• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ohreally?

ohreally?

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

CALL me a converted skeptic. Three years ago I identified problems in previous climate studies that, in my mind, threw doubt on the very existence of global warming. Last year, following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I’m now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause. http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Climate 'Weirdness' Throws Ecosystems 'Out Of Kilter
Podcast http://www.npr.org/2...s-out-of-kilter

Science journalist Michael Lemonick doesn't want to be a doomsday prophet, but he does want to be realistic about the threat of climate change. "Since I started writing about climate change all the way back in 1987, we've known what the cause is, we've known what the likely outcome is, and we've had time to act — and essentially we haven't acted," he tells Fresh Air's Dave Davies.
Lemonick is the co-author of a new book, Global Weirdness: Severe Storms, Deadly Heat Waves, Relentless Drought, Rising Seas, and the Weather of the Future. The book, published by the nonprofit research organization Climate Central, details the effects of climate change and greenhouse gases in ocean acidity, existing ecosystems, disruptions to food supply and rising sea levels. Lemonick says sea level has risen by about eight inches overall worldwide since around 1900, and the waters are expected to rise an estimated three feet by 2100.
"Sometimes we forget that the damage in New Orleans in 2005 from Hurricane Katrina came not from wind or rain, but from the storm surge [that caused flooding] ahead of that storm," Lemonick says. If sea levels rise as expected, "all of those storm surges are going to be starting from a level three feet higher, which means that they have much greater potential to drive inland, to wash over barrier islands, and to really inundate the coast. ... Many, many millions of people and trillions of dollars of infrastructure are in serious danger, if those projections are correct."

Interview Highlights:

On how scientists calculate temperatures from hundreds of thousands of years ago
On carbon dioxide making the oceans more acidic
On how long carbon dioxide stays in the atmosphere
On the effect climate change will have on infectious diseases
The effect of climate change on animal populations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users