Curious about the Aswang legend.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Howdy, Villagers! I recently married a beautiful Filipina from Metro Manila. Durin g the whole dating period, the subject of likes/dislikes came up and I mentioned to her my like for paranormal. She then explained to me that she thought her younger sister was stalked briefly by an Aswang when she was pregnant. The more we talked, the more I realized she was serious about this belief! I am asking for anyone's input into this legend, aside from doing a basic Google search (which I have already done!) I found it very interesting that as she described the creature (a flying upper torso of a vamperic-like female), it reminded me of something from my old D&D days. Sure enough, on page 71 of the Fiend Folio, there is a creature called Penanggalan, which fits the bill to a T!! Most of the creatures portrayed in the game are ones based off of legends, so it made sense. Why it just happens to be the most detailed-described creature in Folio is .....also interesting. So again, anyone with tales, sightings, or otherwise, please post it! Thanks!
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

#2 TheresaRHPS

TheresaRHPS

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

I actually just watched a documentary on this a few weeks ago, lol. What I find most fascinating is that it is such a widespread, common belief...like everyday knowledge. It is just an accepted piece of culture to so many. Anyway, here's the documentary if you haven't already come across it:

Huntington Paranormal Investigations and ResearchCheck out my website

#3 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

Congratulations on your marriage Rayzr! :)

I feel the aswang is a hold over from pre-Spanish colonization before Christianity was introduced here. Aswang is just one of many mythical 'creatures' that we have here.

Personally I feel people mostly use them to scare kids (and grown ups) into doing something. Sorta like telling the kids to not stay up too late or else the aswang will come and take them away. Also, if someone has a miscarriage they'll say an aswang took it.

To me it's the aswang is like the 'bogeyman'

What's great though are the stories you hear about them and some of the horror films and TV shows involving the aswang. Many of those are great to listen to and fun to watch in a scaredy cat sorta way.

Whatever

#4 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Congratulations on your marriage Rayzr! Posted Image

I feel the aswang is a hold over from pre-Spanish colonization before Christianity was introduced here. Aswang is just one of many mythical 'creatures' that we have here.

Personally I feel people mostly use them to scare kids (and grown ups) into doing something. Sorta like telling the kids to not stay up too late or else the aswang will come and take them away. Also, if someone has a miscarriage they'll say an aswang took it.

To me it's the aswang is like the 'bogeyman'

What's great though are the stories you hear about them and some of the horror films and TV shows involving the aswang. Many of those are great to listen to and fun to watch in a scaredy cat sorta way.

'Also, if someone has a miscarriage they'll say an aswang took it.' by 'it' I mean the baby. Just thought I'd clarify that :)

Whatever

#5 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Congrats on the marriage and many content years again. I've never heard of this before I'll have to watch the documentary.
Right this way to my haunted space.

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I dunno much about this particular legend, but in my native place, we have a strikingly similar legend, and infact my mother whhile she was pregnant with me, seems to have encountered this entity as well.
Posted Image

#7 rayzrwyre

rayzrwyre

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in intelligent conversations with like-minded people who share a fascination with all things paranormal........now where would I find such wonderful people like that???

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Where the Western world is enraptured with vampires, I believe Axl can back me up on the fact the Aswang is the Filipino equivelant. I had to laugh (silently to myself!) when my wife expressed concerns about moving to Savannah because in all the pictures I took of the historic district, she says the city is covered in 'Aswang trees'! Or, more commonly known as oak trees covered in Spanish moss!

Thanks for the well wishes! I am looking forward to a long happy life! <3
"Excuse me while I slip out of these wet clothes and into a dry martini!" - Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users