Ghost Walks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

In the city which I have lived Ghost Walks were popular during the summer and early fall. Although I enjoyed the walks 95% of the employees I have found to be egotistical. I found that when you attempt to share an experience you've had they appear to believe you. It is as if they are the only people who can have an experience because of where they work. On one occasion the gentleman who owned the company was dismissive of what I was trying to share. I couldn't believe it! I would have thought being a believer he would be open but I was wrong. Does anyone else have haunted walks in the city or town and what are your views?Posted Image
Right this way to my haunted space.

#2 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm a tour guide for a popular ghost tour in Huntington, WV. I cannot speak for anyone other than myself, but maybe I can shed a bit of perspective on such incidents. I have no idea how the tour is conducted where you are, but my tours are all volunteer ran and we do not charge for these tours. Given their popularity, there have been times when I have had to lead up to 4 tours a night, and our walking tours last a little over an hour and a half. In times where we are low on volunteer guides, I may have less than five minutes between tours to catch my breath, grab a drink of water, and head out with the next group.

I truly love interacting with my tour guests, and love to hear their stories, especially ones pertaining to stops on the tour. A lot of valuable leads and tips for new places on the tour, as well as additional stories and verification for regular stops has come from our guests. However, I will be the first to admit that perhaps I don't come off as interested as I should be a lot of the time, lol. My mind, while on the tour, is getting everyone safely from place to place, and providing the best information I have through the best possible presentation. I want all guests to have a great experience, and sometimes, my mind is not on hearing everyone's personal experiences that they're trying to share during the tour, or immediately after as I'm gathering my things to head out on the next.

I always try to encourage guests to contact us through our FaceBook or website if they have something they want to share, but many just want to talk things out with someone who understands. I love being that person, but sometimes I just can't. I can't always provide the answers or validation they want and I will sometimes resort to "stock" answers or responses when I'm not sure otherwise how to respond at that time. I also can't always give them the time and attention they deserve when I have up to 25 people in a group all wanting to tell me something or ask something. I feel terrible about it, but it is what it is, I guess.
Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#3 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

These people are paid through the company to present these tours. There are about 12 employees that give these 5 different tours. I did mean to say didn't believe sorry for that type o. Most tours last about the same as yours. We have always made sure to go on the last tour. It sounds to me like it just maybe the people they have working for them. Some employees who used to give tours now work in the office. Being as we have gone on these tours so many times we would noticed things that tourists wouldn't. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Being the owner of this company I still think that when he does make appearances at the ticket both I believe he should give of his time since we are the people who keep him going when the tourists are gone.

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

There is an inherent problem with regards to tour groups, etc. The guides do this on a repeated basis, and though you may think your story is unique the guides have likely heard it all before. They are more concerned with whatever they are presenting, not something unrelated to their program. Not making excuses, just explaining why it might be that it appears that way.

The same also holds for investigations. As an investigator you would be surprised at how many times the stories are similar between clients. Difference there is investigations by nature are more one on one. They DO deal with whatever the client is concerned with.

My recommendations would be go on a ghost walk and enjoy it for what it is. It is a group oriented event. But if you want to relate something or get feedback consider dealing more with a local investigator.

#5 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have seen our local investigators and I wasn't impressed. Two Halloween's ago we went to a theater they had investigated for the reveal. When listening to the evps all you could hear was this guy sniffing because he had a cold. Then them dropping paper. Why you would need to have your questions written down is beyond me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users