Halloween Party Locations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sinister

sinister

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Dudleytown<br />Haunted/ Abandoned Asylums<br /><br /><br />I enjoy thrills, dangerous outings...I want to feel my skin crawl with fear. I haven't yet found the thrill I am seeking, but this place gives me a better opportunity to find cool and interesting locations.

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hello All,

About a week ago the idea to throw a Halloween party 'Halloween' style popped into my head. I began a manic search for a rustic cabin to rent. Few are available, and of that few only 3 are open through OCT. All have quiet hours. So that bulb has expired.

Next I looked into furnished rental homes. One I stayed at a few years ago is a possible candidate. Sleeps 26 in a guest and bunkhouse. Don't expect 26 to spend the night, although I anticipate ~30 guests. But this is still not entirely what I want.

Then I figured a barn would be great as well. Turns out most barn rentals are designed for weddings and such. I'm looking for the abandoned, beat-up type.

All these locations would be at least 90 mins from the city, so that's another issue, though I'd cope with it for the perfect setup.

I have now turned to looking for something more local, less money spent on transport and rental and more spent on decorations, etc. My options are either a secluded basement or perhaps a church.

St. Elias church in Brooklyn is perfect. http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=3043
I need to call and see the price, but it seems like it'll be hefty. And I'm not sure how they feel about a party.

I haven't looked into secluded basements yet.

My issue is I am looking to rent something that isn't designed to be desired for rental. I want dark, dingy, scary. I want to have strange characters around the perimeter in costume but not even in the party just for effect. I was going to have a Sasquatch just roaming around the cabin, never to be introduced to the party...ever. The fact that people would see this and not get any payoff would make it all the more mind-boggling imo.

BUT I NEED A LOCATION! Any ideas??????

Thanks,

Edwin

#2 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

Do you live in/near rural areas? You could check with local farmers that have old pole sheds, etc., and see what they might think of that. The only problem with the whole idea is liability issues for the owners of the property. That's why the hefty rental fees - they have insurance to pay in case someone gets hurt. Home owners insurance might not cover injuries that could happen with someone being careless in their barns. Especially if there is liqueur being served.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#3 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

so you're really looking for a weird old cabin next to the woods? I don't know your area, so I am no help there. What about an old warehouse?

Edited by Cryscat, 30 August 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#4 sinister

sinister

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Dudleytown<br />Haunted/ Abandoned Asylums<br /><br /><br />I enjoy thrills, dangerous outings...I want to feel my skin crawl with fear. I haven't yet found the thrill I am seeking, but this place gives me a better opportunity to find cool and interesting locations.

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

Do you live in/near rural areas? You could check with local farmers that have old pole sheds, etc., and see what they might think of that. The only problem with the whole idea is liability issues for the owners of the property. That's why the hefty rental fees - they have insurance to pay in case someone gets hurt. Home owners insurance might not cover injuries that could happen with someone being careless in their barns. Especially if there is liqueur being served.

I don't. Closest would be at least 90 min drive. I think I may just resort to driving around and see what I find. I doubt I will find anything online that is not specifically for rentals, which will more than likely not be the setting I hope to create.

I contacted the Church and the fee is $1,000 for the night, and they will allow one week of setup at no fee if no other bookings. Since it is abandoned, bookings are few and far between. I can also elect to rent the larger space for $800 or the smaller space for $600. The space is huge, much bigger than I need as I hope to only have 50 or so guests.

It's definitely worth the asking price, plus it's local. I like the warehouse idea. I'll check around the more secluded city areas and see what I kind find. I'm 30, so it's not like a bunch of kids will be running amok, so hopefully they'll not worry about fatalities...i mean injuries.

#5 nq13

nq13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:WE ARE ANONYMOUS
    WE ARE LEGION
    WE NEVER FORGIVE
    WE NEVER FORGET
    EXPECT US

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hello there Sinister;
What a fantastic idea. I live North of you in Rockland County, (Over the TZ Bridge from Westchester) We are not rural here. We are the typical NY suburb just like Westchester. Although I think Westchester might hold more than Rockland just because of its size alone.
I don't know if you found anything and granted it is a little late for this years Halloween, but I am going to be on the look out for next year.
I have always wanted to throw a Halloween type party with all the trimmings if you know what I mean. My house is too small and I don't even get trick-or-treaters. I know Boo Whoo. My point is I am an adult (older than you) If I do find something maybe we could go half on the cost of the place. I would only be inviting 10-13 people at most but willing to go all out. That is if I can find a place by next year. Let me know-NatashA
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 sinister

sinister

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Hello there Sinister;
What a fantastic idea. I live North of you in Rockland County, (Over the TZ Bridge from Westchester) We are not rural here. We are the typical NY suburb just like Westchester. Although I think Westchester might hold more than Rockland just because of its size alone.
I don't know if you found anything and granted it is a little late for this years Halloween, but I am going to be on the look out for next year.
I have always wanted to throw a Halloween type party with all the trimmings if you know what I mean. My house is too small and I don't even get trick-or-treaters. I know Boo Whoo. My point is I am an adult (older than you) If I do find something maybe we could go half on the cost of the place. I would only be inviting 10-13 people at most but willing to go all out. That is if I can find a place by next year. Let me know-NatashA

Hello Natasha,

Sadly I will not be able to pull this off. Once I spoke to the real estate agent for the Church (I spoke to a secretary previously) and explained the rental, they said the owners would want no part of it. I looked into warehouses, but again, none really had one-day bookings...its just too much trouble in terms of insurance etc for an agent to care for. And even so, it was not the type of setting I wanted to work with. Although I did have some ideas that may have worked well.

This has happened with last minute costume ideas before, and I managed to hold off til the following year and execute to perfection. So we should definitely look to exchange ideas. If i did go through with the warehouse, I was thinking about having a Saw type of invite where people did not know who the invitation was from, of course with a few moles within each circle of friends to kind of push people to attend. So being at a Halloween party with strangers just adds to the experience imo.

Though I do not frequent these boards frequently, I do check in every now and then. But feel free to shoot me an email at emaraj8192@hotmail.com and/or request me on Facebook using the same email, so we can maintain contact.

I will be passing up North past you to Ulster Park on Thurs for the Headless Horseman Attraction, so I'll keep my eye open for any locations that may suit our needs, a barn perhaps. Have a great Halloween.

-Edwin

#7 sinister

sinister

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Hey Natasha,

I received a bunch of emails from you on my personal account, but am not sure you have received any of my replies. I cant send a PM here bc my post count is a bit low, but check your email again.

Hope to hear from you soon.

-Edwin

#8 nq13

nq13

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:WE ARE ANONYMOUS
    WE ARE LEGION
    WE NEVER FORGIVE
    WE NEVER FORGET
    EXPECT US

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hey Sinister;

So Sorry, Don't know what's going on. Please try my email again and I will turn off all filters. npq13@hotmail.com Can't wait to hear from you. -Natasha
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 sinister

sinister

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hey Sinister;

So Sorry, Don't know what's going on. Please try my email again and I will turn off all filters. npq13@hotmail.com Can't wait to hear from you. -Natasha

Resent them. Hope u receive them.

-edwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users