Fort Casey, Whidbey Island, WA

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:37 AM

I grew up in Washington State and a popular place for most groups to have retreats and campouts was, and still is, Fort Casey on Whidbey Island.

One summer my mother took us to its campground to be in a Parents Without Partners campout. My brothers not only told me the urban legend of Bigfoot and the couple in the disabled VW bug, they also mentioned that Ted Bundy had escaped and was on the loose (don't remember if this was true or not because I was only 10ish and didn't watch the news).

Another little girl and I decided to walk from the campground up to the abandonded bunkers. We were the only ones around and we didn't dare go into the dark bunker tunnels, and, spooked by the darkness in them, we decided to walk back to the campsite. It was daylight, but as we went back along the forest path, we felt like we were being watched and followed. It was a very long walk back!

http://www.visitwhid...land-Parks.html

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users