediction was in 1994 - he admitted to a miscalculation on that one.
...the most telling factor here is that his Family Radio network is still soliciting 'operational donations', meaning that even HE doesn't believe that he is right.

-Stephen G.

Co-founder of Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations.

Based in Omaha, NE with a chapter in Dallas /Ft. Worth, TX. FBN is primarily a paranormal research team with a focus on classical 'haunting phenomena.' 

Please visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook...NightParanormal

#10 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

Far as I can tell, I've live thought the "end of the world" more times than I can count. Still here though. The only rapture I think I will be having is over that fudge sunday...
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#11 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

I think one of the funniest things about this "end of times" is just who exactly think they are the righteous ones. I am sure it is all subject to interpretation, of course.

I feel bad for the family that got rid of everything. I remember hearing Sherri Shepard on "The View" earlier this week talking about when she was a Jehovah's Witness, they believed the world was going to end in 1974. She closed her bank account and stopped paying bills. When the world didn't end, she was in a huge mess. She said it took her a long time to recover from that debacle.

Saturday will just be another day for me. :wave:
petunia4998

#12 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

I Believe Camping's previous prediction was in 1994 - he admitted to a miscalculation on that one.
...the most telling factor here is that his Family Radio network is still soliciting 'operational donations', meaning that even HE doesn't believe that he is right.

2011 End Times Prediction confirms that Camping's previous calculation was for September 1994. A few days after it didn't happen, Camping claimed a miscalculation.

Here is how Camping arrived at 21 May 2011:

1. The number five equals "atonement", the number ten equals "completeness", and the number seventeen equals "heaven".
2. Christ is said to have hung on the cross on April 1, 33 AD. The time between April 1, 33 AD and April 1, 2011 is 1,978 years.
3. If 1,978 is multiplied by 365.2422 days (the number of days in a solar year, not to be confused with the lunar year), the result is 722,449.
4. The time between April 1 and May 21 is 51 days.
5. 51 added to 722,449 is 722,500.
6. (5 10 17)^2 or (atonement completeness heaven)^2 also equals 722,500.

I would just like to note that from 1 April 33 (Julian calendar) to 1 April 2011 (Gregorian calendar) is NOT exactly 1,978 solar years. The length of a Julian year is 365.25 days, not 365.2425 days like the Gregorian - a difference of 14 days over that span of time.

Alas, as a Jew, Jesus probably followed the Hebrew calendar (averaging 365.2468 days per year). 1 April 33 AD (Julian) fell on 12 Andar 3793 (Anno Mundi). 1 April 2011 AD (Gregorian) fell on 26 Andar II 5771 (Anno Mundi). This gives us 1978 Hebrew years and 29 days. That means there were approximately 722,487 days between 12 Andar 3793 (AM) and 26 Andar II 5771 (AM). Add 51 days to arrive at 17 Iyyar 5771 (AM) for a total of 722,538 days since Jesus was crucified. This is off Camping's prediction by 38 days, meaning the Rapture should have happened over a month ago.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#13 mrsspookypants

mrsspookypants

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Aloha, Magik62 and I are having a "Welcome the Rapture" party in the chat room. We are waiting to hear the results as the first part of the world hits the 6PM predicted deadline!

#14 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:26 AM

The helium-filled sex doll rapture parties I've seen on facebook actually crack me up. that was a clever idea.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#15 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

I didn't get raptured out.....
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users