Storm Sandy

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 White Witch

White Witch

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Spirits, Photography, Paranormal Programs, Old Homes and Cottage Life

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

We still have clouds coming through my area. There are some people here who were hoping for time off work and upset because we didn't get it. Then complain that we have no interesting weather here. How dumb can you be?
Right this way to my haunted space.

#17 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

We got a total of 3.5 inches of rain and winds to 45 mph gusts. Then it switched to snow, and another 4 inches of that. Minor power drops here but no extended outages. The worst is going north now, winds and rain are slowing. It wasn't as bad as it could have been here, but areas not far from me are dealing with 10-12 inches of snow and stream flooding. The snow is actually a good thing. It locked up some of the precipitation and kept the rainfall totals down. This in turn minimized flooding on the rivers. As is, only some minor river flooding is expected Wednesday through Friday.

That's good, CaveRat!

We still have clouds coming through my area. There are some people here who were hoping for time off work and upset because we didn't get it. Then complain that we have no interesting weather here. How dumb can you be?

Seriously! Though, Jo and I were glad we had Monday and Tuesday off, because we have a coworker off to take care of her grandson, and we're covering her area on top of ours. Let's just say... Superstorm Sandy kickstarted the winter aches and pains for me, and work just exasperated them even more.

Posted Image

Cry Havoc! And let loose the Dobermans of war!

My knitting and crocheting blog.

Life is too short to take seriously, none of us get out of it alive.

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

http://www.nomorerack.com/?cr=9281971

#18 DukeofBoogie

DukeofBoogie

Did the Time Warp at his wedding!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,274 posts
  • Interests:The Paranormal, Rock music, Movies, History (Especially the American Civil War), and spending time with my wife and daughter.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

This is the first time in almost 35 years of exsistence, all spent in Cleveland, OH, that we've been affected to such a degree by a hurricane/tropical storm. We lost power about 9:15 pm on Monday. It was restored sometime early Wednesday. We were able to spend the night at my brother's house, so my daughter had a nice warm bed on tuesday night. There are other suburbs closer to Lake Erie that still have no electricity. This is the third day that the kids in our little town (Brooklyn, OH) have no school. There are about six utility poles down on the main road nearby. Halloween has been moved to Sunday. The funny thing is that all my outdoor decorations survived! Trees and polls are falling everywhere, and my styrofoam graveyard is intact.

But with all this going on here, it could have been much worse. I'm thankful that we're all okay, and I'm praying for everyone on the coast who got hit much harder.

Finally, Thank you to the men and women at First Energy, and other power companies who are working around the clock to restore everybodies electricity. And a bigger thank you to all the police, fire fighters, and healthcare workers who are also working around the clock saving lives and keeping us safe.

Edited by DukeofBoogie, 01 November 2012 - 05:53 AM.

http://www.facebook....59567008?v=wallhttp://www.cdbaby.co...eblackriverboyshttp://www.zoarcivilwar.com/In great deeds something abides. On great fields something stays.....Spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision place of souls. And reverent men and women from afar, and generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! The shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into thier soles.-Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

I've been hit byPosted Image mrsspookypants

#19 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I am seeing some scary pics on FB, even huge sharks swimming in the street!!

Moonie - I believe we've already discussed this. It was a fake photo. Posted Image

Well, with that being said, here in the middle of southern Connecticut, we fared pretty well. Lots more wind than rain. I live far enough from the coast to not have to worry about storm surges and waves. There were people, less than 5 miles south of where I am who were flooded out of their neighborhoods, lost power and, in some cases, lost their roofs. But where I live, there were some branches on the ground, that's all. And we never lost power! :)

I do feel bad for the people living in New Jersey (well, I always feel bad for those guys because they live in New Jersey!) and NYC. The videos and photos of what happened to them is incredible. It just goes to show that Mother Nature is very powerful.

Edited by meanderer, 01 November 2012 - 01:37 PM.

Beannacht ort

#20 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Since so much of my family and friends live in Connecticut I stayed up 'till 3am 2 nights in a row watching the national news reports on what was happening.
Yesterday one spot on the news a reporter was talking with a fireman in New Jersey. A house had just started burning. The power had just come on and of course everything was in water so.... They put the fire out and were talking about it when this firemen says...... "We feel for everybody here because we ARE everybody here." I had to write that down. Seemed like such a profound thing to say. Something to think about for sure.
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#21 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking, reading, listening to music and singing

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

I am seeing some scary pics on FB, even huge sharks swimming in the street!!

Moonie - I believe we've already discussed this. It was a fake photo. Posted Image

Well, with that being said, here in the middle of southern Connecticut, we fared pretty well. Lots more wind than rain. I live far enough from the coast to not have to worry about storm surges and waves. There were people, less than 5 miles south of where I am who were flooded out of their neighborhoods, lost power and, in some cases, lost their roofs. But where I live, there were some branches on the ground, that's all. And we never lost power! Posted Image

I do feel bad for the people living in New Jersey (well, I always feel bad for those guys because they live in New Jersey!) and NYC. The videos and photos of what happened to them is incredible. It just goes to show that Mother Nature is very powerful.

I know! Mom was in shock at how bad it was, since she was born and lived there for a long while. It's still her home, more than here. Though, she did say she's darn glad she wasn't there during the storm/hell on earth.

Posted Image

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be.Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

#22 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

I feel horrible just to mention this, but you all have probably already seen the national news today. They mentioned a new storm brewing in the same spot that Sandy originated. :(
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#23 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Oh god... We're probably gonna get screwed again.

Posted Image

#24 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hope not. Geeeeze I should just leave the TV off on the evening. Now I have to worry all over again. :( OR.... I should read again your signature (is that what it's called?) LycanGhost about only living in today and choosing to be happy. I should read that more often.

#25 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Mhm, that's what it's called! Heck, I've got to keep rereading it myself just to try to stop stressing over my dad's idiotic behaviour. Mom said a few minutes ago about us being hit by a noreaster... Ugh!

Posted Image

#26 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Me too. I'm one of those "do as I say, not as I do" people. But really.... I've read your signature so often to remind myself that I'm the boss of myself, not other people's behavior. Most of the time it works. :)

There are a few times like this when I'm happy to be in Texas away from those noreasters. My old bones couldn't take that any more!

#27 LycanGhost

LycanGhost

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

Heck, my young bones can't take it! now to save up a buttload and move somewhere more hospitable!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users